LaptopVideo2Go Forums

"GO"-cards & DX9

Guest sniff

hi,

ive got a pentium IV and 440 go, but DX9 games run really slow. Is there a possibility or a driver to "disable" DX9 to make those games run faster, even if quality sucks.

The GF4 440 go does not even support DX 8, so both DX 8 and 9 are already disabled, what are your systems specs and what laptop do you have and what games do you play?

You might just want a new card to play new games, although farcry runs nice on my laptop and I hear that DOOM 3 does too. (I haven't played it yet)

Try getting all the latest updates for your laptop and reinstall the latest official drivers, then upgrade them to play farcry maybe, you can make it run with 40s drivers though in OpenGL mode.

Bill

i have got a pentium IV 2,4 ghz and 512 ram. are there differences between the gf440mx and gf440go ? my friend hast got the mx and doom3 runs ok on his sys, but on my laptop not even the menu fonts are readable and everything is low fps ....

• 4 weeks later...
how to run games in opengl mode ?

It depends on the game. (the game also has to support it)

For Farcry, you have to edit a certain configeration file, for DOOM3 I have no idea, there should be a rendering option if it does, but if you can't select it, you might have to tweak some files.

For UT99 it I know there is an option, although you should be fine running that in D3D.

For UT2003 and UT2004, you can use it, but it is not supported by tech support(kinda like a beta), for you to turn it on you have to edit your UT2004.ini or whatever to do it, go search on the UT2004 forums how.

Also, as to why DOOM3 runs slow on your laptop, it might be because you have a 32MB GF4 GO, you really need atleast a 64MB card to run it decently I believe.

Edit: The GF4MX and GF4 GO cards are really similar, some might be faster than others or have more graphics memory though.

Bill

The 440go is basicly identical to the 440mx, except for the Powermizer which has been added to the 'go'.

Is your friend running Doom3 with any setting changes ie lower res, turning of any extra's.

There are apparently command line changes you can set to disable various bits.

Also make sure that you have installed all the latest driver (not just video), most importantly Chipset.

Like Bill said 32MB doesn't cut the mustard any more with modern games, you really need 64 or more MB of video RAM to play games smoothly.

This is probably the biggest factor in you machine running slow and your friends faster as he's probably got 64MB.

Try disabling textures (somehow) as this gobbles up the memory.

I think that DOOM3 would automatically set the lowest graphics setting for your card, if you had a decent FX go card, it might set it to medium, if you had a really high end card(like a desktop GF6800), you can run it on high, if you have an overclocked, 512 MB (modded) GF 6800 Ultra, you should be able to run DOOM3 at its highest settings. (T3H UB3R 1337 ULTRA HIGH setting)

Those are the different levels of graphics settings in DOOM3 as far as I know, plus you can turn individual things on and off.

But I think if you turn off/down a lot of stuff, especially textures as Pieter mentioned, it should be playable

Basicaly, search around these forums for DOOM3 tweaks, you should find info on how to make it run faster, but you should definitely turn textures down/off as that will give you the biggest speed increase.

If it still does not run at a playable speed, get a better card. (you might have to run this on a desktop)

If you have any other questions, just ask.

Bill

• 1 month later...

i have a gocard with 64 mb ...

how i can upgrade chhipset ?

my problem is : dx9 games are running slow, halo runs ok, but there are those bitmap explosions, if they are on screen i have 3fps ...

You cannot change your "chipset" @ Laptops.

You can (eventually) change your GPU (graphic cards) if it's a DELL (only certain models) or Alienware.

You can't "switch off" DX9.0. Why would you?! Playing in SoftwareMode isn't fun.

Familiarize yourself with the OPTIONS page in games and turn off features like "Shadows", AntiAliasing, Anisotrohy. Turn down Image & Texture Quality.

• 3 months later...

You should be able to, I am not sure exactly which cards you can put in it, but you can.

Your best bet is to get one from Dell, as others might not work....

*waits for an M60 user to answer*

Edit:

....You can't "switch off" DX9.0. Why would you?! Playing in SoftwareMode isn't fun....
You can turn it off with 3Danalyzer, which can be found here.

http://billsnvdriverhost.dyndns.org/LV/pro...alyzer-v234.exe

Here is a pic of it:

http://billsnvdriverhost.dyndns.org/LV/pro.../images/3da.jpg

What you can do with that program is turn off DX9 features, if you have a DX9 card, or make a game that requires a DX8 card think you have one if you don't.

Whoever asks about turning off DX9, you can force a game to think you only have a DX 8 card, making it run in DX8 mode, which is probably faster.