LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Old Nvidia = Better Nvidia for Games

Guest MasterEvilAce

Guest MasterEvilAce

I have a Dell Inspiron 8000

Geforce 2 GO

256mb ram

1ghz Pentium 3

I updated my drivers to the NEWEST nvidia had.. yesterday... I have to say, it seemed like Nvidia kept getting SLOWER and SLOWER with each new driver.

I played the newest version of Multi-Theft auto (GTA3 / GTA:Vice City multiplayer mod)

It was SLOW. I had everything set to low, and it was ridiculous, very hard to play.

I love the game, but this made me upset. I said ###### IT. And Now I downgraded to OMEGA's 53.03 drivers... but wow, I went from UNPLAYABLE in vice city, to hitting the framelimiter in the game. The game is playable, again. I also noticed a lot of the jagged edges and s*** are gone, so the game is much better looking.. I remember installing one of the newer Nvidia drivers (months ago).. and it suddenly made Vice city look like crap. you could REALLY tell by looking at the logo screen in vice city.. IT was horrible, jagged pixels all over. none of the newer versions fixed this. but I just tried 53.03, and it's great.

Nvidia's 6x.xx drivers in Counter-Strike 1.6, I was getting 50-60 FPS.. now, i'm hitting the limit in Counter-Strike. 99 fps!

Screw you nvidia... Love you guys at nVision. Thank god you guys have backups of old drivers, and are actually OPTIMIZING nvidia's drivers for us.. thanks a bunch.

Edited by dontknow

LOL the newer drivers are slow, but they are not meant for GF2 go cards, I got graphics corruption with them on my GF4 go (the 61.76).

Guest MasterEvilAce

Does anyone know the best version to use for my computer? Looking for PURELY framerate, without sacrificing the quality i already have

I know there's gotta be one version that just turns bad.. I want the version before that happens

I don't use advanced features like nview's desktop crap.. so i don't care about that

I'm looking for stability, and decent quality with speed

Edited by dontknow

Try all the 40s drivers then, also some of the early 50s drivers might be good too. I get the best speed on the 42.58 drivers(from Dell). (I havn't tried that many though, just like 2 or 3 different 40s)

If you want pure speed, overclocking might help but read all the warnings first if you decide to do it, I myself have not and probably never will overclock this laptop.

Guest Guest

yeah, i'm not into overlocking at all.. This comp is like 3 years old, and still runs strong.. don't want to risk it

and the drivers from dell... Whenever I used those, OpenGL never worked, I believe, but i think DirectX did.. I guess I'll just stay with 53.03 for now

Like I said use 40s and 53.xx drivers till you find one that works good, the 60s will all probably be slower for you, atleast that is what I'm guessing.

What drvier version does Dell have for your PC and which drivers have you tried?

Some 42s or 44s might be nice, that is probably close to the version Dell has I would guess, I don't have time to look it up for you lol.

Any, the point is just try drivers till you find one that works nice for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly speaking the best drivers were the 40 series. I remember when the 1st public beta driver came out from the 40 series. If I am not mistaken it was the 40.41's. Back then Teraphy and I both were running around trying to fix any type of bug we could find with it. We didn't know if they were bugs from being beta or just our INF's were wacky. But I do remember that driver. That driver was what I think, to be the most fastest driver nvidia has ever released till this day. After that the driver started to get slower and slower. Try that driver if you like and see how it goes.

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/40.41/

*you can install the driver as a geforce2 mx

I'm also going to try and get Pieter to make a new INF for this puppy :)

Let us know how it goes with it :)

John

Attach the INF, and I'll see what I can do.

I'm running out of hours again on my ISP.

Pieter.

Yikes that driver is old.

I've only modded the PCI-ID's so the driver is Mobile GPU friendly.

It's too old and would require a complete rewrite to get a fully tweaked INF.

So this will have to do.

I didn't even put my stamp on top of the INF, so little was done to it.

It should work just fine for Laptops, no tweaks are enabled except Rotation.

Enjoy,

Pieter

nv4_disp.inf

I found the backup of my old INF for the 40.41 drivers. I even have it with the Omega settings inside it for speed. I tried installing it but it gave me a bsod just after it was trying to finish the installation. So I would tell you to use with caution. It's an old driver and XP has changed a lot since then, so it might not let you install it. Then again, I have a quadro 700, so that might be the main problem. In any event here it is. I even spruced it up a bit with the knowledge of today's INF's.

Have fun!

John

nv4_disp.inf

Did my INF work at all ?

I just added the mobile PCI-ID's and left everything else as default.

It should work as the INF has the Quadro bits and pieces.

But 40.41 was before your Quadro was born, last GPU series in this INF is nv25 (Q4 700goGL is a nv28), this might affect it.

Also no resoltions support either for the nv28 in the INF.

Pieter.

Yep, I was thinking the same exact thing. I didn't try any other INF after mine crashed. I didn't see a custom resolution for the NV28 so I didn't install the INF. Anyway, I'm back to up and running the 61.77's.

** Pieter, I have a question. I installed the 45.28's that were released by dell for my card and I had grabbed your INF for it a while back and had it backed up. However, when I play a game such as Counter-Strike, the screen flashes off then on at times. Also, sometimes it becomes really slow and corrupt-like (no artifacts just major slowdown)

[EDIT]Would you know what the problem might be in this INF? It's never happened like this exactly with any other driver.[/EDIT] (sorry silly me! :) )

I'll post the INF for the 45.28's here:

Thank you,

John

nv4_disp.inf

Edited by Kamika007z

** Pieter, I have a question. I installed the 45.28's that were released by dell for my card and I had grabbed your INF for it a while back and had it backed up. However, when I play a game such as Counter-Strike, the screen flashes off then on at times. Also, sometimes it becomes really slow and corrupt-like (no artifacts just major slowdown)

John, there is no question in the above.

Do you want me to make an INF for it ?

I have INFs for quite a few older drivers here : http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/pages/oldinfs.htm

This page link can be found on top of the INF/Drivers page.

I'm not too keen on going down the old road again.

I like 44.68 also a Dell driver, it was the best of the 40's, as it had both speed and was rock solid.

Hope this helps,

Pieter.

Pieter,

Sorry about that, my mind must've been on Standby while posting that above :) I checked out to see that the 53.82's ran the fastest for you. They were also released for a quadro (fx go1000) set as well. Was it a stable driver? Any info would be great.

Thanks again again and again! :)

John

I never really tried that driver (they come and go on my testing parttion)

I have tried 44.68 it was my driver of choice for ages, well into the 50's.

You'll need to try and find out.

Pieter.

I downloaded the 44.68's and in it there are two folders entitled "44.68" and "44.68E" both of which have the NVDM.INF files. Which one is it exactly. I'm a little confused.

Thanks,

John

Dontknow is the Kompression King.

The E might be for English only ? http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=470

The normal directory should be the one to use, as this is the default, any subdirectories will be additions.

Pieter.

Thanks Kompressor...I mean Kompression King! :) hehe

John

• 3 weeks later...

These are the best of the series for me:

4x.xx winner is 47.18

5x.xx winner is 53.03

6x.xx so far winner is 65.73

take your pic, any of these will scream in games. i turn AA + AF off w/ image settings on quality and VSYNC off w/ Geforce2 GO 32MB not overclocked.