LaptopVideo2Go Forums

How to force a resolution?

Guest ArsVidere

Guest ArsVidere

how can i force the driver to offer the resolution of 1280 x 800 x 16 or 32.

the native res of my tft is 1680x1050, but this is in some gaming situations to heavy. so i want to use 1280x800 but the current used driver (others did) does not offer, although it must be possible to use that resolution. does anybody know a solution for that?

tia

With my INF that resolution is supported by default, it's not a default resolution that nVidia uses.

Install any driver with the appropriate modded INF and the resolution will become available.

Or try using the custom resolution page in Display properties, although this rarely works.

Enjoy.

Guest ArsVidere

but i want to use the driver which i use at the moment. i installed already with a modded inf, which i think is your 30.43P

but i now think it is not a question of graphics card driver but one of monitor inf, because when i try without external tft, it offers my desired res.

that means i have to mod the 2005FPW.inf, haven´t i?

but how? :)

• 3 months later...
Guest Keplar
With my INF that resolution is supported by default, it's not a default resolution that nVidia uses.

Install any driver with the appropriate modded INF and the resolution will become available.

Or try using the custom resolution page in Display properties, although this rarely works.

I would like a custom resolution of 852x480@60Hz DVI for connecting to a Panasonic plasma display. I uninstalled Dell's 72.01 driver from my notebook because it doesn't have custom resolutions. I used DriverCleaner. I could not install 71.89 WHQL drivers from nVidia because I don't have a modified INF file for it, to use with mobile computers (laptops). I installed 76.45 WHQL drivers from Control Panel, using a modified INF and unchecked "Hide resolutions that monitor can't support". I changed the resolution to 720x480 and went to "Custom resolution settings". When I tried to add a custom resolution not divisible by 8, (852x480@60Hz) I got an error "The custom resolution input is invalid". When I tried to add a custom resolution divisible by 8 (848x480@60Hz) I got an error "The custom resolution cannot be added". I'm down to following the advice to use Powerstrip, after believing that I wouldn't have to with a GeForce Go 6800 Ultra. Where can I get a modified INF that will enable this 852x480@60Hz DVI resolution?

Just find the lines that begin with "HKR,, NV_Modes" in any inf. There may be more than one.

You can add any legal resolution yourself. You'll need to reinstall to get it to appear.

Guest Keplar

852 is not divisable by 8. Is 852x480 a legal resolution? Will it stick? Or will I only be able to add divisible by 8 resolutions such as 848x480 this way?

Will the resolution that I add be 32bit and 60Hz?

If I only want to use the custom resolution on an external display, do I modify the file "nv4_disp.inf" or the file "nv4disp2.inf"?

I've uninstalled and installed four different sets of the latest drivers several times. Drivers from Dell, NVIDIA, and a third party. Why is the "Advanced Timing" button in NVIDIA Properties, in the "Custom resolutions and refresh rates" section always hidden for every set of drivers? Is it because the DVI and VGA ports in my laptop don't have a TDMS timing generator, or the right kind of TDMS timing generator? Or is it because an external display is not connected or detected? Does the "Advanced Timing" button only appear when an external display is connected and detected? Or is there some other reason why it doesn't show up in mobile computers such as mine?

If the resolution shows up at all, it will be both 32bit and 60Hz. Only modify nv4_disp.inf" not "nv4disp2.

852 may not work, since you should also be able to do the same thing with the custom resolution page, but it's worth a try. If not, try 848x480 and see if it will meet your needs. This will become an increasing problem as more people connect to widescreen monitors.

Both of your ideas about the missing "Advanced Timing" button are good ones. It may be that you need to be in DualView mode and have the external monitor connected when you boot, but I suspect the lack of TDMS generator is the real culprit.

Guest Keplar

I added both those resolutions to the INF, re-installed, and now they are in the list for the laptop display. When I switch the single display mode from the laptop to the external display (DVI), the resolutions I added are not in the list for display 2. In DualView mode there are two different lists of resolutions. The only way I can send the 852x480 resolution to the external display is by Clone Mode. Any ideas how I can get 852x480 on the list for the external display in single display mode?

I found that the "Advanced Timing" button appears only when my external display is connected. That means the TDMS generator on the laptop is working. Do the settings on the advanced timing page override the current resolution and refresh rate that has been selected from the list?

I believe the advanced timings settings do override the current resolution and refresh rate, though it's something I've never really experimented with.

I'm surprised the new resolutions don't show up in DualView mode. Usually that means the external monitor doesn't support that resolution. Can you choose 848x480 on the external monitor?

Another thought: Can you make the external monitor the primary display? If so, does that change the available resolutions?

Guest Keplar

I'm going by the input signals that the DVI card in the flat panel will accept. The three widescreen resolutions that it will accept are 1366x768, 1066x600, and 852x480. I got these resolutions from the manual. Also, I can send them to the flat panel in Clone Mode. The flat panel's native resolution is 852x480. The only one of the three widescreen resolutions I can send to it from the NVIDIA 6800 Ultra in Single Display Mode, is the maximum supported one which is 1366x768. The other two aren't listed, not even in Dualview mode with the flat panel set as the primary display. The laptop and the flat panel always have their own different lists of available resolutions. How do the NVIDIA drivers create the list of resolution modes for the flat panel when it is detected?

Try this line in your software settings section:

HKR,, IntlTMDSModeClip, %REG_DWORD%, 0

The driver reads the EDID settings from the monitor and matches them against the values it finds in the NV_Modes lines.

Guest Keplar

It didn't work so I finally installed Powerstrip, which is a different can of worms. I'm trying to configure it. In Powerstrip's Custom Resolutions page, for E-EDID resolutions, only one resolution 1366x768 (EDID) is shown there. I guess that's why adding the HKR line to the INF didn't work. Thanks for trying to help. I gotta go learn all about Powerstrip now.

Okay... let us know how you make out. Interesting puzzle!

:)