LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Doom 3 for OC Benchmark?

Guest CD 1986

I have a Geforce FX Go5700 in my laptop. Default clocks are 330/580mhz (underclocked :) ) and obviously i couldn't resist upping them a little.

Using 65.73 drivers, i detected optimal frequencies - giving me a moderate 355/630mhz. I benched with 3dmark and played a couple of games - no problems. :(

Then i install Doom 3....game freezes within 20 secs. I set all clocks back to defaults and started to raise them back up. First the DDR Ram (from 333 to 400mhz) and Doom 3 played fine. Then raised the video core to 360mhz - still no problem. As soon as i raised the memory speed, i got the freezing again. I backed down from 630 to 615mhz....it froze after a few minutes. I'm now at 601mhz until i try again. :P

Sorry i'm way off track...the point is, does anyone else use Doom 3 (not the timedemo) to test OCing performance? It is far quicker at detecting (memory) problems than 3dmark or other benchies. It' a pity that memory OC causes a freeze up in Doom as it doesn't happen in any other program.

At least i know the OC is stable.... :)

I made nearly the same experiences, though doom3 did not crash, but it stressed the card more than 3dMark03. I overclocked my fx5200go, and now the fan gets a bit louder from time to time than before, being a clear sign than my laptop gets hotter. Before this, I only realized the new mode while playing far cry with default cpu and ram settings, and this was in summer!

So, playing Doom3 or far Cry for a couple of hours is definetely a better way to test overclocking.

Does that help?

cleber

• 4 weeks later...

dont know whether that helps but I can give u the information that Doom³ is highly (!) sensitive with overclocking! It absolutely doesn't like overclocked grapic cards and its reaction are ALWAYS the strangest errors going from "only" little pixel errors to freezing the game or even crash the pc...

so if u really wanna play Doom³ (I dont know how important being able to play Doom³ is for u) try using the normal - as u call it "underclocked" - settings of your card and see what happens...

so far

JBP

• 1 month later...

:) I do play Doom3 , Far Cry for long h with no problem & temp under 70C with default performace 3D O'C @ 350/580

& my top O'C was ,,,,,,,,,, see attached pic :)

post-5-11030826090_thumb.jpg