LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Toshiba M40 driver installation

bg_drift

Hi all, I tried to install both the 77.70 and 77.72 drivers but both result in the same problem.

After they were installed, the screen keeps getting all these random black flickerings, with my mouse being very jerky and unable to move, and then ends in a BSOD saying the likely suspect is nv4_disp... anyone has a solution this? I'm currently experiencing trouble playing some avi files and playing guild wars that's why i was looking for these drivers in the first place.

Thanks in advance.

After looking at some forum posts it seems that other M40 users are installing these drivers fine... weird... can someone please help me out? Thanks alot.

Did you use Driver cleaner pro to remove any remains of old files? then install a fresh copy of 77.xx... Should work....

I'll try with the driver cleaner pro... hopefully it works. Thanks.

Just tried after using driver cleaner pro, still fails miserably. Once I restart, the screen begins to flicker and then all the graphics becomes all screwed up.

Go back and try your original driver... one that you know worked before. If it fails, you might be having a hardware failure. If it succeeds, we'll know it's a driver problem.

Yeah, I'm using my original driver now. It works fine except for playing some AVI file. When I play these files the screen becomes all stuffed and the computer stops responding. However, if I uninstall my default drivers then these files play fine... I don't know what to do now...

Try going into the Overlay page and checking the "Enable VMR" checkbox. That's solved video problems for a lot of people.

Toshiba laptop drivers sometimes need some extra tweaking to work right. Maybe there are some other Tosh Go6600 out there who can help.

Sorry, can you describe where is the overlay page? I cannot see the Enable VMR checkbox. I only have a pull-down box in one of the tabs that says overlap/VMR

Thanks.

It's in the nvidia control panel, just below the Color Corrections menu item when you first open the control panel.

Okay, I've found the page, but I don't have a checkbox in there at all. I've got a few sliders and a pull-down box, a diagram where I can click on the four corners and the centre of it, and two buttons, that's it.

I've attached a screenshot, but it's in Chinese, sorry for inconvenience.

post-3-11212526310_thumb.jpg

It's not an inconvenience at all. In the [nv_ControlPanelSettings] section of your inf, add the following line:

HKLM,"Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak",NVCplShowEnableVMR,%REG_DWORD%,1

When you reinstall, the box should appear at the bottom of that page.

He could just click this attachment instead of re-installing the driver.

Much quicker than re-installing Larry, you should know better. :)

:)

Bill

enable_VMR.reg

Edited by Bill

You're right, Bill. What can I say? :)

The added advantage to this method is you don't even need to reinstall. Just adding this key will enable the VMR box.

Thanks guys, it sort of solved all the problems related to playing AVI files. Am still using old drivers, guess I just have to try install new ones now.

just tried installing the 77.70 drivers. still failed miserably. The screen still flickers badly :)

Bit of an update. I'm using Toshiba's 73.40 now... it *seems* to work fine... need to run it more to see if it's stable though... Thanks for all the help guys.