LaptopVideo2Go Forums

HELP! Fan speed affects FPS

Guest crumpet

Guest crumpet

Ive upgraded my drivers to 62.20 from this site and im not sure if the problem existed before but i have noticed that during gameplay my D800 fan changes between 3 speed levels , LOW , MED , & HIGH (its seems so anyway) when it hits high the screen has a quick flicker and the performace of my gaming drops

does anyone have this issue and can anything be done to prevent it ??

many thanks in anticipation

It sounds like you are really exercising your machine. When it gets too hot, your fan speeds up and your CPU and graphics chips slow down -- all in an effort to keep everything from melting.

You'll find that laptop cooling is a popular topic on many forums, with specialized coolers now becoming available. Also, it's important to keep all the cooling vents free from obstruction. And try a can of compressed air to blow dust out of the heat sink fins, which should be visible behind one of the vents.

Good luck!

Guest Yanishka

Hey crumpet I have this exact same problem except it happes on drivers above 53.03.

I can run my card with 53.03 drives flawlessly, but driver above this have problems.... I also use a 71CFM Notebook cooler to and my Laptop runs very very cool and all fans have been cleaned and it still does it. =(

I have also seriously clockeDOWN my card and it still does it Grrrrrr

If you find a solution can u please email or reply here please cus im goin outta my mind trying to solve it.

Thanks again..... (sugarflibble@hotmail.com) if I find a solution I'll do the same

Forgot to long in..this is Erdrickk

Anyways I have a solution to your problem. I had the Same issue and it was sucking, I didnt want a melt down. Get a program Called SpeedSwitch XP 1.4

It caps your proc at 1.6 GHZ. Ever since I did that, I have NEVER ONCE got above 55C and my high speed Fan has NEVER come on