1GB DDR2 533 Memory

60GB 7200RPM Hard Drive

8x DL DVDRW Drive

Internal TV Tuner

ATI X800 256MB PCI-X OR GeFORCE GO 6800 256MB PCI-X Video

Internal 802.11G TURBO WIFI

1.5 - 2 Hour Battery Life

Weighs 12.5LBS

which one would be better? both are the DDR3 versions, also is it worth paying extra for the quadro?

this system is build for gaming if that adds anything, aslo havent decided an OS is there a need for Xp pro if im gaming?

thanks

Bruce, what other system, I can only see 1 ?, can't compare with what you currently have as the x800 would run many circles around you current setup.

You want gaming with the ultimate performance where the current X800 and anything desktop would be proud of ?

The the Dell XPS Gen2 is the machine for you.

It's starting price is US$2700, probably no more than a X800 based system.

It has the go6800 ULTRA, which is just kicking booty with anything else out there.

There is only one other nVidia GPU that runs faster. (desktop or Laptop)

The x800 performs just as well as a standard go6800 and is ample for any modern game.

Hopefully with the XPS2 out they will drop in price as I would go for the XPS2 over anything else eventhough no RAID and it's got a ugly keyboard, just to get that ULTRA.

The machine you mention is a Clevo D900T based machine I take it ?

Very heavy @12lb+

The Dell weighs in @ just under 9lb, believe me 9lb (what I have now) is heavy on the lap after a while.

Always weigh up the pros and cons and get the best for you, don't always take 1 persons word.

Have a good look around.

In the 'Offtopic' section I have some links to all go6800 based manufacturers, they also offer X800 alternatives at usually no extra cost.

Enjoy the search as I am as well.

Guest BRUCE

it is the same setup just with a go 6800 ultra instead.

also im not worried about the weight but cheers for the headsup :)

the system is a sager 9860 which is pretty much the same as the clevo.

as for the xps 2, im in the uk and i would have to import one, the closest we can get is the 9300 :)

so the go 6800 is better then?

The go6800 and the X800 are basicly the same, very similar in speed.

NOW the go6800 Ultra is a kick your arse GPU, like I said it's the 2nd fastest clocked GPU nVidia have at this time.

It beats most desktop GPU's (excepting SLI)

I see you mention 1.5-2 hours battery life for the sager, this in real life will be much less more like just over an hour, less playing intense games.

My personal choice would be the XPS2 over the Sager.

Pros for the XPS2, Cons for the Sager:

Fastest Graphics on a laptop anywhere.

3 lbs lighter, because its smaller, and thinner and hence more portable.

Much longer battery life due to the P-M processor.

Cons for the XPS2, Pros for the Sager:

Doesn't support RAID

Doesn't support Dual Channel RAM

Only takes 1 CD/DVD drive (Sager takes 2)

The P-4 will be faster in processing

Has a numeric key pad (full keyboard)

Machines have other pros and cons but the above are the main ones for me.

Trust me the Sager fully specced (which will cost a fortune (RAID, 2xDVD drives, Dual Channel RAM) is a very nice machine.

But the XPS2 can be taken on the road and all the extra Sager features still won't make up for the XPS2's go6800 Ultra will be faster in anything video.

My personal opinion ,and you must decide what is best for you.

Guest BRUCE

hmm, i see. well i wasnt going to get a RAID setup (too unstable) and the xps2 has got the sweet ultra :) but the dell xp2 does support DDR2 does it not?

im swaying toward the dell, but do you know anywhere that i can get one sent to the uk? that would be a great help

thanks again

The Dell supports 400Mhz DDR2 I think, where as the Sagers/Clevo's support 533Mhz Dual channel.

Probably the biggest plus for the Sagers/Clevos...

There ya go even better, I've learned something as well.

Now all you need is a friend in the US that can buy it and then send it as 'Gift' to you in the UK.

• 3 months later...

i JUST got on monday a new dell inspiron with a gig of 533 ram, a 1.88ghz pentium M (not a bad processor), go 6800 256 meg card. tasty setup. I think nvidia won this generations battle, so I would go with the nvidia over the radeon.