LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Line added to inf to install driver

aye29

What line(s) do I have to add to a stock nVidia inf file that will allow me to install a desktop driver on my laptop? I want to learn more about modding video driver inf's but I have no idea where to start. Right now I just want to know what I have to do to the inf so that I can install the desktop driver on my laptop. I am not interested in enabling any extra features like clock frequency controls, multiple desktops, etc yet. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I have a Dell I8600, with FX5650 Go.

Well you could start by reading through these forums and Peiters page and you could compare various INFs (Laptop ones vs. Desktop ones). It would be nice to have some sort of guide or page somewere that told more about various inf lines.

If there is a website that has that I would like to know about it too.

That's why this forum and Pieters page is here. Reading, trying, comparing. That's what it's all about.

aye29,

Have a carefule look at the beginnig of the INF the section headed [NVIDIA.Mfg] these with the section headed (at the bottom of INFs ; Localizable Strings

These determine what GPU's are to be included in the installation.

It's gets a little more complicated as in the NVIDIA.Mfg] section you have to add a header name for the installer to use, ie specific bits for your GPU.

Have a look and play around, any Q's just ask, it was a year ago I was in the same boat.

Very soon as some NDA's get lifted, my INFs will include Desktop support.

They will have all the tweaks that we enjoyed on our laptops.

We could even maybe have more tweaks enabled than other sites.

If I get time tonight I'll modify 61.40, so you guys can have a look and I can iron out any problems (hopefully already done but can't allow for all possibilities)

The INFs will be v30.xx as they are completly new.

With new settings enabled, that we have found over here.

Watch this space,

Pieter.

Update:

20th June 2004

Tweaks Page

I've updated my Tweaks Explained page to explain what some of the settings do, feel free to eperiment with them (at your own risk!!), some of these settings will be making their way in to Version 30.xx of my INFs to be released very soon.

I guess i will quote the tweaks page too...

Tweaks that I know of: 
Here are the tweaks that I know so far, hours of modding and rebooting, modding etc.

[nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] Value                              Comment

DevicesConnected           0x00DDTTAA     Masks devices considered present even if they arn't physically connected.  
                           0x1            1xCRT attached (ie 0x3 3xCRT's attached) 
                           0x100          1xTV attached (ie 0x300 3xTV's attached) 
                           0x10000        1xDFP attached (ie 0x30000 3xDFP's attached) 
                           0x10101        1xCRT, TV and DFP attached (INF default) 
DisableTVClockInversion    1              Prevents TV clock signal from inverting, usefull for Chrontel TV encoders 
EnableAGPSBA               1              Enable AGP Sideband addressing (override Chipset default) 
MapOSD3ToNV                2              Map power level 3 to NVIDIA power level 2, needed on some Laptop 
                           3              Map power level 3 to NVIDIA power level 3, Allows D3 cold support 
NvCplConfiguration         0              Enables screen spanning across 2 screens 
NvCplEnableRotatePage      1              This with RotateFlag (below) enables Rotate Page 
RotateFlag                 4              Used with above to enable Rotate page.............

The rest of the tweaks can be found on the Tweaks page.

Here is a link to the page for all the lazy people out there.

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/pages/tweaks.htm

Edit: Pieter beat me again.....

Man you must type fast...

2nd Edit: I can't wait for the next INFs. :)

3rd Edit: I spelled Pieter wrong. (got the i and e mixed up) *Bangs self on head* :)

Bill I have been working on this for a while, I have finished the modding of 61.40 with the new settings and Deskptop compatability as well.

I must do an explaination of what my v30's do and don't, somethings had to go for the good of the masses.

Have a look at the INF dowload page for the link to v30.09 of 61.40.

Enjoy,

Pieter.