LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Driver/DVD Conflicts?

oneeyedhobbit

Using the setup found to my left, I recently installed 61.77 and Larry's personal inf, optimized for the I5150. Has Larry (or anyone else, for that matter) noticed problems watching DVDs on their computers with these? Last night at a hotel I tried to watch Gladiator, but using both WinDVD or Windows Media Player I can't go beyond the default screen size. When I tried to maximize the screen, the top 4th was full and way too wide, while the rest was just black. Feedback?

Edited by dontknow

I use both PowerDVD and Windows Media Player to watch DVDs and full screen mode works fine. I've just uploaded a new version of my inf to the Utility section. Give it a try, or try Pieter's version and see if it behaves differently.

Let us know how it goes!

Already? Crickie! So, quick question, do I have to do the reinstall driver for the new inf to work? I mean, I imagine I can't just copy paste, huh...And should that fail for my DVD viewing, do Pieter's infs support Sideband addressing and such? I'm a big fan of that.

Pieters INF doesn't enable SBA, as it can cause instability for a meager 1% speed increase.

I have to think of the masses.

You could look for this line in the INF :

HKR,, EnableAGPSBA,                  %REG_DWORD%,    0

Then set it to 1, install driver and you have SBA enabled.

You'l always need to install drivers to have the changes take affect.

Good luck and report back with findings.

Pieter.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry its taken me so long for the reply, I don't know if anyone will still be even looking for this thread!

At any rate, I installed Larry's new inf with 61.77, and while everything seems to be in order (I haven't tried gaming yet) I still can't watch DVDs in fullscreen using either Win DVD or Windows Media Player. I tried reinstalling Win DVD just in case it was a program issue, but no-go. Any ideas?

Windows Media Player won't go to full screen mode immediately when you hit Alt+Enter. Park the mouse on one edge or another and give it a minute or so. It should go to full screen after a bit.

If you're still getting that "top 4th way too wide" problem, try my new inf, which can be found here. It fixes several bugs that were in earlier versions.

Is your nView clone mode with video mirror enabled by chance?? That's a 100% guess, but there were problems with WinDVD earlier with that. You can try disabling clone mode, but i doubt it will work. I would rather think it is a WinDVD bug (update available?).

I just downloaded and installed your inf today Larry, unless the one you linked to is an even newer update. I'll give it a shot just in case. I'm having the problem with both WinDVD and Windows media player, both of which worked fine prior to my unofficial inf days. I'll also check the dualview/clone mode issues, though I was sure I had it set to just one screen, my laptop display.

The WinDVD problem would affect both WinDVD and Windows Media Player. WMP doesn't have a DVD decoder of its own, so it uses whaever is available from any other players you have installed.

Whatever problems you have with WinDVD will also affect Windows Media Player.

I'll try Larry's new inf (that he just linked to) just in case, but its not a clone view problem. It could be a buggy version of WinDVD I suppose, I'm just using the free version that came with Dell, so I haven't been able to update. I'll try playing a DVD in some other program, too.

OT: Larry, you mentioned that you incorporated a switch in your new inf to optimize for the 5150 chip set, where is this located, and how do I set it?

The compatibilty switch is already applied to Larry's INF. Search for IntelComp something and you'll see.

To avoid buying WinDVD software try to find an update on the DELL site for your Laptop model.

As dontknow said, the switch is "UseIntelCompat" and its automatic. You don't have to do anything.

And yes, try a different DVD player and see if it behaves differently. I'm having great luck with PowerDVD and there's a free player called something like InterDVD that comes on many Region 1 DVDs.