LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Please Help issues with XGI Volari card

Guest Twilightshadows

Guest Twilightshadows

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 5160 with the XGI Volari XP5 video card. I just purchased World of Warcraft and have not been able to play it at all. I can get to the account and character creation pages fine, but when I try to connect to the game server I get a physical memory dump error with my main display driver as part of the message. I contacted Blizzard tech support and they had me modify the game:

"C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe" -opengl -swtnl -windowed

This modification does not cause a physical memory dump but instead I get this:

This application has encountered a critical error:

ERROR #0 (0x85100000)

Program: C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe

File: C:\build\buildWoW\WoW\Source\Ui\MinimapFrame.cpp

Line: 1298

Expr: !("CGMinimapFrame::Initialize(): can't get render target for minimap")

WoWBuild: 4150

I was told by Blizzard tech support that this message is indicating that there is an issue with the video card's driver. I was also told that the XGI Volari is not on their supported card list but they are not aware of any known issues with it either. Yet, I have been told by both Blizzard and Dell that the card meets the game's requirements and should work.

Comparing it to the 32 MB NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200, the only difference that I can see is that the XGI Volari has a Data Width of 64-bit while the Geforce's is 128-bit.

Has anyone else had a similar problem or ideas or suggestions ? I'm about ready to give up and take Blizzard up on they offer for a full refund. :)

Thank you.

I don't know if you have already tried this but can you downgrade to a previous driver and try to see if it works?

Let us know

Here's their site, however it points back to Dell.com:

http://www.xgitech.com/sd/sd_download.asp

Is Dell offering the latest driver? Does it match up with XGI's driver version reference numbers? If they do use a UDA format for their drivers then maybe there can be some INF modification in order to get the card to work with the latest drivers for your system...?

:) :)

Yeah I did some checking like John did. Looks like the only driver at the moment is the one on Dell's site -- and yes if you can find a newer one than Oct 04 and attempt to force it on your system.

Perhaps some DX diagnostics would be helpful?

Start -> Run -> dxdiag

Not a lot of info on that video card and it would probably boil down to the drivers.

There was another post in the last week from a user with a XGI Volari card.

Here is the member link http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showuser=738

You could PM him and ask him if he has a suggestion.

Guest Twilightshadows
I don't know if you have already tried this but can you downgrade to a previous driver and try to see if it works?

Let us know

Is Dell offering the latest driver?  Does it match up with XGI's driver version reference numbers?  If they do use a UDA format for their drivers then maybe there can be some INF modification in order to get the card to work with the latest drivers for your system...? 

I have the newest driver from Dell's website installed:

" XGI Volari XP5 , v.2.097 (MS6.14.01.2097), A06

Release Date: 11/07/2004

Description: Updated driver for XGI Volari-XP5 32MB graphics card on Inspiron 5150 and 5160. "

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it at the direction of dell's tech support (which none of the half dozen people I've talked to over there has even heard of WoW). I also tried rolling back to the pervious driver with the same result.

I have no idea if they use a UDA format or not. Is there someway to check ? I also haven't found anywhere else to download XGI drivers other then dell's site.

I ran the DX diagnostics, all the tests passed. Although I had some problems the first couple times I ran them in the 1400x1050 resolution. The 3D tests would stop with the message that the user canceled the test by pressing a key (which I didn't) and it also decided that my sound card didn't exist.

I got my sound card working again and now the tests work fine when I've tested them at three different resolutions. :)

Here is what the DX diagnostics brought up:

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A05

Processor: Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)

Card name: XGI Volari-XP5 v2.097.DELL

Manufacturer: XGI Technology, Inc.

Chip type: XGI Volari-V3/XGI Volari-XP5

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1023&DEV_2200&SUBSYS_A2011028&REV_02

Display Memory: 32.0 MB

Current Mode: 1400 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Driver Name: Xgiv3.dll (this is the file that came up as part of the physical memory dump error message)

Driver Version: 6.14.0001.2097 (English)

DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 10/6/2004 20:07:28, 887808 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp: n/a

VDD: n/a

Mini VDD: Xgiv3m.sys

Mini VDD Date: 10/6/2004 20:13:06, 337152 bytes

Device Identifier: {D7B71EC3-6140-11CF-A97B-0082A3C2CB35}

Vendor ID: 0x1023

Device ID: 0x2200

SubSys ID: 0xA2011028

Revision ID: 0x0002

Revision ID: 0x0002

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_B ModeMPEG2_D

Deinterlace Caps: n/a

Registry: OK

DDraw Status: Enabled

D3D Status: Enabled

AGP Status: Enabled

DDraw Test Result: All tests were successful.

D3D7 Test Result: All tests were successful.

D3D8 Test Result: All tests were successful.

D3D9 Test Result: All tests were successful.

I'm really grateful for all of your help. The last time I spoke with dell suport they wanted me to physically remove half of my ram and see if that was the problem.

Anyone got a bang head smilie ? :)

Crazy

The vendor id you have is 1023 while the vendor id for the desktop drivers are 18CA. Were they bought out by somebody?

Not much info in the INFs but keys like this are scary... EnableOpenGL. Hopefully that's standard :)

Sad news though is the drivers look totally different.

No driver moshing :)

Guest Twilightshadows
Crazy

The vendor id you have is 1023 while the vendor id for the desktop drivers are 18CA. Were they bought out by somebody?

Funny you should ask that. This is one of the articles I found while trying to dig up some info on the card.

Dark Vision Harware

The Inquirer reports that some of Dell's notebooks will feature graphics chips from XGI. In the past Dell had a long term relationship with Trident, which supplied hardware to Dell. Trident is now part of XGI and thus this new company has got an imporant deal.
Not much info in the INFs but keys like this are scary... EnableOpenGL. Hopefully that's standard

:) ????? do you mean the modification to the game blizzard had me do ?

"C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe" -opengl -swtnl -windowed

Sorry for being so clueless. I'm getting an unexpected crash course in drivers as I go.

The registry key is found in the mobile drivers. It's just a comment as I truly have no idea what the key enables specifically.

I think the drivers are the issue and the XGI platform is too new since having bought Trident.

I saw this post at another forum talking about a desktop version that can't play games.

http://www.volarigamers.com/viewtopic.php?...9c798e6c7c1d2e1

I have no answers, sorry. Wish I could help. At this stage you either have to wait for another driver, wait for a possible WoW patch (I don't think the game is the problem), update the card or return the game.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Twilightshadows

I just wanted to say that I finally got WoW to work on my laptop. Apparently by removing opengl from the modification "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe" -opengl -swtnl -windowed but leaving the others bypasses whatever issue the game was having with the drivers. Thank you again for all your help. I hope this helps someone else if they ever have the same problem. Thank you.

:)

Thankyou for coming back with that fix.

Hopefully others will find this useful.

Enjoy WOW