LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Screen Blank Problem

oneeyedhobbit

I'm clueless as to what caused this one...

At any rate, I had been contentedly running driver version 61.77 with the latest version of Larry's personal inf for the I 5150. No problems noted. However, all of the sudden when I run that particular set-up, my laptop seems to start fine, but after the initial load up it looks like its going to do the routine black screen flash associated with these drivers--the catch being that it stays black and locked out. I went into safe mode, uninstalled everything and reinstalled it all with no go. Still the black screen. Currently I'm doing things VGA style.

The only change in my system was the installation of an HP psc 2410 all in one printer and the latest included software. Shouldn't affect my driver, but what do I know? The computer had run fine since I installed it (yesterday), until today--the first time I noticed it was after shutting my cover to put the laptop into stand-bye.

Hopefully thats enough info to diagnose/troubleshoot, as its all I've got. Thanks,

Will

P.S. I was thinking of moving to the 68.xx driver (the newest potential official driver, I forget exact numbers) but when I downloaded it, I noticed two versions to install--E and ME or something. Which should I be using?

That's a good, solid driver version, so please try two things. The first is to uninstall (for the moment) the HP PSC 2410. It may be loading at the same time as the driver blink, and causing your problem. If that fixes it, we'll go from there.

If not, then switch to Pieter's inf and let us know what happens. Thanks!

Follow LSudlow's advice, but for your information E=English only, ML=MultiLanguage ("I noticed two versions to install--E and ME or something. Which should I be using?")

Btw is it the same problem as HERE ?? It#s also 61.77 , but you have a DELL, the others have Toshibas...

Alright, I do suspect it is related to the printer. I tried to uninstall everything for the printer today, and it comes to a dialog box talking about a VGA controller...don't know why on earth a printer would use this, but it does. I'm not sure this is entirely uninstalled, for what thats worth--everytime it comes to the VGA section I get an installer lock up and have it shuts itself down.

But, now I can't run in anything but VGA. I guess to be fair I haven't tried an "official" Nvidia driver, but everyone I install from this site, with or without the printers presence, my computer fails to boot--it starts loading my desktop, but when it gets to the point where the screen would normally flash, it stays blacked out. I've tried giving it ample time (half an hour) just in case it was a massive slow down.

I imagine a full system restore would cure this (until I install the printer and graphics card drivers gain--then what?) but I really don't have time, I've got a busy week at school. Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated in helping me find a fast resolution to this.

Edit: Oh, and dontknow, I reviewed the thread you linked to--my problem is indeed similar to those reported there. After starting, it looks like my computer will load normally (it even starts) then it gets to where it loads (I assume) the graphics controller and goes black.

Did you tried Larry's INF (LSudlow) or did you try to comment out the ModeSetBlankDelay value at Pieter's INF?

Regardless of whether you use Pieter's or mine, try setting ModeSetBlankDelay to 150 and see if it helps.

Also, if you boot into Safe Mode (as opposed to VGA mode) you should be able to uninstall both the HP device and the video driver and start over.

My inf should work since we have virtually identical machines.

I ended up installing Pieter's inf for 61.77, and this is the first succesful combo I've had all day--however, I also need to reinstall my printer. I really don't understand why Larry's inf wouldn't, either, as our computers are near-identical, as pointed out. Regardless, I'm going to try reinstalling my printer with this inf. If that works out, I might try to go back to Larry's inf. If that fails, I'll try the blank screen sol'n. If that doesn't work, I'll stick with Pieter's inf.

Sounds good! Glad you have it working, at least!

:)