LaptopVideo2Go Forums

FPS drop while playing games

Guest David Olafsson

Guest David Olafsson

Hello all, i own a Acer aspire 1522 wlmi (AMD athlon 64 3000+ 768mem and Nvidia Geforce FX go5700 64mb 8xAGP and Directx 9.0)

When i play games(World of warcraft and Eve online) i get great results, FPS well above what i expected and in most cases im realy happy, but after about 10 minutes of playing i get a huge drop in FPS, and this lasts a few seconds, and then snaps back to normal, the longer i play, the more frequent this gets.

Is this fixable?

i have some issues with sound also, but is sound led through the grafics card in this case?

p.s. i have googled, loaded new drivers for both the whole computer and the Nvidia card, and i cant see any changes

Yeah, I'm having the same problem (mostly when I'm playin CS:Source). I have an GeForce FX Go5350 (also 8x AGP,64MB,DX9)

I have this problem with ALL drivers (original & modded ones). I don't know how to fix it, but it should be cool if somebody knows! :)

This *really* sounds like an overheating problem :)

( There's a thread in the FAQ how to clean the fans.... )

Guest Guest

ok, thanks. Atleast a answer :)

i didnt know overheating could do this.

However, the computer is new, and i saw somewhere someone mention underclocking the grafix card. is this possible(mabey a howto link :P ) on a mobile thingy

thanks for the quick answer :)

Check out this thread, or just click this link to enable the overclocking page.

Then read the warning and enable overclocking, but turn the clock frenquencies down instead of up, set a nice big fan next to your laptop, and try playing the games, if your problems dissapear, then it was an overheating issue.

This is the thread about cleaning your fans out.

Hope this solves your problem.

Bill

Edit: I would have helped you quicker but I was at school receiving my AP Chemistry assignment for the summer. I will have loads of fun with that......

Guest Guest

Thanks a BUNCH. i have yet to test these methods, will post about it when im done though.

I just want to note that i posted this post earlier today, and already i have two usefull answers, google does alot, but good ppl on good forums work miracles. thanks alot again :)

Hehe, I don't know how it would be without fans on my laptop, because I have 1 the internal fan + a cooling pad with 2 fans in it (which cools good) + 2 fans (one P1, one P3) on my cpu (there is just enough space to place them to keep this thing cool). I think this laptop has a bad cooling, because if I do not put on all those (noisie) fans the graphics card is running at +- 70° Celsius!! (and I haven't overclocked it :s )

Guest Guest

i must disgrace myself, i think i might have been abusing my lappy.

playing with it for extended periods, on my lap, without anything hard. good thing the cooling fan(suction) is on the topside, above the keyboard, and exhaust are mainly to the sides and back. i hadnt actually given this any thought untill now(and being a gear freak, i want all sorts of accesories now, fans, pads and what not :)

I have moved it to a table now, and have a thing under it's back, tilting the whole lappy(better to type now also), but, next month, i will be looking into fans and stuff to help the poor thing breath(while i slaughter vile orcs and ugly goblins :) )

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest

I have the same problem. I have a Acer 1520 with go5700 gfx card. I have discovered that the errors are definitively related to Direct3D and the gfxcard itself. There's no problem when I am into heavy 3d work with Maya for instance and the machine gets really hot. I've also noticed that the error was still there when playing Railroad Tycoon 3 in windowed mode. It's just a quick black flash and he machine goes slow for about 10 secs and then a quick black flash and it goes back. When playing in windowed mode I noticed that while the 10 second of slowness happens the whole system is affected. The webpages scrolled slowly and folders with 1000's of files in it. This happens on almost all Direct3D games like Empire Earth II, Railroad Tycoon 3, Rollercoaster Tycoon 3. Half-Life 2 however I've played for hours and there's no slowness while that is playing. Anyone tried an OpenGL game?

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem until I fixed it simply by having a clean system (ie: uncluttered hardrive) and perhaps tweak mod like game xp. Ensures all memory is dedicated to the game so it will not run out of memory and skip frames etc.

strike game xp, I used Tweak XP, then uninstalled it to save space. I really think its because laptops have to be underclocked to be so compact, If you optimize efficiently however, memory etc will be clean and sharp, which is exactly what keeps ur games running smooth and not neccessarily how hot they get!!! (Ie: my Acer 1520 with WOW running for upto 6hrs at a time, and never skips frame, also i havent even upgraded, still got 512mb)

The problem I seem to have is the sound in WoW. For some reason i get crackling sounds, not always but im on the case and beleive it to be a driver prob.

