LaptopVideo2Go Forums

resolution weirdness

marftarf

I have had this problem in the past and went back to using the japan oem .inf for 43.65 for the longest time, but want to sort it out if at all possible...

recently did a complete reinstall of my system. running windows XP with SP2, direct X 9c.

43.65 has no problems at all - other than it is a couple of generations out-of-date.

when I update from 43.65 to 52.16 (with .inf 11.64), also no problems, at least so long as I stay in single display mode.

but when I update from 43.65 or 52.16 to anything else, get this problem where applications cannot switch resolutions away from the desktop resolution. flashes to the new screen for an instant and then flashes back to the desktop with the application minimized in the taskbar.

to make things worse, when I tried going from 52.16 to 65.90, it caused this problem, and then when I "rolled back" the driver to 52.16 the problem was still there! i.e. 52.16 used ot work okay but now it doesn't!

I can't uninstall nvidia drivers completely because something in the toshiba software (or XP?) automatically reinstalls 36.38 every time no matter what i do (safe mode, etc. etc. etc.)

does anyone have any idea what could possibly cause this weirdness?!?!?

by the way, this is one of the greatest sites on all the www. I can't believe Toshiba completely leaves its customers on their own with stuff like this. but it's great that you guys step into the void!

marf

hmmm. after restarting twice after rolling back the driver, 52.16 starts working okay again. but with 65.90, i tried restarting 3 times and it still didn't work.

could this have anything to do with refresh rates?

looking at the resolutions/refresh rates panel with 65.90, all resolutions have a refresh rate of 60 except for one that has a refresh rate of 75. In 52.16, 1600x1200 has a refresh rate of 60 but everything else is either 75 or 85.

mart

• 2 weeks later...

tried 66.31 with tweaked .inf = same problem with automatic resolution switching

tried 66.31 with not tweaked .inf = when an application tries to switch resolution instead of the display momentarily going to the new resolution before kicking back out to the desktop at the desktop resolution, with the not-tweaked .inf the display doesn't flash at all, it just sits there at the desktop, resolution never even attempts to change.

What does UseBestResolution do?

Dontknow - you have basically the same notebook as I do - do you have this problem at all with the latest drivers?

thanks guys, great site!

also, does the modes.txt file in each driver folder actually do anything or is it just for information?

UseBestResolution sets the highest resolution that the Screen can handle on first install.

Does nothing after that.

Modes.txt has always been bugging me wether this does anything, it's not mentioned in any of the files.

Each driver has a specific file, what you could try is get the 43.63 modes.txt rename the bits in the beginning in the txt file to reflect the new driver version.

I don't think it will do anything, but you never know, it's never been tried.

And in your case can't hurt to try.

Good luck.

I remember i also had that "problem", but thought it's some kind of driver issue. I never took much effort to investigate the nature of this problem. Moreover i can#t recall which specific driver version caused that problem. I had so many drivers installed it's hard to remember.

- Btw SP2 has 56.72 as default driver.

- modes.txt: i never found any reference to that file, like Pieter wrote, so i think it's not used.

- reference to older driver version can be found here:

%windir%\inf (pay attention to nv*.inf and oem*.inf)

%windir%\oemdrv

%windir%\lastgood

%windir%\system32\reinstallbackup

- there is another one i cant remeber

- XP remembers any location path to INFs you told it earlier when you updated drivers. Keep that in mind and rename the folder

Hope that explains it.

• 1 month later...

This issue continues to perplex me.

I tried 66.32 for a while, since you found it worked well for essentially the same model. And it did seem to solve the resolution-switching issue in itunes G-Force visualizer and in GTA: Vice City. However, after a few weeks of using 66.32, I tried using Microsoft: Halo for the first time, and was back to the old resolution-switching problem.

so then I rolled back to 52.16 w/ .inf 11.64 - but now there was the resolution-switching problem for all 3 programs, even after several reboots. In fact, GTA: Vice City would not launch at all. Uninstalling and reinstalling with 52.16 did not help. uninstalling and installing directly to 66.32 did not help. I had to start with 43.65 (oem .inf) and then add 52.16 to get back to full function / no resolution-switching problems.

I guess I will stick with 52.16 for the time being, though it is a disappointment and the difference between 66.31 and 66.32 makes me suspect that this is an issue with the driver itself...

I still wonder if it is possible that there is some kind of refresh rate conflict between the driver and the display.

never played GTA nor HALO, last game i played was SilentStorm². Also i don't use itunes, but MediaMonkey and MediaPlayerClassic.

Is HALO the only game which causes problems, then maybe it's a bug in HALO. What i would do is:

set the Desktop resolution to the one you use in the GAME and before you do that save your Desktop Icon Layout if you have any.

copy layout.dll in system32

and rightclcik & merge the .REG file

click on the desktop and you see the menu...

there is another tool which saves it once you click the Recycle Bin have to search for it... (in case the other one doesn't work)

LAYOUT.zip

well, 52.16 started having the problems also. seemed to come on randomly after system restarts following install/uninstall of other programs.

but I think I found a solution. after reinstalling 66.32, the problem persisted UNTIL i tried selecting "override refresh rates" with everything set at "default". even though when i later went back to the Nvidia panel, the setting had gone back to application controlled refresh rates, this immediately fixed the problem.

One other question, it's a bit of a hassle having all these resolutions in the list when I am choosing in a game - is there a way to have only, say, 5 resolutions in the list, rather than everything the adapter can actually do?

HKR,, NV_Modes, %REG_MULTI_SZ%,  "{*}S 320x200 320x240 400x300 480x360 512x384 640x400=1FFF;SHV 640x480 720x480 768x576 800x600 1024x768 1152x864 1280x720 1280x768 1280x800 1280x854 1280x960 1280x1024 1360x768 1366x768 1400x1050 1440x900 1600x900 1600x1000 1600x1024 1600x1200 1680x1050 1920x1200 1920x1440 2048x1536x8,16,32=1FFF"

The explanantion of 1FFF and SHV is in the Forum somewhere or on the tweaks page of Pieter's page. I don't have it in my brain.