LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Toshiba Satellite 3000-S601

Guest blackgold

Guest blackgold

Hi,

I have a tosh sat 3000-s601 with a geforce2 go 16 MB video card and the original manufacturer drivers installed 6.13.0010.1620 from somewhere in November 2001 (yup, they are old). My question is, does anybody have experience with this model and the go2 card concerning new or modified nvidia drivers? Tosh doesn't seem to be interested in making a driver update for my notebook, so I am sort of lost, since Nvidia says to check the manufacturer and the manufacturer says no new drivers. Until now, my graf was fine, but I am having problems with new games (no video showing, vid crash to desktop) although all are saying they are supporting old cards, so I figured maybe I should update the drivers. Will it make any difference? Or am I just plain out of luck? If I should update, any idea of what was the last working release for my notebook?

Thanks,

bg

Detonator 16.20 is the very driver that came with my machine (see sig)

You will be fine to use any driver at all, I had some problems with the very early 60's driver, which I can probably fix now with a tweak.

16.20 are SLOW drivers, have a look here http://laptopvideo2go.com/pages/oldinfs.htm

At the bottom of the page is the performance for various drivers starting with 16.20 and GF2go.

You'll notice that about a 25% gain is made by going to any driver from the 40's+

This is basicly where the GF2go peaks in performance, any driver past is for functionality only (features)

Forget running anything like Doom3, the GF2go is not up to it.

As Autiban says, 16MB of RAM is going to slow you down in most games.

Stick with the older games, unless you have money to burn and can afford a new laptop.

I hope this helps, and welcome to nVision

I would recconed some 66.xx drivers like 66.31 or the new 66.81 but you might get a black bar since you are on a Toshiba.

Try some newer ones out and post in this thread if you have a black bar.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=5832

Dang you other guys post fast.

This post is to blackgold.

Bill

Edit: removed uneccissary(spelling?) word

Blackgold can't complain about lack of enthusiasm over here. :)

16.20 was and is a CLASSIC :) !

It started it all :)

Guest blackgold

Thanks ... I am impressed :)

I installed 61.77 with the 30.25 inf and it works like a charm ... I am actually playing Star Wars Battlefront ... I guess Doom3 won't be a bigger problem :)

No black bar problem or anything, only thing that bothers is when connecting to my external screen it messes up all the previous resolution settings, but who am I to complain ... at least I can still play new games :P

Thanks again, you guys are great ... Keep it up! :jumpyjoy:

Spread the news BlackGold. We appreciate users telling us their experiences, so we can make the INF even more better.