Me again, any XP tweak is basically a software facility so that processing and memory usage can be optimized for a particular reason. Try also reading Xp tweak guide that tell you whats eating up all ur memory, trust me there some memory sucking monsters out there! Anyhow, I find keeping a laptop from turning into your old Pentium1 is to spend as much time as you did money on ways to optimize it for whatever its used for, I dont agree with overclocking proccessors/graphics cards(heat becomes a problem then!) Memory is ok.

thx, Mark

Edit By Bill: Nice triple posting there, I've merged the 3 posts for you, if this bothers you just say so......

As a mod I guess it is my duty to keep this place cleaned up, so it atleast looks like I'm doing something lol. :)

Edited by Bill

• 1 month later...

AMD athlon 64 3000+ 768mem and Nvidia Geforce FX go5700 64mb 8xAGP and Directx 9.0 here too guys. I think there is a serius overheating problem and nothing else. Say I play Thief ok? Well I am under an airconditioner blowing air of 18C on the lappy and I got a 4 inches fun targeting the keyboard. The temp is at a nice 56. Then I open the game (it supports alt-tab) with the temperature meter of nvidia open in the background. After 30 seconds or so the game starts falling. I alt-tab it and what i see there? 98C dropping fast! Conclussion. Allthough the threshold is 115C at 96C starts the dropping of the framerate. If u got the CPU graph open too u ll see that under those sircumstanses the cpu usage is 100% at thet time. If anyone have solved this thing please help.

oops! I tried 3dmax and i got no slowing at all! Just like Mark says! What's going on here! I ll try Tweak XP to see!

Sort One:

Tried everything.game XP, defrac, tweakXP, Ice, Fans, opengl (Homeworld), NOTHING PREVENTS THE TEMP FROM GOING TO 98 IN 30 SEC!! PLEASE HLP!!!

I AM VIRTUALLY NOT ABLE TO PLAY GAMES ANY MORE!

Long One:

I dought whether any of those solutions WORK for PLAYING GAMES.

I mean before I go out and buy all of them just to try them out I need to crosscheck something.

1.I am under an aiconditioner now. The temperature outside is 31C.

2.On my desk is 20C and the airconditioner blows air of 18 right on the my laptop.

3.The laptop lies on a USB coolling base of only one fan that blows air TO the laptop. 4.Under the base (witch is high inough) I ve put ICE CUBES just to be sure that the air that goes to the laptop is cooler than the environment air.

Under those conditions: Nvidia Temperature setup says

GPU T = 50C

enviroment T = 40C

BUT when I play Area 51 demo, Myst revelation, Thief 3, any other 3d game I get the same drop in frame rate that people in GAMING report. For games that support alt-tab I can say thet when it happens the temp is 96C. For Area 51 WAS 78C when that happened or it dropped fast while i was trying to exit the game and watch the GPU temp.

All these make me unsure of whether any of the solutions uall recoment are aplied to my problem.

:) Additionaly a friend of mine with an Acer 1673wlmi ATI radeon 9700 and two internal fans does NOT report any framerate drop and he plays the same games with me for hours. PLEASE HELP. I JUST CAN'T PLAY GAMES. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE ACCEPTABLE WITH ETERNAL GRATITUDE :P :)

File open at 14:40:34 08/01/05

-----------------------------------------------------------------

- LaptopVideo2Go.com (D.I.R.T.) Display Information Retrieval Tool

- Build Date: Feb 10 2005

Retrieving Display Information...

- Board Type : GeForce

- Adapter : GeForce FX Go5700

- Device : \\.\DISPLAY1

- Driver : 6.14.10.7776

- Mode : Single-Display

- Number : 1

- Head : 0

- Name : Οθόνη φορητού

- Vendor : NVIDIA

- Model : NVD0800

- Identifier : 0xAADC7D02

- Generic : Οθόνη φορητού

- Type : Laptop Display Panel

- Size : 3200 x 2000mm (approximately 14.9")

- Transfer : 1.00

- Optimal : 1280 x 800 x 60 Hz

- Largest : 1280 x 800 x 60 Hz

Current Display Information...

