LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GeForce FX Go5200

juiceten

Just got a 1711 in 3DMark03, up from a 1337 w/o overclocking. Using 66.32 for a driver, with modded INF of course. I clocked to 261/527 with no problems as of yet, but I don't really play games often (never).

I was wondering, is it O.K. to keep clocked this high? I know that overclocking add more stress/heat/wear & tear and all that, and there is always that risk. But does it make any difference if I am not pushing it to the limits by running games and such, the most CPU and graphic intensive stuff I do on a regular basis is Photoshop and video editing/encoding.

Thanx

Not bad!

Read my post, I got up to 1700 points in 3DMark03, but your P4 is obviously much faster than my Centrino CPU (so one more person on my side, hope no one`s thinking of me lying, greetz to "remanence").

Guess there's no risk if you're laptop is running stable for a few ours without crashing, but I guess audio/video encoding and Photoshop stuff is more CPU intense than Gaming stuff, meaning: your graphics card is not fully stressed, so try keeping it that way.

But I have a questio: When you are gaming, is your fan also getting into a new even louder mode? Although my card doesn't crash, this is the only thing that worries me.

cleber

It is hard to tell if my fan is running louder because my fan runs LOUD as is. I'm not sure if you've ever seen the cooling system on a P-20 (or P-25, depending on the country), but I know I've never seen a larger one on a laptop. If you ever come across one in a store or something, check it out. Massive.

Anyway, it runs at three distinct volume levels, low, medium and high, if you will. I would say that it runs on the "high" or loud level more often now, but it could be all in my head as I never really paid attention to, or more so tried to block out the fan noise before.

As to why overclock if I don't game, I just want to get the most out of my system, the biggest bang for my buck. And after reading all the "sh**y" reviews of the GeForce FX Go5200, how "underclocked" Toshiba sets it (although they probably do have their reasons), I couldn't resist. That's why I'm wondering if the added risk is as high, or if it even warrants worry because I'm not stressing it to the extreme.

Nice word.

I've never opened my laptop, so I guess haven't seen any fan yet. Seems that your modes are equal to mine, I stay constantly in the second one, from time to time it gets a bit louder.

Despite the graphics card which is now "middle section" you have a hell of a machine, it seems, with lots of space on the hard drive, so get yourself far cry, play it for a few hours, and you'll see, if overclocking is stable. It's definetely right to get EVERYTHING out of your system; you didn't pay a couple of bucks to get a game boy :)

By the way, try the 65.73, runs a bit better on my system.

cleber

(Try to find some article by adrian wong in the internet, I guess it's called "Maxxing out the fx 5200go" or something like that, as far as I remember, he has nearly the same results (the frequencies, I mean) as you have). Interesting article, though with a "sh**y" remarks about the 5200go as well :) )

Here, found it already for you:

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?locat...&var1=76&var2=0 :P