LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Poor Resolution on Dell 8100 with Nvidia

Guest jahme

I am currently running the maximum screen resolution allowed (1600x1200) on my Dell Inspiron 8100 because whenever I select a lower the colors on my screen "washout". The highest resolution is very crisp but everything is very small. I've tried changing the DPI settings but then I start losing text in some windows.

This began when I had to replace my factory installed Hitachi SXGA monitor with a UXGA monitor. I've updated the video driver to the latest on the Dell forum but it doesn't work. I picked up a link to this forum but trying to decide which driver I should try next became very confusing.

If anyone can provide advice it would be appreciated. My relavant system specs are below.

Dell Inspiron 8100

P3 1GHz Processor

Nvidia GeForce2 Go Video Card Driver v.44.82, A18

15" UXGA LCD

It's a common problem with high rez screens. Your only options are go increase the DPI setting, or to go into the display properties and change the font sizes and screen element sizes to suit your taste.

Of the two options, changing the DPI is preferred and is the intended solution. But yes, some apps fail to work properly with any DPI other than 96 and end up with missing text. Still, play with various settings and see if you can't find an acceptable compromise. On my 1400x1050 screen, I use a DPI setting of 128. You might need something even higher.