- Resolution : 1280 x 800 pixels

- Depth : 32-bit

- Refresh : 60 Hz

- Rotation : 0-degrees

- Pannable : 1280 x 800 pixels (0,0)-(1280,800)

- TV Format : Not applicable

- DFP Scaling: Scaling

Other Values...

- Display Settings -

- Display State : Single-Display

- FP Native Res : 1280 x 800 pixels

- PowerMizer Settings -

- Battery Level : Maximum Performance

- AC Level : Maximum Performance

- Temperature Settings -

- Core Temp : 63 Celsius

- Ambient Temp : 57 Celsius

- Upper Limit : 115 Celsius

- Video Card Settings -

- Video RAM Size : 64MB

- AGP Bus Mode : 4x

- AGP Transfer Rate : 8x

- AGP Limit : 0x10000000

- Current AA Value : Off

- Frame Queue Limit : 3

Color Correction Values...

- Digital Vibrance Level ( 0 - 63): 0

- Gamma Level ( 0.5-6.0): 1.00 1.00 1.00

- Brightness Level (-125-125): 0 0 0

- Contrast Level (-82 - 82): 0 0 0

- Sharpness Level ( 0 - 21): 0

- Normalized Brightness Level ( 0.0-1.0): 0.50 0.50 0.50

- Normalized Contrast Level ( 0.0-1.0): 0.50 0.50 0.50

- Normalized Sharpness Level ( 0.0-1.0): 0.00

File closed at 14:40:34 08/01/05

DEVCON...

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0347&SUBSYS_006E1025&REV_A1\4&83D6234&0&0008

Name: NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5700

Hardware ID's:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0347&SUBSYS_006E1025&REV_A1

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0347&SUBSYS_006E1025

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0347&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0347&CC_0300

Compatible ID's:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0347&REV_A1

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0347

PCI\VEN_10DE&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_10DE&CC_0300

PCI\VEN_10DE

PCI\CC_030000

PCI\CC_0300

1 matching device(s) found.

DISPLAY\DEFAULT_MONITOR\5&4C8DC62&4&00000100&01&00

Name: Hardware ID's:

Monitor\Default_Monitor

Compatible ID's:

*PNP09FF

DISPLAY\NVD0800\5&4C8DC62&4&00000110&01&00

Monitor\NVD0800

Compatible ID's:

*PNP09FF

DISPLAY\PNP09FE\5&4C8DC62&4&00000200&01&00

Monitor\PNP09FE

Compatible ID's:

*PNP09FF

3 matching device(s) found.

Details of OS, SystemBIOS, VideoBIOS, RAM, DX etc.

installed CPU: 1 x AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3400+

current CPU Speed: N/A MHz (default: 2201 MHz)

SystemBiosVersion: PTLTD - 6040000\0PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0 \0Ver 1.00PARTTBL8\0\0

SystemBiosDate: 10/26/04

VideoBiosVersion: Version 4.36.20.46.04 \0Version 4.36.20.46.04 \0Version 4.36.20.46.04 \0Version 4.36.20.46.04 \0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0

VideoBiosDate: 09/03/04

free RAM: 288,78 MB

installed RAM: 512,00 MB

RAM Upgrade Limit: N/A

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

--------------------

DirectX Debug Levels

--------------------

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

-------------

Sound Devices

-------------

-----------

DirectMusic

-----------

-------------------

DirectInput Devices

-------------------

----------------------------

DirectPlay Service Providers

----------------------------

MSINFO...

