LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GF4 440Go on Dell C840

Guest fletcher

Guest fletcher

Thanks to Pieter et.al. (and no thanks to Dell) I am now running 60.85 on my C840 Latitude. I began this upgrade journey because I could not see the graphics in a game when a friend with an Inspiron 8500 (with supposedly the same GF4440Go card) could. I am running DirectX9b; the DXCapsviewer shows that the PixelShaderVersion is 0.0. I need at least 1.1 to view the graphics.

So, can anyone shed some light on the following:

a) access D3DDEVTYPE_HAL to upgrade the PixelShaderVersion (if possible)

:) is there a difference in the card (from Dell) on the two different systems or is the systems accessing the cards that is different?

c) is the Go card on a C840 exchangeable (that is, should I just upgrade to a better card)?

d) am I even asking the right type of questions?

Thanks in advance

P.S. Today is my birthday; a solution would be a great present :)

The GeForce4 440 go does NOT support pixel shaders, so you will need a new card.

Sorry, I have to live with it too. :)

I think it might be possible to emulate pixel shaders, but I don't know where to get a program like that though.

Besides, it would run slow anyway.

Guest fletcher

hmmm, now I'm confused...my friend with the Inspiron 8500 also has the GeForce4 440 Go card and IS able to view pixel shaders..

and, I just finished compiling the SHPRTPixel example in the DX90SDK and it reports using the D3DDEVTYPE_REF. When I looked at the DXCapsViewer, the reference version sets the PixelShaderVersion at soemthing above 0.

I agree I should upgrade the card, but now I'm real curious. Thx

you sure your friend with the I8500 doesnt have the gf4 4200 go?

-D6

Guest fletcher

I'll double check...he said he had the same card but from all the above I doubt it now

In any case it appears I need to get a better card...does anyone the best place/card compatible w/ C840 (besides Dell)?

I would bet that your freind DOES have a different card.

I don't think an emulator was ever created. But yes, it would run terribly slow.

Thus the answer is a new card. I have no clue of the upgrade's for a C840.

I don't think an emulator was ever created.  But yes, it would run terribly slow.....

I just found a link to 3danalyze. :)

It can let you emulate DX 8.1 effects on an older card.

I have never used it but you could probably get certain games to run using it.

Here is a screen shot.

3d234.jpg

Here is a thread about it

http://forums.theddrzone.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=361

and a link to a site where you can download it.

http://www.tommti-systems.com/main-Dateien/files.html just click on the picture to download it

I think it sounds interesting, you can run the nature demo in 3Dmark 2001 SE on a GF 4 MX/Go card.