LaptopVideo2Go Forums

when changing screen resolution = crash and re

vini

My inspiron 8000 has only the built-in monitor. But in display properties, I can read "multiple monitors on Dell 8000", and everytime I want to change the resolution, the computer crashes and reboots. I can only run properly in VGA only mode.

What is the problem?

thanks for your help.

Vince

Hello vini,

for me it seems like a wrong driver install. Have you read and followed the advices, tips and HowTos for driver installation for example HERE or HERE ? At the second link pay attention to to picture 2 and 3.

Hello,

Thank you very much for your help...You are the only person that helped me.

I contacted Dell Support (US and France)...they are really crap. They said that because it is not the original configuration, they can't do any support. I agree, but they did not even try to advice, or...

Following your advices, I will re-install video drivers. Should I use the latest driver? 67.02?

last question: is it worth switching to winXP on a PIII 800Mhz, 384Mb?

thanks a lot again,

Vini

all answers YES

And uninstall the old driver first porperly. (read the manual :) ,... i mean the instructions at Pieter's frontpage)

I just tried the installation of 67.02 using "have disk" method....without using the modded inf. SHould I use it?

Here is what I did:

I uninstalled the old driver (44.68), reboot...but there was no display adapter available in device manager but VGA controller in others devices.

When I browsed to the folder 67.02 (containing extracted drivers), I found the file nv4_disp.inf, selected it, click on open but in the next window, there was no device driver available...weird, no?

I re-installed 44.68. And It seems to work. But I still have this "multiple monitors on Dell 8000"....

Thanks for all your help.

I do not understand what's happenning?

vini

without using the modded inf. SHould I use it?
Yes, you must use Pieter's modded INF or your Graphic card will not be recognized by the Operating System (XP or 2K doesn't matter).

You need to replace the original nv4_disp.iNF with the one you downloaded from here (Pieter's mobile modded INF).

That's why we have this site to provide you with INFs who support all Graphic cacrds. So uninstall again then reboot and install the 67.xx driver ewith the modded INF inside the driver folder using Have Disk method.