LaptopVideo2Go Forums

farcry will not load on my i8600!! help!!

whiteashcm1

i have a I8600 with the combo drive and dvd burner option. how are you people able to load farcry especially on a i8600? the game looks great but i cant even load it all. this game has 5 cd's and when i install disc 5 my cdrom goes crazy making all kinds of noise like it is trying to find a file and then this error pops up saying "error 1131 cannot find file D/data.cab file. this is driving me crazy. i thought the cdrom was bad so i returned the game for another one and second game did the same thing. does anybody know of a fix or have the same problem?? also, when this happens my cdrom locks up and i cant even remove the cd from the drive unless i reboot. whats weird is when you go into my computer the D drive is missing, its like windows doesnt even see it, even when i go into the device manager the dvd rom is gone like windows cant even see it. any help from you gamers out there would be much appreciated.. thanks,, steve

Guest TKingSGO

First, I'd recommend using a CD Drive cleaner. Secondly, I'd recommend checking for updated drivers for your laptop, particularily the ones relating to the CD Drive.

• 4 weeks later...

When it locks up and Windows can't recognize it, try using a paper clip to take the disk out, then tell me if Windows recognizes the drive.

I had a DVD-ROM drive on a Dell Dimension 8200 that wouldn't work right and was not even detected half of the time. I called Dell and they had to come out and replace the drive. If you return the game again and it still does not work you need to get the latest drivers and firmware for your drive. If that doesn't work your DVD-ROM drive is broke/messed up and you might need to get a new one.

So, first get the latest drivers and firmware for your drive from Dell.

Second clean your CD and the drive to if you have one of those drive cleaner disks.

You should check to see if another PC like a desktop can read the CD correctly.

It really sounds like you don't have the latest drivers and firmware.

They can be found here:

http://support.dell.com/filelib/Devices.as...NS_PNT_P4M_8600

Dell has released new drivers and firmware for my combo drive that are supposed to fix reading issues and compatablity so I imagine you need the latest drivers and firmware. If getting those does not fix it, then your drive is broken.