LaptopVideo2Go Forums

5150 S-Video to LCD

Guest citrixcl

Guest citrixcl

So i got my pretty new monitor. I can't do DVI with my 5150. I could go buy a DVI to VGA adapter but the lcd is DVI-D and the only outputs on my laptop are VGA D-Sub and S-Vdeo TVOut... I wanted to be using S-Video to connect to my LCD screen instead of vga because of the tiny improvement in quality and speed I hear about when using DVI or S-Video... but the drivers recognize the S-Video out as TV Out and while I can set a custom resolution to 1600x1200 the resolution the monitor gets is still NTSC or PAL and I can't get the monitor to read or display 1600x1200. with the custom resolution on the screen only shows up on about 75% of the monitor and the desktop is one of those scrolling ones where you have to move the cursor to the side to scroll to the rest of the desktop... the S-Video input is also blurry because it is in NTSC resolution according to the on screen display of the monitor.

is there a way to get my drivers to see the TVOut as the LCD monitor (2001FP) like the VGA calls it instead of calling it TV. I think if i can convince my computer that the S-Video is not a TVOut but rather a LCD monitor it will send out a pretty digital signal with the quality of DVI.

For now I just use VGA and its fine but I wanted to make use of my S-video cable and my monitors digital capability.

i use Horizontal Spanning and sometimes Dualview. but no settings i can find make the monitor show a full screen of S-video without using the zoom function on the OSD.

Unfortunately, S-Video is an analog standard and there's no way to make it digital.

The TV-out is limited to the TV-encoder chips capablaties, usualy 1024x768.

There is nothing you can do here.

You need to use the D-sub port to convert to DVI.

The D-sub (Monitor out can go as far as 2048x1536)

There is no other way this should also give the best quality (other than DVI-out).

Guest citrixcl

well i would need a box to convert analog to digital in my case since the monitor has DVI-D and not DVI-I but that wouldnt accomplish anything since that is basically what hte mointor does itself i think with the vga input i am already giving it... oh well and no i stick to 1600x1200 which is the natural for both my laptop and the monitor