£ ©¬©«γ£«¦: PISKOPANIS

[?¬¤¦§« ΅γ §¨ ¨­γ ©¬©«γ£«¦]

?«¦ ®ε¦ ? £γ

£ Ά «¦¬¨ ΅¦η Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

λ΅?¦© 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

?«©΅¬©«γ Ά «¦¬¨ ΅¦η Microsoft Corporation

£ ©¬©«γ£«¦ PISKOPANIS

??«©΅¬©«γ ©¬©«γ£«¦ Acer

?¦¤«βΆ¦ ©¬©«γ£«¦ Aspire 1520

?秦 ©¬©«γ£«¦ PC ?© 棤¦ © X86

?§¥¨©«γ x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 10 AuthenticAMD ~2201 Mhz

λ΅?¦© BIOS/?£¨¦£¤ε Phoenix V1.09, 26/10/2004

λ΅?¦© SMBIOS 2.3

?«αΆ¦¦ Windows C:\WINDOWS

?«αΆ¦¦ ©¬©«γ£«¦ C:\WINDOWS\system32

?¬©΅¬γ ΅΅ε¤© \Device\HarddiskVolume2

?¦§¦©ε ?ΆΆα?

?§ε§?¦ ­ε¨© ¬Ά ΅¦η λ΅?¦© = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"

£ ®¨γ©« PISKOPANIS\Silvester

?ι¤ ι¨ ? £¨ ¤γ ι¨ GTB

?¬¤¦Ά ΅γ §¨£« ΅γ £¤γ£ 512,00 MB

? β© £ ­¬© ΅γ £¤γ£ 272,38 MB

?¬¤¦Ά ΅γ ΅¦¤ ΅γ £¤γ£ 2,00 GB

? β© £ ΅¦¤ ΅γ £¤γ£ 1,95 GB

?騦 ¨®ε¦¬ ©Ά ?¦§¦ε© 2,13 GB

?¨®ε¦ ©Ά ?¦§¦ε© D:\pagefile.sys

[¨ ?αΆΆ¦¤ Ά¦ ©£ ΅¦η]

[?¤­¦¨α ©­αΆ£«¦ «ΰ¤ Windows]

π¨ ?秦 §«¦£β¨

30/4/2005 11:52 §£ MsiInstaller ¤«¦§ ©£ζ «¦¬ §¨¦δ椫¦ "{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}", ?¬¤«ζ«« "SpellingAndGrammarFiles_1036" §β«¬® ΅«α «¤ ε«© «¦ ©«¦ ®ε¦ "{87E0AB84-3287-11D4-8C35-0000F8040C5E}"

30/4/2005 11:47 §£ MsiInstaller ¤«¦§ ©£ζ «¦¬ §¨¦δ椫¦ "{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}", ?¬¤«ζ«« "SpellingAndGrammarFiles_1036" §β«¬® ΅«α «¤ ε«© «¦ ©«¦ ®ε¦ "{87E0AB84-3287-11D4-8C35-0000F8040C5E}"

NVEDID...

*** [Controller #0] VBE/DDC Capabilities ***

Completion Status AX=004Fh BX=0000h CX=0000h DX=0000h

Transfer EDID block BH=00h

DDC Capabilities BL=00h

*** [Controller #1] VBE/DDC Capabilities ***

Completion Status AX=004Fh BX=0000h CX=0001h DX=0000h

DDC Capabilities BL=00h

*** [Controller #2] VBE/DDC Capabilities ***

Completion Status AX=004Fh BX=0000h CX=0002h DX=0000h

DDC Capabilities BL=00h

*** [Controller #3] VBE/DDC Capabilities ***

Completion Status AX=024Fh BX=0000h CX=0003h DX=0000h

DDC Capabilities BL=00h

Completion Status AX=8615h BX=0000h CX=0000h DX=0000h

Completion Status AX=8615h BX=0000h CX=0001h DX=0000h

Completion Status AX=8615h BX=0000h CX=0002h DX=0000h

Hi all,

First post for me.

I have recently aquired an Acer 1522 and had the same problems in GTA San Andreas.

I ammended the settings, as on the homepage for maximum performance and it seems ok now. I have noticed it does run hot, but runs the same temp as before but no drop in frames.

Take care,

Aaron :)

What do u mean "it does run hot, but runs the same temp as before...". The problem starts at 96C (when the lines get red). No matter what game or settings cause that high temp. Did you check your exact temp? Did you check whether you are at Alaska or somewhere near cus during winder its more dificult to get those temps the first half an hour

What do u mean "it does run hot, but runs the same temp as before...". The problem starts at 96C (when the lines get red). No matter what game or settings cause that high temp. Did you check your exact temp? Did you check whether you are at Alaska or somewhere near cus during winder its more dificult to get those temps the first half an hour

I mean, after turning certain settings down, it still runs the same temp as before (85-98).

