LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Is your laptop running slower with SP2 ?

mobilenvidia

I found this over @ Mobile PC

Service Pack 2 slams on the brakes

12:30 PM - Friday, September 17 2004 ~

News outlets have been getting carried away in the flood of stories about Microsoft's release of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP, but no one has addressed the issue of performance with the new update. Well, we happen to have a few notebooks lying around the office, so we fired it up on a few -- 10, to be exact -- and then ran our benchmarks on the units. The verdict? SP2 can make your notebook run sloooow.

Slower, anyway. Among the 10 systems, SP2 resulted in a performance hit of 3 to 22 percent on eight of the 10 machines. Granted, two saw small performance increases, but the average decrease in performance was a whopping 9 percent. (All tests are based on Sysmark 2002's Business Productivity test.) We asked Microsoft if it was aware that there was a performance issue after upgrading to SP2, a spokesperson replied that Microsoft "takes all feedback on the performance of Windows XP SP2 seriously. At this time we are not aware of performance degradation on PCs running Windows XP SP2." That's funny, we thought we just told them that there was a performance problem. Watch for a thorough examination of SP2 performance in an upcoming issue of Mobile PC.

I must be one of the lucky ones. My Dell 5150 definitely runs faster with SP2.

:)

I think games got faster when I installed SP2, or maybe that is just somethign else making them faster, like newer drivers (or my imagination?), I know DX 9.0c made UT2004 slower.

My laptop has still been having some weird issues though, must be either my drivers or some other program.

At this point my laptop won't go into standby.

And with these drivers(66.31), it sometimes won't remember my digital vibrance setting on my desktop, but when I go into the driver menus it changes to what I set it too, it also doesnt remember when I turn clone mode on.

For example, when i turn it on it works fine, but when i restart it turns off, I can just turn it on with hotkeys though.

I think some of those are just driver problems.

Anyway, getting back on topic, has anyone else had problems with standby and SP2? My screen will go black like it is going into stand by, then it comes back on even when I do not press anything, this might just have something to do with all the keyboards and mouses and stuff I have, like I have a logitech MX 700, a wireless keyboard, a Belkin Speedpad N52, and the laptop's built in keyboard and touchpad/pointer stick, and I have a lot of USB devices, I have 8 pluged up now.

I will do some testing on that though, it could some setting I changed in the device manager. I think with the 65.xx and 66.xx drivers with SP2 my games got faster.

Maybe these SP2 compatible drivers are what you need on a SP2 laptop for it to run good.

Edit: While I am at it, does anybody know a safe way to get the old XP Pro boot screen back? I paid $100 extra for it so I think it should say Pro when It boots.

Bill

My screen will go black like it is going into stand by, then it comes back on even when I do not press anything, this might just have something to do with all the keyboards and mouses and stuff I have
In the device Manager Turn Off that this device is allowed to interrupt Standby mode ( FAQ, http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=361&view=findpost&p=4083' target="_blank"> , last sentence )

I was thinking it had something to do with that, but i did not have time to test it, I had to check like 30 different listed devices for power settings options, standby works when I disable that on EVERYTHING but it works differently than it used to I think, I really have not used it in a long time though, so I don't remember exactly how I used to be able to bring it out, but now I have to press the power button to do it.

Maybe I had to do that before, but I forget.

Anyway thanks for the quick answer.

Now I need to figure out these driver problems and the WinXP boot screen stuff. And then go and disable all the bloated Micro$oft security stuff that I dont need and that just gets in my way.

Because I am an intellegent PC user most of the time, and because of my NAT and because I keep my PC stuff up to date, I have never had a virus on this PC.

Bill

I bet it's affecting on some system configurations. In any event, MS would come to recognize this soon enough. Thankfully, my system is running just fine.

Bill: about the bootscreen, do a search on google.com for replacing boot screens, it's all over the place. All you need is the original boot screen saved and you just replace it with the current one. (I agree with you about it looking silly without it saying Pro.)

John

if u want i have style xp male version the latest give me a pm and ill give u my aim account and give u a copy its prettycool it support sp2, that goes for everybody here who wants it

I have heard of programs that can change the boot screen, although I heard that some are not safe and screw up your windows install, espicially if you have SP2.

I will check those out over the weekend if I have time.

Bill