LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Fastest gaming driver Geforce2 GO?

Guest w00ters

Guest w00ters

Which driver is fastest for gaming.

I have used the following drivers already:

When I game, I run at teh lowest settings. I set the driver display properties to performance and disable VSYNC, AA and AF.

I have also used the Starstorm versions of the above drivers. Startstorm drivers perform worse than regular tweaked drivers. I have used the benchmark version too and I actually got WORSE FPS w/ those and the image quality was poop.

Configuration:

Win2K PRO SP4

Geforce2 GO 32 MB

256 MB RAM

1.6 GHZ p4-m

Which driver should I use for the absolute BEST speed?

Tell us what laptop you have too, I would think 4x.xx drivers would be the fastest for GF2 GOs, try 42.57 and 44.03.

I said to try the other 40s drivers, not just the 44 drivers.

Also, since you want max speed check here:

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/pages/speed.htm :)

Also, why did you not get a GF4 go with that I8200?

You should get Winxp too, anyway the fastest for me are mostly 40s and some 50s. Just try different ones until you find one that you like.

I wish I had more time to type but I have homework to do, and almost no time to do it.

Bill

For what it's worth, when I had my GF2Go I found 44.87 to be a superb driver. It's not on Pieter's site, but if you can find it somewhere else, I have an INF that will work with it.

Guest w00ters

Bill - It was a type. Since im not registered i cant edit my post to reflect wut I meant to say, 4x.xx instead of just 44 .. blah, and

When I game, I run at teh lowest settings. I set the driver display properties to performance and disable VSYNC, AA and AF.
So i already stated i have my drivers fine tuned. I have everything fine tuned for speed, matter of fact. I didnt buy a gf4 b/c it was a long time ago and I didnt have the cash. ive had this rig for nearly 2 years.

lsudlow - gimme the inf ! im gonna search for that driver. im guessing guru3d ?

Guest w00ters
You should get Winxp too

err and whys this? winxp home came w/ my inspiron and its utter crap. i have all kinds of problems w/ a fully patched winxp vanilla -> 1 -> 1a -> 2 rc2 -> 2 final all slipstreamed and started from scratch.

winxp tries too hard. its too fluffy. win2k is winxp minus all the bulls***.

Wooters i just checked the server and guess what: it's available here since months (but not linked anywhere)

http://download.laptopvideo2go.com/nvidia/40series/4487.exe' target="_blank">

...and I'll upload the INF tonight.

Guest w00ters
Wooters i just checked the server and guess what: it's available here since months (but not linked anywhere)

http://download.laptopvideo2go.com/nvidia/40series/4487.exe' target="_blank">

thx i wasnt aware of that.

i have a question now that relates to speed, here goes:

since triple buffering can grealy increase performance and their is no option to enable in driver control panel, is this enabled by default?

lol i was registered all along, now i can start editing my posts and stop spamming :)

anyway, about triple buffering, its usually an option, at least it was in older drivers and now its not. why?

triple buffering shrinks the crap outta textures = performance boost.

any info?

Maybe someone can enlighten us, what exactly TripleBuffering is doing, before everybody is going nuts on how to enable it. Fact is it's used in OpenGL and you can enable/disable it with RivaTuner.

Here are 2 statements i found:

TRIPLE BUFFER: Well dudes, that doesnt mean that you enable a third buffer on your graphics card when turning on this option. It rather applies to graphic displays with a complex computationally expensive background (a raster or 3d rendered terrain) with lighter-weight more frequently updated graphics on top. Of course that means that your graphics will look nicer, but if activated the Cards performance drops up to 20%. So better leave it disabled.
...Triple Buffering, which allocates a third frame buffer, which can improve performance by allowing the graphics card to render at the same time that the 3D application performs other tasks. This is recommended as a result for optimal performance. That said if your Graphics card has 32MB or less Video memory you?d be best selecting False to ensure best performance (As the game itself requires a lot of Video memory).

//EDIT

Ok. 3DCenter has this nice explanation:

Triple Buffering

Das Triple Buffering (oder auch "dreifache Pufferung") ist auf den meisten modernen Grafikkarten zu finden. Zur Erklärung: Im Normalfall rendert (zeichnet) die Grafikkarte ein Bild, während das vorher schon fertige Bild in einem anderem Teil des Speichers (im Pufferspeicher) ist und von dort aus gerade auf dem Bildschirm ausgegeben wird. Mittels Triple Buffering wird hier ein weiterer Puffer dazwischengesetzt. Dadurch greift der normale Pufferspeicher, wenn er sein Bild komplett an den Monitor gesendet hat, nicht mehr auf das gerade neu entstehende Bild zu, sondern auf das schon fertige Bild im Triple Buffer!

