LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Mitac 8060b White Screen

Guest NeGz

Hi guys, this is my first post on these forums.

I'm having a really weird problem with my Mitac 8060b of late. It is a Centrino notebook with a Geforce FX5200Go, and I'm having this same problem with the latest drivers from the nvidia site as well as the latest from laptopvideo2go (with all three different inf files.)

Basically, I have my laptop set to just turn off the screen when I close the lid. If I close the lid and reopen it without touching the mouse, there are no problems. However, if I close the lid and move the mouse (or partially close the lid so the screen goes off and touch the touchpad), when I reopen the lid my LCD will remain completely black. It then slowly fades to white. If I push Fn+F11 to turn the screen off and on again, everything is back to normal.

As far as I can tell, this problem started as soon as I installed SP2. I can't be 100% sure though, as I only have an XP+SP2 integrated install CD at the moment. I thought it might be a hardware problem, but if I uninstall the nvidia drivers, everything works fine, though I obviously don't get all the benefits of my graphics card. Closing the lid also seems to work fine whenever I'm not booted into Windows.

I can't find anyone else on the internet with this problem, I'm about to see if I can find a way to get rid of SP2 and see if that's the problem, but if anyone has any ideas I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks, Nic.

I ve got a same sort of problem with my laptop...

When i close the lit and re-open it, it wil go black to white and then with some rainbow coloured stripes......

So when i close and open it a few times, or use Fn keys i get it beck to normal...

dont mix the problems here,

neato you must find your chipset and install the corresponding drivers for it. I can't tell without looking on your Laptop's manufacturer homepage which chipset you have.

NeGz, have you tried Pieter's INF with any Driver or does it only happen with the default XPSP2 v56.72 (i think) drivers. I would suggest there is a problem with the LidSetClosePower value, but i could be defenitely wrong. ANd the white screen only happens when "moving the mouse" to bring back LCD light?

Well, neato's problem does seem a little like mine, apart from the rainbow colours.

dontknow: I've tried a few different versions of Pieter's INF, most notably both the 30.32 and No Tweaks versions of 66.81. I've also tried the stock standard 61.77 drivers from the nvidia website with Pieter's 30.25.

I've just managed to get XP + SP1 installed (without SP2) and found that it has the same problem with the 66.81 drivers. I've just reinstalled to SP2 and I'm about to try some older (4x/5x series) drivers.

It has to be something to do with the latest nvidia drivers in general. I've tried booting a Linux livecd which worked fine, and the problem didn't seem to start happening until a few weeks ago.

Oh, and the problem doesn't happen if I open the lid and move the mouse to bring the power back on. The problem happens if I move the mouse at all while the lid is closed. For example, if I close the lid, move the mouse, and open the lid, it will fade from black to white until I turn the LCD off and on again.

Edited by dontknow

Thanks for fixing that dontknow.

I've just installed the drivers from my original notebook CD, which are 44.22 if I read the driver version (4.4.2.2) right. The problem doesn't seem to be happening. I don't play games much, but I do like the new interface for using dualview and stuff, so I'll see how far I can upgrade without the problem occuring.

I would guess till 52.16 then they (NV) changed stuff internally..........................

NeGz, driver v61.77 (though official) has reported issues on Toshibas. They also suffer from Black Screen at Startup or garbled box or no Login screen or whatever. See here http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=5961 .

What i want to say it might be a bad driver to use. I would suggest using v66.32.

Also you should compare the 44.22 INF with the newer INFs under "SoftwareDeviceSettings" and write down the difference value. There is probably one value that has to be edited in Pieters INF for you to work.

What is MITAC's driver download site? Where can i find specs about this prduct? I can't find it on mitac.com.au?! only the 8050

Driver downloads were available at www.mitacservice.com, unfortunately, they seem to have recently cut the laptop section from that site, so I'm not sure where to get them from at the moment. I'll have a look at the INF files and see if I can find any differences.

I'll try and give the newer drivers a go, unfortunately I'm having some trouble rolling back to the 44.22 drivers after trying newer ones. Even after running the nvidia driver cleaner I've had to totally reinstall XP and the 44.22 drivers to get back to normal. :)

Ok, the INFs don't make much sense to me, but here is a copy of the SoftwareDeviceSettings from the 44.22 drivers included on the Mitac CD.

I don't play games much, so my main concern is having a working driver with decent support for Dualview so I can watch videos on my TV screen. I've definately had newer drivers than these 44.22 ones working fine in the past, I just have no idea what version they were, heh.

