LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Inspiron 8500 GeForce 420GO - No Bump Mapping

Guest BravoGolf

Guest BravoGolf

Hi all,

This seems like a very informative forum and I thought this might be great place to ask...

For some reason my laptop graphics card (GeForce 420GO 64MB) does not display any bump mapping on any games.

All I get is bland textures.

One example being Halo, when I saw the same game run (on the exact same settings but with a lesser graphics card) it had all this lovely bump mapping :)

I've updated all the drivers, though im going to try again but uninstall the drivers first. I didnt udpate via nVidia, I used the latest reccomended drivers via Dell's website.

I would also love to try some of the tweaks here, any reccomendations?

Any help at all is very much appreciated, I honestly haven't a clue why there is no bump mapping. It's not an Inspiron related issue is it?

Inspiron 8500 A06

GeForce 420GO (64MB)

2Ghz P4

256 RAM (more on the way!).

First of all, don't use drivers directly off of Nvidia's site, they are not designed to work for laptops, you should get them here or from Dell, make sure you have all the neccessary updates from Dell then unistall your graphics card driver and re-install the one from Dell, then come back here and tell us if that fixes it, if you want to try some drivers here look at the recomended drivers on the driver/INF page, the 40s and 50s should work good for you laptop.

Bill

• 5 months later...

If it is a MX420 Go, then it's not going to display Bump Mapping. The MX line of cards have a very limited capability, period, and this includes anything reliant upon VS/PS.

The Geforce 2go and 4go are both based on MX equivalent GPU's.

So hence the least amount of functionality.

The go4200 was the first and only Mobile GPU based entirely on a Desktop GPU.

That is why it does so well in 3DMark 2k1 compared to newer GPU's (except the go6800)

They only added Powermizer.

In the 3Dmark2001 SE test I think my GPU can display some type of bump mapping, but only like 1 or 2 types.