Der dabei herauskommende Effekt ist, das einzelne Ruckler vermieden werden (eine zu schwache Grafikleistung läßt sich damit aber nicht kompensieren). Leider hat das Triple Buffering den Nachteil, das es nochmals einen großen Teil des Grafikkarten-Speichers verbraucht. Im Härtefall sind die höheren Auflösungen mit Triple Buffering nicht möglich oder aber laufen sehr schlecht wegen zu geringem Grafikkarten-Speicher - obwohl dies ohne Triple Buffering problemlos wäre. Für das Benchmarken sei es jedem freigestellt, was er nutzt - wir empfehlen, daß TripleBuffering auszuschalten.

Doing Benchmarks they suggest to turn it off.

Edited by dontknow

im sure the amt of texture memory wont be an issue as i recal having this enabled on older nvidia 16 MB cards.

/edit i also had this enabled in nba live 2004 where they recommended enablining triple buffering on older cards to shrink textures.

i googled it for a definition but found nothing :/

/edit2 i found a REAL interesting read on the sujbect:

triple buffering definition

another thread on the subject

DAMMIT I WANT MY TRIPLE BUFFER BACK :)

/edit3

http://www.nvhardpage.com/' target="_blank">

Ogl_EnableTripleBuffer

indeed very interesting!

-> that means i have to reverse my statement of RivaTuner beeing able to enable it, as they say it only writes "OGL_EnableTripleBuffer=1" in registry, but has no effect.

indeed very interesting!

-> that means i have to reverse my statement of RivaTuner beeing able to enable it, as they say it only writes "OGL_EnableTripleBuffer=1" in registry, but has no effect.

well im stuck now.

on one hand, they say triplebuffer was removed entirely.

on another they say its only for D3D.

on another they say the game has to implement it.

on another they say it must be enabled through drivers

I HAVE TOO MANY HANDs NOW !1!!!

/me looks like ganesh

W00ters, I believe you enable/disable triple buffering in the game options of games that support it, not in the driver control panel. I agree with the reviews that it can slow games that require a lot of texture memory, since it uses a full screen's worth of your scarce onboard RAM.

I'm attaching your INF here:

nv4_disp.inf

W00ters, I believe you enable/disable triple buffering in the game options of games that support it, not in the driver control panel. I agree with the reviews that it can slow games that require a lot of texture memory, since it uses a full screen's worth of your scarce onboard RAM.

I'm attaching your INF here:

thx for the info.

so you know, quite a few claim triple buffer is driver side as it has nothing to do w/ coding.

anyway thx bro, ill test the new 4x.xx series w/ inf when i get home :)

lsudlow-

The .inf you supplied me doesnt work. I have a Geforce2 GO 32 MB card.

As the 44.87's contain no setup.exe, I did wut I always do and installed via device manager. I tried searching a specified location; desktop/4487 and it found no card. I tried placing the .inf in winnt/inf and it still didnt pick it up. I tried manual and auto install via device manager -- nothing.

This is the first time I have had a problem in the many many installations I have succesfuly done. what could be going wrong?

Your GF2Go is using a different chipset ID than mine. If you post one of the INFs that installs correctly, I'll adjust mine for you.

I've fixed the problem, try attached.

So I tried the 44.87 drivers w/ mobilenvidia's .inf They work just fine.

In comparison to other 4x.xx series drivers, they are right in the middle of the pack.

Of the 4x.xx series, I tested 44.03 / 44.68 / 47.18 / 44.87

I test all my driver sets as I would play them in game, image settings on quality, no AA or AF, VSYNC off, 16bpp color depth [set for fastest possible display].

47.18 was the best, 44.03 second fastest overall but w/ severe graphical anamolies, 44.87 was pretty fast w/ no problems, 44.68 was about on par w/ 44.87.

I also tested another driver, 65.73. This is my new fav. Its fast, stable, the display is brighter in games and the textures look better.

Frame rates stay very high w/ this driver. I'd say its the best driver ive ever used.

Games tested: Counter-Strike, Need for Speed Underground, nbalive 2004 and Quake2.

im sticking w/ 65.73 for a while :)

back to triple buffering; Im seeing more and more driver sets that include the option to enable triple buffering.

now I know ATI and Intel graphics drivers allow enabling triple buffering.

So my question is, can one of you inf MOD gurus make me up an NVIDIA driver set w/ triple buffering enabled?

I want to test/compare performance.