LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Quadro FX Go700 and I8500

Guest dragonman

Guest dragonman

I have recently had a Geforce 4 go card fail and was able to have a quadro fx go700 installed. The new card seems to work well except when playing games such as Battlefield 1942/Desert Combat mod and Ghost recon. When playing DC online I can get about 2 - 3 minutes of game time then the system shuts down. It didn't appear to do this in single player (I played El Alamein twice through without a shutdown). When playing Ghost Recon in single player it would shutdown within 3 minutes of beginning a mission. I didn't test it on Ghost Recon multiplayer.

I tried using the new 61.77 drivers for nvidia on a manual install and this allowed me to play for a slightly longer period but it still shut down. I've since restored the drivers to the most current advised by dell for the card.

I am wondering if there are any other solutions to this problem besides what was related here http://www.bay-wolf.com/8500videoheat.htm

I am going to wait for any physical changes to the machine until the 9100 I ordered arrives. Then after I port all my stuff to that one I will be happy to tear this one apart and see what I can make of it.

Also how does one make contact with Dell Parts. The regular channels for support at dell say the only cards I can put in this machine are the ones that were offered at the time of manufacter, which is plainly incorrect.

Have you tried 61.12 with the Dell OEM INF ?

Have a go with this driver, it comes with a Dell INF (NVDM.INF)

This has all the settings Dell uses in their INFs.

Hopefully this will sort out your gaming problems.

BTW is the machine getting hot underneath ?

Are the fans running continuously ?

These are sure signs of overheating, otherwise it's probably a driver related problem.

Pieter.

Guest dragonman

No I haven't tried the 61.12. Are you suggesting I not use the modded INF file? I take it that it is a Desktop driver? While gaming both fans run at high speed and did, even when it was running the Geforce 4. While not gaming the cpu hasn't gone over 130F and the GPU commonly runs around 150. I haven't been able to actually watch the temps while gaming. Every time I try to alt+tab from a game to check the temps my pointer dissappears and all I can seem to do is al+tab back to game. I actually just finished playing DC single player and it took 3 levels to finally kick it off. It's been a few minutes since the reboot but the temps at time of reboot were 140+ on CPU and 175+ on GPU. I'm fairly confident in the assessment that it's shutting down on an overheat threshold but so far the only "fix" I've found is over at baywolf's site. I would've thougt a better card would not have this issue but apparently that is inaccurate. Of course I've not been able to determine just which temp threshold is causing it to shutdown.

Present temps are CPU 107, GPU152 and dropping, DIMM 120-118 (these temps are in fahrenheit)

I am using C. Diefer's temp control utility to control the fans. (no longer use to control, just to monitor. Seems the cpu has to get to 65C before fans even come on first time. After that the cpu temp runs down to 39C and hangs around 40-42C until I have it do something.)

Would you happen to know what the thresholds are for this motherboard? Would like to know if it would even be possible to maintain the necessary temps before I go to the trouble of the fix over at baywolf.

Thanks for the reply!!

this problem is well known to me when i first got my 5650 card my system wiould last for 10 mins and then it would shutdown, after i did the mod it stays on and works like a charm games kick a** the mod found here http://www.bay-wolf.com/8500videoheat.htm is quite easy to do and u will notice ur system disapates heat much faster then theose pos pads dell uses

hope that helps and post ur results

btw the reason it shutsdown is the bios sees the gpu hit 100c

the niTz

Guest dragonman

Ok. I was planning to accomplish this (baywolf.com) mod once my new machine is here and I can safely tear this one apart with no fear of losing my workplace capablilities.

Would you happen to know if the go700 is a better card than the mobility 9700?

If it is I might move the nvidia card to the new I9100. Don't know, that would certainly void the warranty.

btw, thanks for the reply!

For gaming the 9700 will be a better choice as it supports DX9 reasonably well, but no good for 3DModelling though.

For 3DModdeling get the Quadro4 700, this GPU does good with everything up to DX8.1, crap in DX9.

In the end it's upto personal choice.

Pieter.

Guest Guest

Well in the case of this notebook I don't think it personal choice as much as what will work well. I'm much more interested in reliability and durability than screaming speed and surround sound. Thank you for your help. It's truly appreciated in the absence of quality advice from dell.

Do you know what the power consumption rates are for the go700 as compared to geforce 4 go 4200?

I'm not sure if it was the brightness setting or card but my battery didn't last near as long as usual with this go700.

The go4200 and Quadro4 700go are from the same GPU Family (nv28).

So they will behave similarly in all respects except 3DModdeling where the Quadro will excell.

The nv28's were made from desktop parts (just added Powermixer) and are power hungry, but perform very well, they keep up the the moden FX GPU's in DX8.1.

Pieter