LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Anarchy Online?

Guest JesseR

Guest JesseR

I'm losing my mind over everything right now, and I'm here for some kind of help...

So, the specs:

Dell Inspiron 5160

Nvidia Geforce FX Go5200

Pentium 4 3.2ghz

Brand new laptop.

My problem is, I love Anarchy Online.

The thing is, ANYWHERE I can develop random lag spikes. Or slow spikes.

I can be staring at a wall and they happen. When they happen, everything goes slow. The cursor moves extremely slow, everything just...LAGS.

It's annoying when you're trying to level a character or anything...and you die because of these slow spikes, or miss out on the good loot because you're too busy yelling at your computer for how annoying it can be.

I've tried millions of things. Yes that was an exaggeration, good job!

I've tried playing with settings in the Nvidia control panel thingy, and the settings in AO.

I'm out of ideas.

However, I have not tried a new driver. The problem is, I have no idea how to do that.

I want to know...what driver should I try if I should try one?

I'm looking for pretty much any last ditch hopes before I give up on this game. Is it the card? What's going onnnnn?

P.s. if there's any idea that it's my connection, I have Cable wireless. so...i dunnooo..

HELPPPPPP.

Do you have lag spikes with other games?

Do they happen when you play offline? If they don't then your internet connection is to blame.

What driver version are you currently running?

Dell's drivers for your laptop should be pretty recent actually.

Also, is your laptop overheating?

Cleaning it out really does help sometimes.

Bill

Guest JesseR

Alrighty...

I don't have lag spikes in any other games, because I don't have any other games.

This was the first game I got for my computer, since it was free and all. Except I don't have access to my counter-strike game to test it.

Driver version is...6.14.10.6610?

It's only overheated once, but that's because it was in an enclosed space and the fan in the back powers out a large amount of hot air.

I tried to clean it, but I can't get access to the fan, let alone take the bottom off my computer at all because of where they've put the screws (two located beneath the screen, unable to get at without removing the screen).

I didn't say you had to go and take your brand new laptop apart, I guess that would be your last resort lol. (how could a brand new laptop get that dirty)

Does it happen when you play the game offline?

Can you even play that game offline?

You are using driver version 66.10 (the last 4 digits are it)

You could try some newer drivers.

Like 71.24.

Since you have an Inspiron 5160, you might want to check this out.

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?t=Dell_51X0

The 71.24 driver with his INF might be good to try, although if it is your internet connection that is causing it to lag then you or the server you are playing on or the people you play against need faster internet connections.

As of right now, that INF should work right out of the box with the 71.24 driver which can be found here.

http://download.laptopvideo2go.com/nvidia/70series/7124.exe

Also, while you are at it, you could try some game demos or something, which would also help you enjoy the power of your new laptop. :)

The UT2004 and FarCry demos might be good places to start.

Also if you can get access to the counter strike game to test that would be good as well, if you get lag spikes in any of those offline then you have a problem.

I just read your new post, but I'm posting this anyway, internet connection problem is what it sounds like to me, but there is nothing wrong with trying a new driver.

Edit: For those that don't get my above statement, he posted right before I finished typing this.

Bill

Even though my laptop is fairly powerful it had a laggy effect due to the fact it was running in "Laptop" mode with SpeedStep. Go to the power options, set it to desktop/always on settings then test the game again to see if it is affected.

Bill's advice with newer drivers is also recommended.