LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Video frame rate VERY LOW when running desktop drv

Guest heaveny38

Guest heaveny38

Well, as I said in the title, my problem is just that. Whenever I try a desktop driver with Pieter's INF, it installs fine and runs games just fine, but when I watch a video, frame rate is ugly, something like 2~3 fps.

I really wonder what's the problem. Anyone else has experienced and perhaps solved this?

Thanx

First tell us what laptop you have, your system specs, your OS, what SPs you have (if any), what driver you tried, which ones have worked, if you installed it according to the directions, what media player you are trying to use, ect. (and anything I missed)

Welcome to the forum!

Bill

Guest heaveny38

Thanks for the welcome Bill.

First, I just reread those steps and that's what I did, and that's about what I always do when I upgrade drivers :)

As I said, the driver WORKS, but experience extreme chopiness in video playback, whatever the media playing utility I use, which is one of these: Windows Media Player 9, Media Player (mplayer2.exe), Media Player Classic, and even PowerDVD. The only way I got to have a fluid movie is by going in Troubleshooting tab and disabling acceleration COMPLETELY.

Okay now for my specs:

TTX VX Plus Performance Notebook

P4 2.66ghz no HT

512mb DDR333

40gb 5400rpm HD

GeforceFX Go 5600 128mb dedicated

SXGA+ display (1400x1050)

Windows XP Home (tried with SP1 and with SP2)

I tried some older 5X.XX drivers and it behaved as I said, and now I tried 65.73 and it does the same thing. I would gladly use my OEM's driver to have smooth video playback, but the only ones they provide is 4.8.7.3, which is way off for games like Doom 3.

Hope I gave enough details!

That should be enough info, that Hardware acceleraton disabling fixing it sounds like a problem I had, make sure your DX version is the latest one, get DX 9.0c and install/reinstall it even if you already have it.

If you go to run and type dxdiag and go to the DX files tab, it should tell you if a file is an older version or if there is a problem, you should run some tests as well, anyway reinstall DX and then install the drivers below and try them out.

After checking your DX version stuff, try the 66.10 or 66.32 driver.

If it still does not work you could uninstall your graphics card drivers and boot to safe mode THEN install some new ones, or just come back here.

It would be nice if someone else could atleast try and help you with this.

Bill

Hmmmm, if it says you have no problems then you really don't need to, but what harm is there in reinstalling it?

Maybe you should attach your OEM INF for that old driver?

Bill

make sure your drive is running in UDMA mode.

If it's running in PIO mode it will become choppy.

The piccy below shows my setting and what it should NOT be set to.

It should be UDMA-2.

ide-properties.jpg

I just installed 'Intel Application Accelerator' and I have UDMA-2 for my CDRW/DVD drive. (yeah!)

This application changes the standard Windows drivers for the IDE controller to optimized Intel ones.

This will only work with Intel Chipsets (90% of laptops)

Give this a whirl.

Guest heaveny38

Okay, thanks again. Today I'm trying to reinstall DX9.0c again and I'll show you my original INF, I don't know where to look in that file to find a solution myself...

About UDMA, yes my drive is set to, but the matter REALLY is not with that because with my OEM's video driver I don't get the choppiness, and I don't have it either if I disable acceleration with newer drivers, so it has something to do with the video driver.

nvuw.inf

Only two differences pop out immediately:

Paste the following line into your [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section:

HKR,, NVZORAN.connector, %REG_DWORD%, 2

...and change the OverlayMode3 line to:

HKR,, OverlayMode3, %REG_DWORD%, 1

Everything else in there is pretty standard. Let us know what happens with those two changes.

Guest heaveny38

Ok thanks, I'm trying that immediately and I'll come back to tell you if it worked...

However, there was no OverlayMode3 line in Pieter's INF ? I'm using the NoTweak version, for the record.

Try those two switches on both the tweaked and untweaked versions. Since the slow framerate only happens when playing videos, it's an overlay problem. Pieter's tweaked version contains some overlay improvements that may help you.

Guest heaveny38

Okay, I have some progress... I have tried the Tweaked version and now my video playing is back to normal, yay! HOWEVER, now I have another problem: my video card has 128mb RAM but it is now only recognized as 64mb.

A new problem. Anyone has an idea? I know that with my OEM drivers, sometimes it would only detect 64mb, but it was when I was installing new drivers, with a reboot, it would be back to normal, but with these drivers and INF, it doesn't.

If you find the following line anywhere:

MaximumDeviceMemoryConfiguration = 80

change it to:

MaximumDeviceMemoryConfiguration = 128

Guest heaveny38

I tried it. No go.

In fact, here's one thing I tried:

I copied my OEM driver's inf file over the 65.73 inf and installed it like that (thus installing the newer drivers using the old settings file).

You know what happened?

Well, video playing is choppy as before AND I only have 64 mb of RAM detected. Now doesn't that suck!!!

If anyone has any other idea, I'm all ears.

Thanks for helping to this point!

Is your DVD player running in UDMA mode ?, if it isn't then it will always be choppy.

Have you enabled the Hardware settings in the DVD prog?

When I have Hardware video decode on the screen flickers in the bottom right.

I can have Hardware Colour acceleration on with no problems.

Have ago with this as well.

Heaven38,

I copied my OEM driver's inf file over the 65.73 inf and installed it like that (thus installing the newer drivers using the old settings file).
Using an "old version OEM INF" and copying/overwriting the original INF in some new driver folder DOES NOT work (especially not a 4x.xx series INF with 6x.xx driver)

From reading here i got that you actually achieved a working configuration when using Pieters INF (tweaked version) with some new driver. The only drawback is your incorrect memory recognition.

Did you ever updated your preinstalled Intel Chipset drivers? Using a newer version solved weird problems like AGP issues and proper recognition of hardware. The currently up2date (official) version can be found on INTEL webiste HERE

Guest heaveny38

Unless I forgot to do it last install, I normally install the latest Intel's INF update, I'll try to update it just to be sure.

About the older INF over the new driver, well, as weird as it seems, it installed correctly, but it was fishy :)

Thanks again. I'll come back and write if it solves my problem.

--EDIT--

No go, they were already installed.

Good luck with it. Let us know what you find out.