LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GF2go 56.77 minor issues on I8200

Guest Marco

Guest Marco

Hello

First of all let me thank you for your work, it's excellent. My system is a Dell Inspiron 8200 P4 1.6 GHz, bios A08, WinXP Home SP1, and a geforce2go 32 MB with a UXGA screen.

It's been a long time since I worried about drivers for my geforce2go. I stuck with the 43.45 drivers with Teraphy's 1.17 inf for quite a while. No issues, great performance. However, I have found out that OpenGL doesn't work with them anymore. Since the last time I used OpenGL, the 2 major "system programs" I have installed are .NET and DX9b, so I assume that DX9b could be responsible.

Anyway, I upgraded to 56.77 (version number for no particular reason), and sure enough, OpenGL now works. Went back to 43.45, and failed again, and then tried 44.68 with no luck. So, I stuck with 56.77.

I now have v56.77 installed with the name "Geforce2go" (as opposed to "Dell 8200", which was considerably slower drawing windows). Performance is equal in 2D compared to my old 43.45, but I have some problems:

- The flicker when navigating to the properties tag, already read about it in this thread.

- After standby, nview mode defaults to clone (LCD + analog monitor which isn't attached) and leaves me at 800x600 (I use 1600x1200, and single screen). Maybe the standy fix install fixes this, but I would like previous confirmation before reinstalling.

- TV out generates a smaller viewing area with FS video (like 3/4 width of the TV).

- My "My Computer" icon which I have customized (a laptop :-)) is reset after reboots. And some window settings aren't saved.

The last issues I wouldn't blame on the drivers if it weren't for the exaggerated utilities and shell integrations, in my opinion (BTW there was an error when I right-clicked on AVI files saying that some nvidia thing couldn't be initialized, but it went away). It makes sense to me that desktop management messes around in this area.

So, my doubts are to whether it is known that DX9 or .NET influence OpenGL functions, and if there is a way to solve the issues that I explained above. I would also appreciate an explanation of the difference between "geforce2go" and "dell 8200" installs.

All uninstalls/installs made with "add/remove programs" and "have disk" methods. (Slightly off-topic: Strangely, the after uninstallation XP doesn't recognize the device as a video card, and doesn't install the standard Super VGA driver.)

Thank you very much for your time.

-Marco E.

I'm not sure how to fix this problem but I do know that there is a new BIOS for the I8200 here:

http://support.dell.com/FileLib/Format.asp...eleaseID=R71738

You should get that.

Edit: I'm not trying to put down your English skills but for some reason your post does confuse me, some of those problems you should be able to fix through the registry or INF.

You should clearly state what your problem(s) is/are that you need help with.

Maybe I'm confused cause I'm just out of it today.

Now that I'm finaly able to think again, there shouldnt be anything that could mess your OpenGL up and about the Dell 8200 versus Geforce 2 Go, that is just a name change in the INF, you can change the line near the bottem on the INF to say Dell 8200 if you really wanted to.

If you want it to say Dell 8200 change this:

NVIDIA_NV11.DEV_0112.1  = "GeForce2 Go"
NVIDIA_NV11.DEV_0112.2  = "GeForce2 Go w/Standby fix"

To this:

NVIDIA_NV11.DEV_0112.1  = "Dell 8200"
NVIDIA_NV11.DEV_0112.2  = "Dell 8200 w/Standby fix"

And about DX 9 and .NET messing your OpenGL up, try reinstalling DX9.0b and/or .NET.

Marco lets see what we can do,

- The flicker when navigating to the properties tag, already read about it in this thread.
this is covered else where in section (I assume it's the screen flashing when opening Display properties.
- After standby, nview mode defaults to clone (LCD + analog monitor which isn't attached) and leaves me at 800x600 (I use 1600x1200, and single screen). Maybe the standy fix install fixes this, but I would like previous confirmation before reinstalling.
This is an odd behaviour, I have mine set the same, and stanby resumes just fine.

