LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Getting rid of overscan black borders on 4200 Go?

®®®

(only) available with ATI 9700 128 MB, and has some shocking covers :shock: :

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/learnmore/..., 558, 420)

specs here: ) re a Chrontel 7009:

"Don't get another nvidia based card just for overscan. It's the fact that the newer binary nvidia drivers dropped overscan support, not your your current nvidia chipset. Get the old version 4363 at

However I don't use linux. Does anyone know where to get 43.63 w modded inf? Or can anyone comment on whether this is right or wrong?

I'm going to work a little bit more with this before I give up....

• 7 months later...
Guest rocksy77

Hey!

Newbie here! Thanks for all the wonderful modded drivers for NVIDIA cards!!

However, I have a problem that I haven't been able to solve with any of the drivers that I've tried. When I use TV-out, I always get a black border around the image. Driving me nuts..

So far I've tried TV-tool, but evidently it doesn't support the Chromtel TV-chip (or has anyone gotten it to work? let me know if so), and I just can't get any options up for fixing this in the nvidia settings.. Does anyone know how to fix this? Seems there's a lot of people around the net with the same type of problem...

I really don't need fast drivers, as I don't use the laptop for gaming, I only want to get rid of them F*****N borders.

Please, pretty please?

Regards, rocksy77

try getting the 66.31 or 66.32 drivers and looking at this image.

The + and - boxes make your TV out bigger or smaller, if that doesn't work (it might not be there), tell us what were the last working drivers for you and post the inf that went with them.

Also what resolution do you use for TV out?

Bill

Edit: Removed attachment.

I've gotten TV-tool to work with my Crontel 7007, it might not be happy with later models as the 7007 supports upto 800x600.

The higher models support up to 1024x768.

Try setting resolution to 800x600

Guest rocksy77

Thanks for the replies, but it doesn't work. Tried installing the 66.31 drivers, but of course the +/- boxes aren't there.

I have it set on 600x800 already, not working.

So far I've tried these drivers:

44.03 - supposed to be the fastest drivers for the 4200 go. Overlay/overscan doesn't work

44.68 - same here

56.64 - I couldn't get this to work because it didn't have any optional tv-formats - only NTSC/M, I need Pal-G. Why aren't there any other formats?? Don't know if overlay works on this one.

56.72 - Same here

61.77 - This has PAL-G, but for some reason the TV-Out is only black and white? Still no possibility to adjust overscan/overlay.

65.73 - Same here

66.31 - Same here

Also tried the old mod for 42.01, but I couldn't get it to work. I've heard some people say that overscan didn't work for them in Nvidia control panel since the 44.**'s (i think). Don't know if that's an issue on my computer, but I haven't had a chance to test older drivers that works with WXGA.

I've tried TV-tool again. It still doesn't work, and their pages say that they are not compatible with the Chrontel 7009. According to them this is because Nvidia (for some reason?? why?) won't give them the datasheet for the 7009, and so they can't tailor TV-tool for it.

Agh....

What's weird is that on some of the drivers the overscan black border is smaller, but it never fills the whole screen..

Bill: all the drivers I've had so far, have been working, but none of them has the fix for adjusting overscan. So no INF to give you.

This is so annoying - could it actually be that the Chrontel 7009 doesn't support overscan adjustment? Isn't that a bit weird if it doesn't? Hey! Nvidia, give us them datasheets!!!

:)

And by the way - I have the latest BIOS revision for my laptop...

rocksy, pls try v61.80 (from neowin). DELL also released 61.80 with an INF where people report working TV-OUt. As this also was a lproblem for ages, give that definitely a try. The original DELL iNF can be found HERE

the driver HERE

I think I read somewhere were certain TV encoders dont support this or that, it could be that you just have a bad encoder, but that driver that dontknow recommended might work, those Dell drivers handle TV out differently.

Up until nvidia released the 61.76 driver, the 61.80 was just about the only 60s driver for me that had color TV out.

So it or some other Dell driver might be the only driver with working TV out for. I had the same problem with some 50s drivers and the video overlay not being fullscreen.

