LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Slow Samsung P28

Ecion

Hello. My friend just got a Samsung P28 laptop. It has a 1.5Ghz Celeron-M processor with 512Kb L2 cache, 256MB of DDR333/PC2700 ram, and a ATI Radeon 9000 IGP.

The 9000 is configured to take 64MB of the system memory.

Everest reports the core as 300mhz, and the gfx ram should be 333mhz.

I know this is not the best system in the world, but performance was expected to be higher than it currently is.

It scores 2800 on 3DMark2001SE. For comparison my XP2000+ desktop machine with a geforce2MX400 scores 3300.

The owner intends to puchase a 512MB stick of DDR400/PC3200. This should also give the 9000 400mhz ram instead of 333mhz correct?

They assure me that the 4.12 drivers are installed. Is there anything else that needs to be checked or is it really meant to be this bad?

I don't know if that pc will work with DDR400, also, why did he get a Celeron?

The proccessor will need to have an 800 MHz FSB to use DDR400 I think. (533 MHz FSB for DDR333 [PC2700], 400 MHz FSB for DDR266 [PC2100])

And why did he buy only 256 MB of RAM in the first place?

Adding more RAM and getting a Faster proccessor should enable him to get a higher score.

With the specs you listed that score sounds about right.

Here is about what get on my laptop. (specs in sig, obviously)

3dmark2001SEscore.jpg

That is with the 42.58 drivers I believe.

Since it is not listed in my sig, my CPU is a Northwood P4-M with 512 KB L2 cache.

He didnt get the choice of hardware, he was bought it as a present.

It should work with ddr400 shouldnt it? The chipset supports it, and a different ratio could be used to allow the ram to run at 400mhz(200mhz), and the processor at 400mhz(100mhz).

I mentioned upgrading the processor. Quite exspensive, its about £170 for a 1.5Ghz Pentium-M 1MB cache. He was considering it, but I am unsure if it will really help, as I dont know how decent the radeon 9000 is, would it hold it back too much?

I know its hard to predict this kind of thing, but do you have an idea of how much it would score on 3DMark2001SE if he had 512MB of DDR400 and a 1.5Ghz Pentium-M?

I think he would need to get around 7000-8000 to make it worth while, otherwise its just a waste of money.

I would not know too much, but he reallly needs more RAM if he wants to play games, or do anything on Windows XP. If the chipset supports DDR400 I guess it will work, but you should check first, those P-M proccessors are very different than mine, so I have no ideaa about what kind of performance a 1.5 GHz one with 1 MB cache would get.

The mobile Radeon 9000 should be faster than my card though....

that cards intergrated dont expect much better then intel extrme graphics my friend has the same one but made by toshiba and it has a p4 prescott he cant play a game with that for beans he was using stock divers though didnt try ati modded drivers to c if they would help, i dont think it will support ddr400 and really wouldnt help cause the speed would just drop back to 300 :) srry