LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Changing GPU

Guest maciek

Guest maciek

one day out of curiosity i unscrewed the my laptop and dug deep to check how my fx5600 gpu looks like. i found it wrapped in complicated aluminium cooling case, which i took off. i took out the card too, and it was not soldered to the mainboard nor it was integrated, it was attached by three ports. :) since it was so easy to take it out and put it back in, i wonder what are the chances of upgrading it? my card has 64MB ram and i would like to have at least 128. however my chipset (intel 854gv) supports only AGPx4 so another quesion is whether extra GPU ram would have any impact on the performance?

Many people have wished for the very same thing. It's only recently that GPUs are installed as separate components rather than being solderied to the motherboard. And you're right, they're a cinch to replace. I upgraded my 32MB FX Go5200 to the 64MB version with no trouble at all.

The problem is that nobody makes faster GPUs in the right configuration. The laptop manufacturers don't see enough of an upgrade market to produce them. Many of us have urged third party manufacturers to jump into the gap, but no takers yet.

It won't help you, but the next generation of GPU will be very modular, with a common configuraton and socket for all models in all laptops. When that happens, your next laptop will be upgradable.