Thanks for all your help so far, by the way. :)

[nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings_8060_MAP464]
HKR,, InstalledDisplayDrivers,     %REG_MULTI_SZ%, nv4_disp
HKR,, VgaCompatible,               %REG_DWORD%,    0
HKR,, VPEENABLE,                   %REG_DWORD%,    0
HKR,, Mobile,                      %REG_DWORD%,    3
HKR,, UseHWSelectedDevice,         %REG_DWORD%,    1
HKR,, RMMaintainDevs,              %REG_DWORD%,    1
HKR,, DualViewMobile,              %REG_DWORD%,    1
HKR,, DevSwitchSuppressMask,       %REG_DWORD%,    5
HKR,, UseBestResolution,           %REG_DWORD%,    1
HKR,, UseGDIRefreshRate,           %REG_DWORD%,    1
HKR,, "TV Out",                    %REG_DWORD%,    2
HKR,, MapOSD3ToNV,                 %REG_DWORD%,    3
HKR,, SoftEDIDs,                   %REG_DWORD%,    1
HKR,, ModesetBlankDelay,           %REG_DWORD%,    1
HKR,, OverlayMode2,                %REG_DWORD%,    2
HKR,, UseGDIRefreshRate,           %REG_DWORD%,    1
HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NVIDIA
HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NVIDIA,DisplayName,%REG_SZ%,"NVIDIA Windows 2000/XP Display Drivers"
HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NVIDIA,UninstallString,%REG_SZ%,"rundll32.exe %11%\nvinstnt.dll,NvUninstallNT4 nvmt.inf"
HKR,, "DefaultSettings.BitsPerPel",%REG_DWORD%,16
HKR,, "DefaultSettings.XResolution",%REG_DWORD%,800
HKR,, "DefaultSettings.YResolution",%REG_DWORD%,600

[edit: i shortened the INF]

Edited by dontknow

NeGz, actually there is the v66.29 driver, which has your INF included (NVMT.inf), if that's your inf (?), but i guess so.

Sorry for the misleading, this driver should work. If not then the value compare (SoftwareDeviceSrttings) has to be done, though that is always be difficult as some values are missing, others are not needed anymore or have a default value which differs from other nVIDIA driver releases.

Edited by dontknow

Hrm, that one looks promising, it has Medion, who sell a rebranded Mitac 8060b... I'll give it a go.

The weirdest thing at the moment is if I;

1) Install XP+SP2

2) Install 44.22 (everything works fine at this point)

3) Uninstall 44.22

4) Install any newer driver (starts playing up here)

5) Uninstall newer driver (including running driver/cab cleaner)

6) Reinstall 44.22

Then the white/black screen problem stays. The only way I can find to get rid of it is to totally reinstall Windows XP and the 44.22 drivers. I'll try these latest ones, but it's 2:48am here and I'm about ready to throw my notebook out the window, heh.

WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOO

The 66.29 with the NVMT.INF works like a charm, you're a god among men dontknow. :)

Perhaps tomorrow I'll see if I can figure out what parts of the NVMT.INF need to be put into the nv_disp.inf's to make my card work with other drivers. For now, it's definately bed time for me, and I'll sleep well knowing my notebook is in working order. :)

I'll see if I can figure out what parts of the NVMT.INF need to be put into the nv_disp.inf's to make my card work with other drivers.
PLEASE do that! And report back because i have this feeling that the setting you might find could be important for all those "Black/Green/White Screens at Startup" problems. But i could alos be 100% wrong with my thinking. I can only say, please do that. It would help us.
The weirdest thing at the moment is if I

Then the white/black screen problem stays.

This must be due some entries in the registry left over. Go figure which, this should also give a clue.

This is where to look and delete:

- HKLM/SYSTEM/C/CCS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\Settings

- HKLM/SYSTEM/C/CS001 and HKLM/SYSTEM/C/CS002

- HKLM/SYSTEM/C/CCS/SERVICES/NV (and aslo both ControlSets 001 & 002)

- HKLM/SOFTWARE/NVIDIA CORPORATION and to be complete HKCU/SOFTWARE/NVIDIA CORPORATION

Sigh...

I just woke up this morning to find the laptop doing the same thing it was before. Only this time it's not caused by moving the mouse anymore... I'll try and see what's causing it now. Maybe it is a hardware fault that only happens with the nvidia drivers, but I'm having to take a break so I don't rip this laptop to parts.

• 5 years later...
Guest M@XiMuM

To conclude that topic on Mitac 8060b and its clones (Gericom 8060b, Hollywood Centrino-8060B, maxSelect TravelBook M5Wide, Versiya Magellan 55W and many more), some findings from me to the owners of these barebone laptops:

- in WinXP, the latest nVidia drivers that work well {no flickering at the top of the screen, no black\white screens, no hangups, etc.} are v.81.40 from here

- At least I haven't met any problems with these after flashing the latest available BIOS (version 1.02) and KBC (also 1.02). The laptop firmware files are available from http://mtc.mitacservice.com

- latest Synaptics touchpad drivers from this site enable multi-touch on this ancient thing :)

- latest XP drivers for the chipset and built-in Wifi (Intel 2100 3B) are available at intel.com

- latest driver for HSP56 softmodem could be downloaded from connexant.com

- "Media Power Button" driver and software at http://mtc.mitacservice.com is the latest one. DO NOT INSTALL UPDATE FOR offered by WindowsUpdate - its meant for another model and it will NOT work!!!

- latest drivers for AC97 Sound Card and 8139 ethernet are available at www.realtek.com.tw

Hope this will save many hours in reinstalling, as I've spent the whole day bringing this crap to life after HDD failure...

P.S.

- Win7 is not working at this laptop (BSOD), as even the latest BIOS is not fully ACPI compliant

- but latest Ubuntu works flawlessly with this old thing...