LaptopVideo2Go Forums

"cancelled the test by pressing a button"

Guest Sky

Soes anyone else have this/similar problems?

I have a Toshiba Satellite 2430 - S255 with an nVidia GeForce4 420go 32MB card.

I'm running Windows XP pro on it, latest DirectX (always) and I've tried multiple drivers (Pieter's and Teraphy). I am currently on Pieter's "56.72 Qlity/Perf. 20.32 StarStorm the Speed/Quality Combo version of the driver ".

Fact is, every time I remove the original Toshiba driver and put in ANY of the mods I've tried so far, I ALWAYS have the same problem.

When I do a dxdiag, and click on Direct3D test, it says "You cancelled the test by pressing a button". All other tests work perfectly.

I initially suspected that there was something running on my system (Toshiba stuff, because I tested it on a freshly recovered system (recovery CD) and I still get the same problem. I even uninstalled all the unnecessary crapand tested it with nothing but Windows XP and the standard Toshiba software...still no luck.

I eventually found that a temporary workaround was ending the process of a file in the task manager called "CeEKey.exe". I think this file is something to do with the Media buttons on the Laptop. Initially, I was ecstatic that I'd found the cause, but now even on ending the process, the problem doesn't go away all the time.

Has anyone else heard of, experienced, seen, etc this problem, and has anyone gotten around it?

Any further information needed, I can provide. Just reply to this post and I'll put on whatever info is requested.

Thanks to you all

Sky

There should be at least 2 topic hidden somewhere in the forum, if i remember right. Pls. search for "DXDIAG and cancel".

Hope that helps.

Do you have S255 or S205 model?

The#y psoted anew BIOS for S205

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=684

I wonder if Toshiba made a typo??

Edited by dontknow

Do you have S255 or S205 model?

Nope...I'm certain my machine is a 2430 S255. Its an American model, and you can find it in the support.toshiba.com boxes.

Toshiba has this utility called EasyKey that it preloads onto some of its systems, or at least it did a year ago. I suspect that could be the cause of the problem.

Is there no way to just make Direct3D invulnerable to key presses or memory resident apps that simulate key press behaviour?

Sky

Is there no way to just make Direct3D invulnerable to key presses or memory resident apps that simulate key press behaviour?

No.

Just kill the process easybutton or what it is called.

Guest Gialdy

I had the same problem, but I fix it killing a Nvidia process. I can't remember the name. It is the one that loads the profiles and a icon to your taskbar. I first turned it off from MSCONFIG. After I was sure it was that, I went to the registry and deleted it. It's working fine now.