LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Use old original (modified) inf with new driver

Jeroen

Is it possible to use an older inf (the original 47.13 from MEDION) to work with a newer driver like 71.24 or something just with some changes in it (in the inf)

My question on another way :

Is it difficult to create your own inf that only supports your laptop (for example modifying the latest inf that came with your laptop to make it work with a newer driver??)

I would like to try this because I hope my TV-outproblem and my screenproblem should be solved then when I am using a new(er) driver...

( a little bit like Larry made for his Inspirion 5150 )

To be able to install at all you need just two lines (example follows which is not for your card)

[NVIDIA.Mfg]
%NVIDIA_NV40.DEV_0040.1% = nv4_NV3x,                 PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0040

in the beginning and its match at the end:

; Localizable Strings
NVIDIA                 = "NVIDIA"
NVIDIA_NV40.DEV_0040.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra"

NVIDIA has made quite a few changes since the 4X.XX line so you would not be able to just move the 47.13 file over, modify it a little (with above code) and install.

After making it "Go" ready then the other additional lines in the INF file assist the mobile platform, looking at your 47.13 INF can help lead you to what your manufacturer wants but there are newer drivers (71.20) that will have OEM INF files included that you will want to look at. One of the NVXX.inf files will include your model.

Thx,

I found the OEM inf for my pc (NVWI.inf)

But that if is much larger than my 47.13 inf, is this inf already modded or not? I have to add five lines to it to make my tvout working but when I did that in Pieter's performance inf I screwed up my graphics card and I had to bring my laptop back for repair (they had to replace the motherboard because of the graphics card)

I don't want this problem again so that's the reason I wnat to make my own inf from the original that came with my notebook (adding the stuff that need to be added to let the newer drivers work good)

But I will take a good look at those OEM infs, my original inf and at Pieter's infs to learn somehting to optimize my own!!

I've tried that OEM inf for my pc but if I restart my pc I hangs on the windows logon screen, I've reinstalled the previous drivers and it was solved. But I think I'm going to make the original nvidia driver "go" and add the support for my pc (first compare the medion 47.13inf and the original nvidia 47.13 inf to see what the differences are)