LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Problems with HOMEWORLD2, HALO1, GTA:VC

Guest Ramlag

Guest Ramlag

Hey, currently im using some old omega corner drivers for my laptop, contacting my manufacturer give me the same crap they've been giving me since i bought the ###### thing, crappy drivers that are about 4 years old now.

Unfortunatly cash is kinda tight and theres 101 birthdays and stuff coming up so i cant buy a new card, but it still annoys me that theres a few games i have which i cant even attempt to play due to problems with the card.

Since these games .... Halo1, Homeworld 2 hardly have outstanding graphics i find it hard to believe they could over stress anything but my video card (since its crap).

I just really need to know what video card drivers i should be using, some games like morrowind and tons of FPS games dont cause me any problems at all but these two are just a real pain in the arse.

It seems to be things like smoke effects that cause the problem, there was a spot on GTA VC that caused a massivly sick ammount of slowdown too where a room was flooded with gas, it just seems this is the problem, really tightly packed semi transparent stuff.

Sorry if this has been brought up before, when it comes to computers i really dont understand a lot of these things, im sure that theres probably one command line or something i can add to fix some of these problems, i just dont know what it is.

(Edit: right now im googling trying to figure out what all this stuff means in the system info secion and filling it in as fast as i can)

You should try some of the 67 drivers.

I am on the 67.50 right now (link to driver and INF in sig)

Some of the newer ones might be good for you too, like 67.66, or the 71.xx series.

The 66.81 might be nice if you like speed.

You need to download the drivers and Pieter's mod INF and replace all of the infs in the driver with the mod INF.

There is also that latest one that came out that might be good, although it might have less speed compared to the 67 series.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Guest Ramlag

Thanks for the info, im downloading the stuff in your sig as i speak.

Eh, heh i dont suppose you could give me a quick idiot guide to installing them could you please =) (and remove the old ones).

Alright, I got the INF and the driver, and removed all the languages exept english, and I removed the setup files, and other files that you don't need, then I got the modded INF put it, it is basically like Pieter's, although overclocking is disabled.

6750ENGsmall.exe

If you want overclocking after you install it go here.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6810

To install that driver, unzip it, and install it through the device manager.

Here is a guide(by Pieter), and a video I made. (its divx)

Hope this helps, the INF replacing has already been done for you, if you need me to fix up a newer driver just ask.

Bill

PS: To remove the old ones go to the add/remove programs thing in the control panel, and look for the nvidia drivers or whatever they are called.

You should not have to uninstall your old ones unless you are going from a newer driver to an old one, although it would not hurt to uninstall your old ones.

Guest Ramlag

Neato, thanks for the help, lol especially the idiot guide avi.

You went out of your way to help me there man, what with modding the inf catering for my driver and deleting all the other stuff (not to mention removing the temptation for me to screw around with the overclocking sliders). I really appreciate that.

No problem, I am here to help people. (or try anyway)

How are those drivers working for you?

If your gaming is not quite up to snuff you could try some others, although those games don't look as demanding as say HL2, ect.

I can whip you up some more if you want.

Guest Ramlag

So far everything i've tried works fine... ok so i havnt tried a hell of a lot of things, pretty much only older games like Black & White, warcraft 3 and such, Homeworld 2 was working just fine however, theres some bugs in the game which s***ty sierra wont fix so they cause problems which COULD be related to the graphics card (mass slowdown after loading, so you need to quit the game and laod from main menu)... Sierra pfft, wont fix it as it dosnt mean the game wont run.

As for Halo, well im trying that at the moment, theres a small ammount of slowdown when theres stuff like weapon overheating going on, but before when i used to play with it the slowdown was so bad that it went to about -1 fps, took about 10 seconds to play a 1 second animation. All in all though its ok i guess, not spectacular but then again this is a crappy vid card =/

Heh and to hell with HL2 i bought it, installed it ... noticed it was crappy steam again (worst mistake ever) and uninstalled it and took it back within 20 mins, still got the CD key if you want it (i complained that the manuals werent in the boxes and that it wasnt in a PDF on the disk so they shipped them all back to their supplier / took them off the shelves) either way i doubt they are gonna be used. If you want it let me know and ill PM you it, i THINK you can still download it if your connection is good enough via steam once you registered.

At least Sierra / Vivendi brand their games as crap though by putting their names on it *cough* tribes2 *cough*.

About Halo for PC, even with a really fast machine it will still run slow, atleast compared to other games, unless they release some sort of speed enhancement patch one day, which is unlikely. (it should slow down at certain parts, that is normal, especially when there is a lot of action on screen)

About HL2, I have a legitimate copy of the game, and have beaten it on my laptop already. (played just fine with the drivers I am on)

If you want to PM the key to me you can, maybe I could find someone that would want it......

You could also submit it somewhere....

We should stop this warez discussion though, don't want to break any rules, or I will have to edit/delete posts in this thread....

Glad the driver works fine.

A newer driver version might fix the bugs in Homeworld 2, not sure what you should try though...

Guest Ramlag

Heh, i wont say the W- word as everything's above board in my mind

Like i said though its usless to me, if YOU want it let me know and its yours else ill just delete / keep hold if it who knows.

Hmm, Homeworld has been real weird, the default drivers that come with WinXP for example i've heard are pretty good with the GF 440 Go in speed reasons only but lack some of the newer features of the newer detonater drivers and stuff, in practice they looked fine when i used they just had sickening slowdowns so i have no idea what to tell you.

Since i have no idea what exactly seems to be the part of my graphics or what its called that messes up i have no idea whats causing it. All i know is things like smoke effects and transparancies can cause problems, i remember messing around with anti-aliasing controls more then once in the past without it fixing much and im pretty sure ive disabled them now under the Nvision control pannel thingy but i dunno.

I think ill just stick to these drivers atm, they work as good as anything ive ever tried and they are a lot more stable (usually i get lockups every few days ending in blue screens of death, later windows error reporting puts it down to a "device driver" specific eh?) so thats been quite handy, until i figure out exactly whats wrong i cant really fix the problem, so trying will just mean i break something (i fried my tnt2 in my old desktop messing around with it) again.