LaptopVideo2Go Forums

What's a default frequency?

andru123

Hi, there is a table in FAQ section with default frequencies for different chipsets.

Could you specify what column shows the default proc/memory frequencies? It's a bit unclear from the column names.

For that matter what's a default frequency?

I discovered that my fx5200 runs at 100/200 proc/mem.

(I just installed drivers 61.77, and I can see the frequency readings from the adapter properties page.)

Is it normal? Why my vid card is underclocked by default? <_<

And, since it's a notebook, and battery life is important. If I put the frequencies to their lowest values, will it consume less power? And, is it OK to work let's say with Word documents with such lowest frequencies?

first if u notice it says 2d clock speed and then if u click on the drop down box it says 3d speeds 3d speeds are automatically switched to when games start :(

and 2 i think under clocking does save batts not sure can any one confirm? :)

hope that helps :)

the niTz :P

Andru, the first number is the default memory frequency and the second number is the default clock frequency. Default means these are the speeds the graphics card will use unless told to do otherwise. 100 clock and 200 memory are VERY slow and sound like you could be in power saving mode. Check the PowerMizer screen in the nVidia Control Panel and set it to Max Performance.

And yes, NiTz, underclocking does save battery life. That's exactly what PowerMizer does.

I chose the cheapest, since i expected to get a desktop for gaming. Also in NL the 5650 would cost SO much more at that time. The 64 MB version of 5200 was + 120 euro. Now I dont have a desktop and it's either notebook or old tnt2 on old desktop.

Remember that the MEMory comes in DDR (DOUBLEDataRam), and as your subsystem also has DDR capacities you have the right values for your 5200 Go:

MEM__200 Mhz x 2 (DDR) = 400 MHz (as seen in the table)

CORE_100 MHz x 2 (DDR) = 200 MHz ( - dito - )

So don't worry.

What Larry said is also right, as PowerMizer Power Saving Technology is reducing the speed to (i guess) half of the default values when applied with "Maximum Power Savings".

To repeat Larry make sure that you set PowerMizer to Mmax. performance.

Hope that explains it.

but dont forget hes looking at the 2d values if he looks at the 3d values he see the higher clocked ones ( 200/400)

o and i forgot to mention if u have one that has teh bar click default and it will go to the 3d speeds

the niTz

post-7-10934737850_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
Guest jimbo40

Hi Nitz

Do you know why my page like the one above will not function?

I have the 5700 go with 66.93 and it locks up in the 3d mark 2001

powerstrip is the only way to get the clocks up.

Jim

Guest jimbo40

No, it shows up and seems to go active when i set to manual overclocking

but the core and men show 0 and will not slide up to 350/600,

and if I detect optimal setting it goes to a BSoD.

if I detect optimal setting it goes to a BSoD
Uh, that's not a good sign. My suggestion is uninstall your curretn driver, clean your Operating System (or use a driver cleaner) , reboot, install a new driver with Pieter's INF