LaptopVideo2Go Forums

6x.xx driver problems

Guest Pitt Possum

Guest Pitt Possum

First of all .. Hi folks :)

I have a problem with my GF go5600 and all drivers of the 6x+ series. They are very slow, and i mean real slow. For now i didn`t testet OpenGL, but in direct3d ists a performance decrease of 60-80 % , i wouldn`t consider this as normal. Did everyone had this problem to, did he solve it, or is me just doomed with the 5x driver forever??

I have never heard of them running that slow, maybe something is changed that is not supposed to be?

Those drivers do run slower for me and others but not that slow, make sure hardware acceleration and AGP, ect are turned on correctly, also make sure you don't have any problems with Direct X. These drivers are betas you know.

The drivers should be only about 10% MAX slower than non 60's.

Something wrong to get that big a drop.

The CPU might be dropping down in Speedstep due to heat.

The drivers should be tested with all settings set to max, vsync off etc.

Run benchmarks with default settings.

Other background programs could be causing slowdowns.

Something to look at,

Pieter.

Maybe this is some indication of the same problem (?) :

At the moment I'm using 61.80 which runs quite good. However, whenever I return from Hibernation (and maybe from Standby, should check again) my card is operating like it is running on the standard vga driver: dragging a window is in slow-motion and takes several seconds.

Solution is to open the nVidia control panel, wait for the few black screen switches, and then close the control panel again. Voila, max speed.

Strange :)

oVan

Guest Pitt Possum

Ok did some benchmarking..

3D mark 2003 non patched version (i am only dial up :) )

Strarstorm 56.72 but i used the driver of GF FX 5600, but I got powermixer and so on so I didnt care. 2086 points

C&C Generals runs smooth (about 50-60 FPS all the time)

NFSU runs smooth

Detonator 62.01 @ GF FXgo5600

3d mark 564 points

C&C G about 5-10 FPS i would say

NFSU ...maybe 10-15 FPS

I also noticed that even the cpu tests run very slow in 3d mark. i have an desktop cpu in my notebook, until now i thought the intel step speed thing wouldnt apply to it??

AGP rate is still 8x

i ll do some direct X testing, but dont think my problem is caused by this.

i will look for an cpu only benchmark and run it with the different drivers

Go to run and hit DXDIAG to look for DX problems, if it says some files are messed up or if something isn't turned on like it should be, that is probably your problem.

Just pointing out how to go to dxdiag.

Edit: I am currently having problems with DX right now, it says a file is out of date and to reinstall DX but I have already reinstalled it 5 times lol.

Oh, and Pitt Possum, Welcome to the forum! :) :) :P

...and i definetivly love theese guys  :(    :(   i maen they are so ugly :)

Are you talking about the drivers?

I am confused. :) :P

Guest Pitt Possum

I meant the smilies :)

But i did some CPU benchmarking with Prime95, and the result are alway the same, it doesnt matter what driver i use. Ill have to do a new install of windows soon, because now the laptop is used as a websever @ debian. A friends server went down.

Ill post later on if the problem is solved, but it can take some weeks, as he has to buy new hardware, and do the webserver setup again.

PS:

Choas, panic and disorder my work here is done :)