LaptopVideo2Go Forums

DOOM 3 SUCSESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest erdrickk

Guest erdrickk

I run a Mobile P4 3.02 GHz, 512MB DDR 333MHZ ram, gforce Fx Go5200 computer and I just bought Doom 3 today and it RUNS PERFECT ON Medium settings no lag at all!!!

tell me I have seen a few of you rate your frames per second, how do you do that in the game, I want to post my results. And by the way, that game is amazing, with all the shading, sound effects etc..I am blown away!

Hehe, that is nice for you that you got it running on medium settings with a decent framerate.

If you search around you will find out how to turn on the frame rate counter thingy.

I don't have Doom3 yet but it should run good on my laptop.

What drivers are you using?

I hear the newer drivers like 61.77 with DX 9.0c and SP2 or something gives you a performance increase.

Also, please refrain from posting 2 different topics, a mod needs to delete the other one.

Bill

Guest Erdrickk

Bill, I am sorry about the double Post. I posted it the first time and got a timeout, so I did it again, not realizing that it already posted.

As for the Drivers I use 62.20, direct X 9c and SP2

Seriously, it Runs soooo smoothly its amazing.

I was kinda bummed about getting the Geforce Fx go5200 but if this Card can run a Game this advanced this smoothly, I think I am good for about 1-2 more years :)

Guest Erdrickk

ok so I found out how to turn on the FPS counter

open your shortcut on your desktop

Where it says TARGET make sure your line says:

"C:\Program Files\Doom 3\Doom3.exe" +com_showfps 1

hehe anyways Medium Settings I get 30 FPS all the time and it spikes up to 40-45 FPS for areas with less going on.

But yes I am REALLY impressed with how well this runs

Not bad of a game, but I still like Doom 1 & 2 in terms of fun factor :)

check this out all:

www.zdaemon.org it's a network port of the original doom 1 and 2

is anyone using the duck tape mod (adds a flash light to the top of any gun except pistol) or the no cd crack cause what happens to me is i get 39.7 on 640 med but it cuts every few seconds in the demo and hd activity jumps up, and i know its not my settings cause my friend with a inspiron 9100 64 mb 9700 ati does the same

any ideas???

the niTz :) :)

You have to run the Timedemo at last two times! At the first run a lot of textures wil be loadand the fps go down.

You have to use the right driver. 61.77 I would say.

im using 62.20 which give a lil higher fps then 61.77

o and both times i run it i get the same score

the funny thing is when i try the cache tweak

i tell it to use min 200 max 1024

and my score goes a lil up by 1 fps

if i set min to 768 my fps goes down to 37???

The niTz

if you want doom3 to SCREAM [ie run really really fast], extract the pak4 file to its own dir and move the original pak4 out of its current location.

now those files dont need to be decompressed from the pak4 before playing = big boost in speed.

I guess you will not have to wait that long before the game is loaded, but i doubt it will increase fps.

BTW, update:

I installed 61.77 and now get 27 FPS on 640x480 at medium settings. :)

At 800x600 it's 19 fps. The medium or lowest quality does not seem to affect the fps rate.

Also overclocking does not produce any boost :)

i heard that the uncompressing them trick doesnt really work according to a lot of people

nah it works really well [in game speeds as well as loading time].

just think about compression, decompressing a file will always take longer so if its already decompressed ...

use winrar www.rarlabs.com to extract. im almost certain it has .pak support.

the only downside is this only works for single play, so put pak4 back when u wont to go online :)

cough i cant play online for various reason with that game cough but i will try to decompress them

thanks

the niTz

sry to leave you all hangin so long. here is the exact trick for huge doom3 performance boost:

This is a guarenteed way to get a MASSIVE performance increase to your game, at the expense of taking up a little more hard drive space (2 gigs approx). I went from running low quality at 800x600 to running High Quality on 1024x768. This improves load times AND framerate/details.

There is a catch! By doing this, you temporarily can't connect to pure multiplayer servers. You have been warned (I'll tell you how to revert it at the end)

After installation, the Doom III Folder consists only of the doom3.exe and some .PK4 files. Those PK4 files includes the entire game (sounds, videos, textures etc.) compressed. They are normally uncompressed in mid game, which is very hard on your CPU. Lets fix this!

1. Make a copy of ALL the files in C:\Program Files\Doom 3\base. This is some big filage, but if you want to revert to MP without reinstalling you need to do it.

2. Unrar the following .pk4 files (just pretend they are .rar's and open them with winrar) into the C:\Program Files\Doom 3\base folder (each one should unrar a single folder such as textures or models):

pak000.pk4

pak001.pk4

pak002.pk4

pak003.pk4

pak004.pk4 (This one has many files, put them all in \Base and over right any that apply.

3. Now delete the files above (pak000-004) or move them to another folder for storage so you can revert to multiplayer.

When you want to revert to multiplayer, restore everything you had before and get rid of the new stuff. I'm not sure if the folder "maps" is the same or not, so make sure you back that up.

When in normal mode, you should have "maps" "savegames" "config.spec" "doomConfig.cfg" "doomkey" "game00.pk4" and "gamex86.dll", nothing else.

ALSO! If you open DoomConfig.cfg (C:\programfiles\doom3\base) in notepad and change

seta image_cacheMegs "32"

to a higher number, such as 96 or 128 you will see a big increase too

have fun !

Ah rats! :)

Using XP SP2 with DX9c and the 61.77 drivers (thanks Jabberwalky). Also decompressed all PAKs.

Still running at around 18 fps at 800x600 (medium).

Guess my system is no match for this game.

I'll just have to wait for the Xbox version :)

Also decompressed all PAKs.

Still running at around 18 fps at 800x600 (medium).

try the 65.73 driver for doom3. also, did you try this tweak already:

ALSO! If you open DoomConfig.cfg (C:\programfiles\doom3\base) in notepad and change

seta image_cacheMegs "32"

to a higher number, such as 96 or 128 you will see a big increase too