Bill

Guest rocksy77

Thanks again for help.

Installed 61.80 with dell-drivers, but it's the same. TV-out is in black & white, and no overscan adjustments...

Does anyone have any other suggestions for drivers. I really don't want to run through all of the 60s drivers to check if their working - it takes hours, and I've already spent some on this problem. (Aw... I'll probably do it anyway, desperate as I am) :)

Anyone have a Geforce4 4200 go and no black borders on analog tv?

I'm seriously starting to think that it might be the tv-chip Chrontel 7009 that doesn't support this...

However, I found some guy commenting this on a webpage ( http://www.2bithacker.net/htpc/switching_video.html ) re a Chrontel 7009:

"Don't get another nvidia based card just for overscan. It's the fact that the newer binary nvidia drivers dropped overscan support, not your your current nvidia chipset. Get the old version 4363 at http://www.sh.nu/download/nvidia/linux-2.6/"

However I don't use linux. Does anyone know where to get 43.63 w modded inf? Or can anyone comment on whether this is right or wrong?

I'm going to work a little bit more with this before I give up....

Guest rocksy77

Huh? Just found the datasheets for the chrontel 7009:

http://www.chrontel.com/products/7009.htm' target="_blank">

So why no support by TV-tool??

Anyone feel nifty with reading the datasheet and programming a macrovision control thingy for my TV-out? :)

Can anyone decipher from this datasheet whether or not it's possible to adjust overscan at all on this chip?

I've tried TV-tool again. It still doesn't work, and their pages say that they are not compatible with the Chrontel 7009. According to them this is because Nvidia (for some reason?? why?) won't give them the datasheet for the 7009, and so they can't tailor TV-tool for it.
This chip is made by Chrontel, not by nVidia, unless nVidia own Chrontel.

Dell do use oddball proprietry TV-encoders in some machines (i5150 comes to mind).

At the very least the 7009 should be backward compatable with the7007, which works.

Add this line to the INF under the [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section.

HKR,, CH7009.default.flickerfilter,  %REG_DWORD%,    3

Then reinstall, try it with any driver version.

This is the only Chrontel setting I could find (the other is for the 7019 same value.

There might be a need to change one of the TV control settings, but this is another kettle of fish.

Pieter.

Alright, I have no clue how TV-Tool did it for the 7007 since I can't get any values other than 0 to return to me. The current driver (65.62) doesn't seem to allow overscan.

Attached is some VBS code, to run it make sure the TV is attached and run :

wscript overscan.vbs

If it fails the first time you have to register the dll or the TV isn't attached...

register by typing:

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\nvcpl.dll

The following is the code.

set nv = createobject("nvcpl.nvcpllatebound")
msgbox "Default Overscan: " & nv.gettvsettings("default", "overscan")
msgbox "Range   Overscan: " & nv.gettvsettings("range",   "overscan")
msgbox "Current Overscan: " & nv.gettvsettings("current", "overscan")

If "Range Overscan" is non-zero than it's a good thing.

overscan.vbs

Guest rocksy77

Tried modding the inf with the line you said, but same as always.

Teraphy, I tried your vb script: C:\temp\overscan.vbs

Line: 1

Char: 1

Error: ClassFactory cannot supply requested class

Code: 80040111

Source: (null)

Do I need to fix something or code wrong?

Hmm, but if 7007 returns 0 and still is able to overscan, that means that it's the wrong question, no? :)

Thanks for your help, I would really like to get a definitive answer of whether my card handles overscan or not. :)

Guest rocksy77

Hmm... found this pdf:

http://www.intel.com/design/intarch/manuals/27404103.pdf' target="_blank">

Intel Embedded Graphics Drivers - users guide

On the bottom of the PDF I found "Port driver specific installation options" for the Chrontel 7009. Seemingly you can adjust in port driver attributes: Brightness, Contrast, H Position, V Position, TV Format, Scaling ratio and Display type. No mention of overscan here, but might the "scaling ratio" be what I want?

I really don't know much about *.INFs but is there any way to implement this in the modded nvidia INFs? Or am I talking gibberish here? I must be driving you guys crazy...