LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Overclocking 5200Go up to 1700 in 3DMark03!!!

Cleber

Hello,

was able to overclock my Laptop up to 1700 points in 3DMark03.

I use the 65.73 Driver which gave huge performance increase in DOOM III from 7.3 up to 14.3 fps. Using all the Game-Tuning hints found in magazines and in google I got 3 more fps. and overclocking with the new RivaTuner version made 6 fps more, so I ended up having 23.6 fps with 800x600 and High Detail (I set the core clock from 200MH up to 287 and the memory clock from 400MH up to 532MH, seems that Toshiba "underclocked" the card ( :) ). Strange that switching between Medium Detail and High Detail made no difference at all, but thats obviously because of the autoexec.cfg I created in the DOOM III folder to adjust the settings.

I hope that my card won't burn out the next days.

If someone can tell me how to get the original destination out of a saved html file (because it then appears as 'C: My Documents...') I could fill in the links to all the great tweaks,

Greetz, and nice to be a member of this fantastic page.

cleber

Edited by dontknow

I'm not sure what you are asking but that is some impressive stuff you did there with DOOM3, getting it to run that fast on the High setting on a GeForce FX Go5200.

About your question, check in:

C:\Documents and Settings\whatever your user name is\My Documents\

I hope I answered it right.

Oh, and Welcome to the forums! :)

Bill

Hey Bill,

thanx for your fast answer. Actually, I forgot my question

:wacko:8how does this with the smilies work, the last time I had the whole adress in front of it?)

So, my question was, is there a possibility for my card to get really damaged after overcloking although the overclocking process took 1 1/2 hours, and after that I played DOOMIII without a crash? Is a benchmark like 3DMark03 really testing and forcing my card, or will there be a game that will be more stress to the card and finally damage it? I really don't want to get a stable and fast card by overclocking NOW just to see it getting melt by playing Half Life 2 (hopefully this year) LATER!?!

And with the links: Thanx , but unfortunately it didn't help or I got it wrong. My question was, that when I save an Internet page, opening it offline with my browser (Mozilla) shows me something like this in the adress bar: C: Documents%20and%20 Settings/User%20Name/My Douments/..., but my idea was to get to know the original destination, offline, without searching the internet for that page again. Because I saved a lot of tweaking pages, but I can't fill in the link because my documents on my computer don't show them. Do I have to search through the Page Source, I mean the html-written source? Hmmm...

Anyway, thank you, and excuse me for my 'german' accent,

Cleber

(And adding to DOOMIII: i guess my performance in the High setting is not so impressive because it really depends on my .cfg I created which overwrites the original one. I just keep it that way because lowering it to Medium doesn't show any visual or fps-difference)

...I forgot my question :) how...
First, here is how you do that smily. You make sure their are spaces between the colons and the other words, in your post you had the number 8 which messed the smily up.

It should look like this:

...question :wacko: how...

Now about overclocking, you should not do it too extreme, just in small incraments at a time, as long as your laptop is not getting too hot it should not melt or fry your card.

I am not an overclocker though (so don't ask me complicated overclocking questions) and you are doing that at your own risk.

About that other question, if you can find the actual HTML file just open it with notepad or wordpad and look for html links, they should not be to hard to find.

If you cannot find the HTML file on your PC try searching, the search feature is there for a reason. lol

Maybe you should try typing this in your address bar?

C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Douments

Also, excuse my nerdy "Alabamian accent". :)

If you are from or have ever lived in the US you would get that joke lol.

Bill

Okay, let me try:

:) Well, I had JavaScript disabled in my browser, now a click on the smilie does it! Thanx!

Overclocking still seems allright, but my cooler (ventilator?)now sometimes gets into a third unusually louder mode, for about a few seconds, but that just simply means more cooling, heh?

Weel, guess I have to play my games with open windows and three sweatshirts on! Looking forward to the winter! :santa_smiley:

cleber

hey remanence not all cards are the same i cant oc my gf 4200 to 250/500 like other can but i can do 235/500, if cleber did get those speeds sweet i doubt hes lieing about it what would that poinit of that be!

the niTz

hey remanence,

first, you don't seem to have the same laptop as me, i have the toshiba M30-344, not the M30-204,

second, I have to admit that now I can't reach the 1700 anymore cause my laptop got really hot,

but I clocked down a bit and I'm still running between 1650 and 1675, stable! As mentionend, the fan gets from time to time a little louder,

but no crashes nor pixel failures.

My core clock is 285MHz and my Memory clock 512MHz.

I tried to take a snapshot of my result on the desktop, but I don't know how to do that, "Fraps" didn't work, guess it only runs in games.

So, there's no need to think I'm lieing on that. I just feel lucky about my results, not that I think I'm the coolest overclocker on the net!

Also, make sure your XP runs without any services, tweak the registry, optimize the memory management. For example, your L2 Cache is often set by default to 256, but I got 1MB (1024).

You'll find a lot about that in the internet, buddie.

(By the way, going for Paris this night for vacation, maybe your Laptop isn't far away!)

greetz,

cleber :)

People, the L2 cache "tweak" for 2K and XP is a myth, a rumour, Quatsch, Unsinn, merde or whatever you like to call it. It was introduced in NT and probably is only useful there. Todays OSs like 2K and XP use their HAL* to determine the L2 cache of CPUs automatically (if the value in the registry is left untouched: namely 0). If the read out fails, which doesn't happen as we are in 2004 not in 1998 anymore, the OS uses the default L2 cache size of 256 KB which is also value 0 in the registry.

Forcing a value, doesn't help as its only useful for computers with direct-mapped L2 caches. Pentium II and later processors do not have direct-mapped L2 caches.

Cleber, use the PrintScreen button to copy the desktop. Then paste it into your grahpic app.

*HAL=HardwareAbstarctionLAyer

yeah its done by hal but ill post a few tweaks later that gave me a few hundred points more

Nitz, i read that link yesterday, someone posted it somewhere yesterday. Nothing new in there. Thats why i wrote something about L2Cache. Have a look here, if more time is available, i will continue the XPBOSS project.