LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Problem with water reflections in HL2

Guest pichon201

Guest pichon201

The first time i played HL2, i was using the Nvidia driver 65.73, and the mobile modified inf (dont remember what version), the game ran just fine, and the water reflections were quite impressive. But when i knew that there was an optimized Nvidia Driver for playing HL2, i got that driver (67.02) with the mobile tweaked inf, ver 30.39 (Not the performance Optimized one), the game ran pretty good, and it looked very nice too, it ran faster than with the 65.73 one. But when i got to the first place with water, the reflections were gone, (And my settings were in the Reflect all, option). The water distortion effect was there, but no reflections. And when i got to the sewers, where the water is blue, the water looked horrible, it wasn't transparent, (And i remember when i was playing with the 65.73 driver, the water looked great in that part too). So i decided to change back to my old driver (65.73), i unistalled my drivers, from the Add and remove utility in control panel, i rebooted in Safe Mode, and used Driver Cleaner, to clean my reg. I rebooted again, and i installed the 65.73 driver, but with the inf ver 30.32. I restarted my laptop again.

Then i started HL2, and the water had no reflections again. And it looked just as bad, as when i was using the 67.02 one. I,ve tried the driver version 66.93 too, but i have the same problem. Im currently using the version 66.93, because it run doom3 pretty well, but i cant get my laptop to run HL2 as when i first played it with the 65.73.

The game runs smoothly, (like 35 fps average, and it looks grate besides the water reflections) but, i want those reflections effects back :) .

Any suggestions?

(By the way sorry for my bad spelling)

My laptop specs are:

Toshiba Satellite 5205-S705

Nvidia Geforce Fx 5600 64 mb

512 mb RAM, 80 gb HD 5400 rpm

Pentium 4 2.4 ghz

Direct x version 9.0 c