LaptopVideo2Go Forums

CPU upgrade

Guest Miguel

Hi,

I would like to know if upgrading from my 1.6 pentium-m to a 2.4 pentium-m could give me more fps.

Thank in advance,

Miguel

TOSHIBA 5100-201

P4-M1.6 MHz 1 x 256MB + 1 x 512MB

GF4 460 Go 32MB 15"UXGA 1024x768

It depends on the game.

If you have the money and can do that upgrade or get someone to then go for it.

Some games you will not see a big performance increase though.

Like UT2004 might not have too big of an impact (I would not know to much though), although a 0.8 GHz speed increase is pretty good.

Is your processor a northwood?

What games do you play?

Bill

P.S. How can your screen be a UXGA if it is 1024x768?

2,6 Ghz is the highest that fit on i845MP so search for this. Actually you can order one for me :) Pls. post some links where you found sellers. Research could be difficlut as these mobile CPUs are rare to find in Computer Shops (at least here in Germany). Thanks.

Hi Bill and Dontknow,

Thanks for your reply.

I was just guessing how to improve my gameplay, and it seem that the only hardware I can upgrade its the CPU.

Bill: I like to play CMR4, TocaRD2, Call of dutty and Rome: Total war (demo so far..). My processor its a northwood. About my screen, its a simple 1024x768, not UXDA... sorry for the mistake.

Dontknow: I've done some research on intel's website, and the "thermal guideline" (whatever that is - but it seem to be about thermal dissipation) of P4-m 2.6 is 35 w, instead of 28-30 w of the P4-m 1.6. The higher freq. with the same "thermal guideline" is 2.4. If I actually upgrade I'll tell you about it.

Best regards,

Miguel

Miguel, thats an relatively affordable price. The last info i had for a Pentium 4-M 2,6 GHz was over EUR 550,- . Thats only 200MHz more for double the price! So the 2,4 Ghz has obviously a great price/performance ratio.