Guest jvc

Hello all

I have an Dell Inspiron 8200

1.6 Ghz P4

256 mb ram

Geforce 4 440 go

UXGA screen (1600*1200)

Newest Bios's

well my problem is that when my screen changes resolution like when i start a game up the screen dosent "turn on" again and i have to press "Fn + F8" before it works again

I have tryed alot of things reading up on Dells Knowledge base tryed alot of different drivers but im hitting a dead end every time

my screen works nicely with the Driver from Dell (42.58 or something) but i want a newer driver

So if anyone got a pointer or solution it would be much appreciated

Hmm that is a strange problem. I was going to suggest the newest BIOS but I see you already have that. there is a BIOS update for the graphics card too if you don't have that already. I would ask you for the INF but I have it already. I will post it to see what we can find out. One driver that works good for me is the 56.54 with the NVDM INF (its a Dell INF) I even have a mod version that has more options enabled. I will look at the 42.58 Dell INF and see what is in that that makes your screeen work correctly. I was wondering do you have the Ultrasharp screen?

The first INF is the INF this guy is using for the 42.58 drivers.

The second one is a INF I modded for the 56.54 drivers.

I was wondering have you messed with the display adapter scaling options for your LCD? Also what resolution do you usaully run games at?

NVDM.INF

NVDM.INF

hello

I use 800*600 for games mostly

no i havent touched the Adapter Scaling options

umm

i dont have the best screen but the next best one i cant recall the name i think its uxga but im not sure

and thanks for the INI files i will look into it asap

*edit*

i use Windows 2000 will your INF work then ?

Edit: The drivers and INFs posted here are for both Win XP AND Win2k.

It better work, you might have the screen problem with it still but the 56.54 driver is here:

http://www.download.laptopvideo2go.com/nvi...series/5654.exe

plus the INF I posted should install just fine.

I have XP Pro with SP1 and you should get all the service packs for your Win2K.

I also use 800x600 or 1600x1200 in games because it doesnt get distorted, ect, when it scales it too fullscreen.

Maybe you should get XP.

I have never had any problems with the LCD screen with any of the drivers or INFs on Pieters page.

The reason why I modded that driver is because it is fast and stable for me as well as it has working TV out that most of the betas don't have.

Maybe you should try to install from the Dell INF from now on.

Here is what you need to know:

Now when you unzip that there will be 29 INFs in the folder, you can delete all of them but the Dell INF. My INF is just the Dell INF with more pages like powermizer and AGP settings page, ect, enabled but I did not enable the overclocking page.

Use the method described here to install it. (You don't have to worry about uninstalling the old driver just follow the steps to update it.)

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/pages/instructions.htm

If you need help installing the driver or something I should be on here so just PM or AIM me.

Edit: spelling and grammer mistakes

Do you have an external device to attach? I would suggest seeing if when starting a game it attempts to try an external device. Thus it would make sense that FN+F8 "fixes" the situation. This could easily be a registry fix.

Besides the Dell drivers, which are you attempting that produces this error?

Unless anyone here knows exactly what the registry fix is, I'm not sure what else to tell you. Maybe if you (or someone else) found out what part of the registry the problem is in I could tell you what settings I have. I have never had problems like this before so whatever setting I have must be right.

One thing that might fix the registry would be reinstalling Windows.

But I wouldnt try that yet.

jvc,

Have you tried to install 56.77 or 61.12 with the included nvdm.inf ?

These drivers have Dell INFs included with them.

You'll need to remove all the INFs but nvdm.inf then install.

Hope this helps,

Pieter.

I need to know more about which drivers you are attempting and which version of Pieter's INFs before I can pick up the right key.

It's possibly OverlayMode4, though I can't remember how OGL/D3D works off hand.

at the moment im using 56.54 with custom INF Bill gave me

But i also tryed pieters INF files no luck

i will give the 56.77 and 61.12 a try asap

Those 2 might work but, they have black and white TV-out for me I believe.

Tell me if you get that with those.

Do you think if he uninstalled the drivers and used a program like detonator destroyer to get rid of them then reinstalled them it might work?