Edit the INF look for this line

HKR,, DevicesConnected,              %REG_DWORD%,    1
place a ';' (semicolon) in front or delete the line completly, uninstall driver as you've done before.

Now re-install driver, no more devices attached to laptop.

I have a feeling that something else is causing this but this will remove the devices that are "forced to the laptop'

- TV out generates a smaller viewing area with FS video (like 3/4 width of the TV).
Try playing with the TV scaling properties.

Does this mean that TV is @640x480 instead of 800x600 ?

- My "My Computer" icon which I have customized (a laptop :-)) is reset after reboots. And some window settings aren't saved.
This is something else causing it.

I hope this helps,

Pieter.

Guest Marco

Thanks for your time.

Well, sorry for my English. It's my pseudo-native language, I was raised in the US but haven't lived there for ten years. I didn't think it had gotten that bad...

Anyway, I tried 54.01 following a recommendation in the " Report here which driver works on your Laptop" thread for an Inspiron 8200 and a GF2go. The blinking opening the tab in display properties is gone and also the clone after standby.

Basically the TV out is still too small, but it really isn't important. I do however have an explanation:

For the Chrontel 7007 you can set 800x600, 720x480 and 640x480. 800x600 and 640x480 look alright. However, 720x480 looks small (could be a specific problem with my TV). The driver is switching to 720x480 for fullscreen video, which makes it small on TV, no matter if I set 800x600 or 640x480 for the TV desktop.

However, as I said earlier, this is not important.

So basically my questions were to whether you had encountered these problems and if it was known that the 4x.xx drivers, being DX8 to my understanding (from reading the recommended versions thread), fail with OpenGL in a DX9 enviroment (where 5x.xx work, being DX9).

Thanks for your patience, consider my problems solved.

- Marco E.

I think it was more you jumping from subject to subject and not being clear about what you were talking about, anyway I think I'm going crazy so don't always listen to me lol.

About the TV-out being to small, can't you increase the size of the picture?

There should be an option in the screen adjustment to increase the size of the TV-out.

Here is a picture of the screen size menu on my old drivers.

Under Nview or something there should be a section called device adjustments, that is where it is atleast in the older drivers.

I would like to point out that many people that have lived in the US their whole lives still mess up on their English sometimes and I certainly can't brag about my foreign language skills. (or my spelling)

To up the screen size just move the slider right.

Edit: removed attachment

Guest Marco

I wish I had that screen. I have this.

Clipboard01.png

What driver version is your screenshot from? I suspect though that the TV encoder won't allow resizing. As I recall it only allowed overscan or underscan. Overscan was only possible with TVTool.

- Marco E.

Guest Marco

Oh, and also I fixed the icon issue. Since you have laptops, obviously, I thought you might like it. It's a ripoff of the graphic in the speakers setup tab.

laptop.png

Click here to download (dual resolution 48x48 and 32x32, 32 bit w/alpha channel).

Hey I like that. :)

How do you change the icon for it though?

About that screen what driver version are you running?

I'm currently running some old drivers (42.58) so I know yours is in a different place then mine is but you should have one unless your TV encoder is really different than mine.

It looks like you are running some 5x.xx or 6x.xx drivers

Hmm you said you are running some 54.01 drives?

I will install some forceware drivers and tell you how to get to that screen.

You should have it. I will post screenshots.

Edit: It seems you can't resize it. :)

The attached picture is what it looks like on my PC.

The part circled in red is the setting to make the size bigger.

So the other one obviously makes it smaller.

post-3-10888774630_thumb.jpg

Guest Marco

Yes, I was afraid of that. Well, too bad for me.

To set the "My Computer" icon go to display properties > desktop > customize desktop.

Thanks for your help.

- Marco E.

Guest Marco

Status update:

OpenGL died with 54.01 :) . This is ridiculous. Tested with a game called Neverball and ePSXe with an OpenGL plugin. It was working fine...

