Inspiron 5150

Guest Mike Abrams

Guest Mike Abrams

I have the Inspiron 5150 3.06 ghz, no HT

512 kingston w/heatsink ram

40 gig Hd

UXGA 15'

I currently have been using the 53.03 provided by stardom with the 25.05 inf

in 3dmark2001 i am getting a score of 6303. Is this considered poor performance on this system. I am not using the explorer shell i am using a replacement shell called litestep. I am also using the reg entry to load the windows kernal in ram. The game i play most on this machine is FAR CRY. My main question is what drivers should i be using for this game and what scores should i be getting if im using the right drivers.

Mike Abrams

toxsid@comcast.net

Do you have the 32MB or 64MB version?

The 32MB has a big disadvantage when it comes to benchmarks.

StarStorm only seems to help the older GPU's GF2go and GF4go.

The Display properties are set to max performance ?

Somethings to think about.

Pieter

Have you played with the settings at all in the Display Properties, StarStorm work best unaltered when installed.

Are you using the Benchmark version of the driver ?

Pieter.

Guest Mike Abrams

Im using the extra speed extra quality one, I just would like to know which driver gives the overall best performance out of them all.

please include inf version and driver version please (newbie sorry)

Hi,

i got the I5150, same config as ur's Mike, except the CPU. I got the 3.06 HT P4. My 3D Mark 2001 score is 6570 with NV61.12 and 6640 with NV61.34 driver. Display settings are as they are after installing the driver, unaltered.

Joint Ops runs nicely in 800x600 with full scene AA or without in 1280x960 and all settings to normal.

Guest Mike Abrams

I Dont alter any display settings as i do not know how. the only thing i do is turn off AA and AS and VSYNC. I just need to know what driver works best for farcry( driver version, inf version, where to download it (link)), I am experiencing slowdowns in game (did the air can/I8kfan mod) still farcry will work good for like 2 mins then have random slowdowns. I also am wondering if it has anything to do with my chipset drivers. I tried to install them via intels website, but when it installs it cant find such drivers as pciide.sys, agp.sys (not exact name) and i have to point to the old chipset drivers currently used, therefore doesnt update anything. am i doing something wrong or is other people having problems updating chipset drivers the new ones i want are 6.0.0.10.12 but it stays at 5.0.0.10.12 and some are 4.0.0.10.12. It almost makes me want to format but i dont know maybe u guys will come up with something.

Mike Abrams

@Mike

Perhaps u should try to clean up any temp files of ur system before trying to install the intel chipset driver update ( use programs->accessories->system tools->disc cleanup ). Maybe there are some older files from the intel chipset setup located there. U could also try to update from the dell website, they got the chipset driver too, but it's the same file, just packed in a dell setup i think.

And maybe u got other old driver inf's located in the DELL directory of ur bootdrive.

And don't use the DELL Nvidia driver, they're just to old and much to slow.

61.71 works fine for me, and try to disable shadows, that speeds up the games i tried much, donnu why, perhaps it's a problem with die FX5200 :)