Have you turned Antialiasing to off instead of application controlled? as that helped alot.

I live in UK so its not that cold, and its not as hot as where you are. I may not see 96C as quick as you, but in high graphic intense parts of the game it does reach 96C and even higher.

I see we have exactly the same laptops, so should be able to sort it out.

My friend! I ve started a new topic (Acer Aspre 1524WLMi Users Unite) to find a way out of this problem there u can read my unswer.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Prescott

Lol guys

i think i found new friends lol.Why ? Cause i got the same problem!!!I've got an Toshiba Satellite 5200-802 with the Geforce 5600go 64 mb...i always could play games like half life 2,c&c generals zero hour...nfsu 1&2, Star wars galaxies,Far Cry,warcraft 3,gta San andreas fine till about 4 weeks ago it started in GTA where all of a sudden from smooth gameplay the fps drops down and the whole game runs slow!!! Same with folders, all of a sudden hard to open folders....in warcraft 3 its skipping frames....i play...it stops then catches up and i died lol....

I send it 2 repair...they fixed the HDD nothing else could be found....but hey the labtop gets soooooo hot!!!! What would be if the Graphic is damaged allrdy? the fan is funnywise not always on while playing games or working with intense software such as 3ds max.. or sound forge or especially video editing in premiere!! then it cracks down.

I thought its the driver,but i changed the drivers 6 times allrdy with no difference....i can imagine it could get 2 hot or the fan is damaged or broken in some cases.

now what to do...

have u ever cleaned the gpu or cpu heatsink not from dust but either the paste that comes from the mfg or if u put some on urself, some as5 might do the trick

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have exactly same problem, but it is not 96C.. it is 105C. 105 Celsius is programmed by bios slowdown temp to prevent overheat. I do not know why Acer make for sale so "unplayeble" laptop.. One thing is really strange: some games are normal(e.g. temp 70-80C) and some are really hot. NFSU is allright but not Wolfenshtain Return to Custle, and playing Pro Race Driver is thery hot.

I thinck that it is hardware problem so call to support and do not make overclocking, you will lose your warranty..

Thanks

Those 5700´s seem to be hot-running beasts...I can push mine to over 90, perhaps 95 and have suffered from slowdowns, but it seems to depend on the driver, too. Some drivers required core underclocking and still developed slowdown after about 10 mins. Earlier 81.40 was quite tolerant and now 81.87 feels tolerant also, permitting slight overclocking. On my computer the core slowdown treshold is 130, so 90+ should be no problem. The original WHQL 5.3.5.1. had a treshold of 120.

• 1 month later...
Guest Paulos Gessos
Those 5700´s seem to be hot-running beasts...I can push mine to over 90, perhaps 95 and have suffered from slowdowns, but it seems to depend on the driver, too. Some drivers required core underclocking and still developed slowdown after about 10 mins. Earlier 81.40 was quite tolerant and now 81.87 feels tolerant also, permitting slight overclocking. On my computer the core slowdown treshold is 130, so 90+ should be no problem. The original WHQL 5.3.5.1. had a treshold of 120.

I have Acer Aspire 1524. My problem is this: When I "press" the CPU to work in 2200MHz with CPU Burn program, it works only for 30 seconds and then it reduces the frequency to 800 MHz!

In Linux, there is no reduce of frequency but in 50 seconds it says "Fatal Kernel Error: 99C CPU overhead" and rebooting....

I will send it to ACER next week. I have 3 years warranty ;-)

I have Acer Aspire 1524. My problem is this: When I "press" the CPU to work in 2200MHz with CPU Burn program, it works only for 30 seconds and then it reduces the frequency to 800 MHz!

In Linux, there is no reduce of frequency but in 50 seconds it says "Fatal Kernel Error: 99C CPU overhead" and rebooting....I will send it to ACER next week. I have 3 years warranty ;-)

Probably insufficient thermal compound between the CPU and heat sink; mine could be pushed just to 78C and on that temp it was already downclocked, 25% in math test.