I updated to 61.40 with your "DevicesConnected" tweak and disabled coolbits. Everything looks good, even OpenGL. Hopefully, this is my last question: How do I disable the driver automatically changing the resolution on the TV for video mirror? I found this in the tweaks part of the website

Bit 20 (ox100000)  Let driver pick the full screen display mode

but I don't know where this goes, nor how to get the opposite.

Thanks

- Marco E.

Status update:

OpenGL died with 54.01 :) . This is ridiculous. Tested with a game called Neverball and ePSXe with an OpenGL plugin. It was working fine...

I updated to 61.40 with your "DevicesConnected"  tweak and disabled coolbits. Everything looks good, even OpenGL. Hopefully, this is my last question: How do I disable the driver automatically changing the resolution on the TV for video mirror? I found this in the tweaks part of the website

Bit 20 (ox100000)   Let driver pick the full screen display mode

but I don't know where this goes, nor how to get the opposite.

Thanks

- Marco E.

About this:

OverlayMode2 Bit 20 (ox100000) Let driver pick the full screen display mode

That is under [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] in the INF.

What you should change it too I'm not sure.

In the 61.40 INF this is the part in it I think:

[nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings]
HKR,, InstalledDisplayDrivers,       %REG_MULTI_SZ%, nv4_disp
HKR,, DevicesConnected,              %REG_DWORD%,    0x10101
HKR,, NvCplEnableHardwarePage,       %REG_DWORD%,    1
HKR,, MultiFunctionSupported,        %REG_DWORD%,    1
HKR,, OverlayMode2,                  %REG_DWORD%,    0xF00050
HKR,, OverlayMode3,                  %REG_DWORD%,    0x10400001
HKR,, OverlayMode4,                  %REG_DWORD%,    0x3
HKR,, RotateFlag,                    %REG_DWORD%,    4
HKR,, VgaCompatible,                 %REG_DWORD%,    0

The OverlayMode2 is what you are looking for.

Edit: I have this pic and want to turn it into an icon. As soon as i find a good program to do it I will post it.

post-3-10889093590_thumb.jpg

Change to 0xE00050 to not let the driver pick the display mode.

A lot of these newer settings are still questionable. We don't know how it will affect the end user (like or dislike it).

FYI, OverlayMode2 has Bits 4, 6 and 20 set by default.

Guest Marco

Ok, I tried changing to 0xE00050 and reinstalling, and it didn't work. The resolution still changes with video mirror. I remember an option in older drivers that let you change this directly. Does the associated registry setting still exist?

For Bill:

I use icon sushi to convert a PNG to a windows 32 bit icon. Personally I use the GIMP to make/edit the PNG, but you could use any program that supports PNGs with alpha channel. Both the GIMP and icon sushi are free.

- Marco E.

Good call, Pieter. I should keep my mouth closed when it's late and I'm tired :)

Good call, Pieter.  I should keep my mouth closed when it's late and I'm tired :P
Hehe, I should keep my mouth shut too sometimes. lol :)

As for Marco, I have Paint Shop Pro 7 and a few other good image editing programs (as well as a lot of video editing stuff) so I think I'm just about covered.

Now I just need to learn how to use all of them. :)

If your wondering, to capture video on my laptop I use this.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-100-112&depa=1

Even though New Egg doesn't say much about it, it comes with Power DVD Producer and supports composite and S-video inputs at up to 720x480 @ 30 FPS NTSC or 720x576 @ 25 FPS PAL. You have to use USB 2.0 to get good qaulity though.

Edit: For all you I8200 and I8100 users, this icon might appeal to you. Its not perfect but it gets the job done. It is good for I8100s because they look almost exactly like a I8200 I think.

I8200_icon.zip

Marco,

Bit 20 (ox100000)  Let driver pick the full screen display mode
this is enabled by default (ie when that setting isn't in the INF)

remove any line beginning with OverlayMode2 3 or 4.

Uninstall driver, then reinstall with the modded INF you've just made.

This will then set the Overlaymodes back to default settings.

If this doesn't work (very likely) then nothing will.

I hope this helps,

Pieter.