LaptopVideo2Go Forums

UXGA laptops no longer exist? :(

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Hi, I am currently owning a Toshiba Satellite s5105 which has 1600x1200 display as the native. I would like to shift to a better laptop mainly because of the **old** graphics card, a Geforce4 440 go 32MB, to something better - at least 128MB, Nvidia of course :)

any suggestions? so far i have tried looking at online shops, but most laptops are only up to 1280x1024 or 1400x ranges. isnt there anything out there that can give me my good 1600x1200 resolution? ...even if not Toshiba, if that's the only option.... though i prefer Toshiba :P

and of course, seems that Toshiba no longer manufuctures cPad laptops, but went back to only Touchpads? or am i wrong ( i really love that cPad :) , and wouldn't want to get a laptop without one)

btw, am in Germany.....so offers in Germany are more applicable. i.e. online shops, etc.

Good catch and unfortunately that seems to be true.

What a coincidence, when i was just browsing @NewEgg (seems to be equal with what we know as Alternate, Mindfactory or eBug etc.) i also realized that fact. I made a search for Go 6600 (they offer no search for Go 6800 :) ) and wanted as other criterium a 1600x1200 panel, but it is not included in their list :P

The trend goes to WideScreen and so 1600x1200 will vanish. Here's a nice table of the relationship between Resolution, Ration and screen size (courtesy of LCDs4Less.com):

post-9-11206014110.gif

More info about LCD screens can be found [HERE]

Until today i never saw any Laptop having built in the cPad, so i think cPad was a unique appearance for Toshiba's 5x00 series. Synaptics and news sites made oodles of announcements back in the days that touchpads with enhanced functions, subLCDscreens etc. will be the future, but too bad that didn't came true.

Most of the Laptops available to buy with GeForce Go 6xxx are listed [HERE].

Stay with us, young NVader :(

:)

Where are these laptops, or just plain LCD montiors, with a 2048x1536 screen res?

Biggest I have seen I think is the 1920x1600.

To the guest, you can get that screen with quite a few Dell laptops now, the IXPS, I9300, and others as well.

Guest sPHINN

Well, the Dell sells a few laptops with WUXGA screens (the XPS2 & the Inspiron 9300) and I do believe Sony does too.. Mostly because a few of the regulars in the Dell part of notebookforums.com have replaced their Dell shipped WUXGA with a Sony (which is actually a Sharp if I'm not mistaken) WUXGA.

• 4 months later...
Hi, I am currently owning a Toshiba Satellite s5105 which has 1600x1200 display as the native. I would like to shift to a better laptop mainly because of the **old** graphics card, a Geforce4 440 go 32MB, to something better - at least 128MB, Nvidia of course :)

any suggestions? so far i have tried looking at online shops, but most laptops are only up to 1280x1024 or 1400x ranges. isnt there anything out there that can give me my good 1600x1200 resolution? ...even if not Toshiba, if that's the only option.... though i prefer Toshiba :)

and of course, seems that Toshiba no longer manufuctures cPad laptops, but went back to only Touchpads? or am i wrong ( i really love that cPad :P , and wouldn't want to get a laptop without one)

btw, am in Germany.....so offers in Germany are more applicable. i.e. online shops, etc.

In australia Toshiba still has a Tecra S2 P-M 770 (2.13AGHz) with a 15" uxga see this link

tacra S2 with uxga

AFAIK the above S2 is the only Toshiba with UXGA, it also has a Geforce Go6600 128Mb (although regrettably the "TE" OEM version).

No more cPad..

This one had a price drop just tonight.. now RRP's for AU$4180 but it still isn't cheap.

I personally have an S3 with 1400x1050, 128MB gfg6600 (non te) and am quite happy with the res, its much better than 1024x without the need to squint at 1600x.

The Tecra A4 makes a nice midground with a widescreen 1680x1050, however only has an x600 with 256mb "hypermemory" (basically dynamically allocates system ram).

These are aussie models of course.. so only a rough guide to what may be available in germany.

Edited by mattman

• 1 year later...

Ugh, I just read this post from a 2005 and realized I am out of it. I have a 3 yr old IBM T42 with a 15" UXGA LCD. My boss gave me the go-ahead to upgrade so I started looking for a new UXGA Thinkpad only to discover the no longer exist! For those of us that actually enjoy the squint mode of a UXGA display the thought of SXGA or the WSXGA+ is out of the question! Is anyone making UXGA anymore, really? I could even go for WUXGA. But either way it looks like it won't be a Thinkpad :) .

I am going to miss the quality keyboard, but oh well, I gotta have at least 15" 1600x1200. Ideas?

There are quite a few 15.4" 1920x1200's out there now that would be a lot like a 15" 1600x1200... I can't name any off the top of my head, but Dell comes to mind.

I know what you mean though. I used to have a Toshiba 5205 15" 1600x1200 glossy.... BEAUTIFUL screen. Now I downgraded (screenwise) to a 15.4" MacBook Pro. It's glossy, but it's a bit grainy and I like higher resolutions...

• 2 weeks later...
There are quite a few 15.4" 1920x1200's out there now that would be a lot like a 15" 1600x1200... I can't name any off the top of my head, but Dell comes to mind.

I know what you mean though. I used to have a Toshiba 5205 15" 1600x1200 glossy.... BEAUTIFUL screen. Now I downgraded (screenwise) to a 15.4" MacBook Pro. It's glossy, but it's a bit grainy and I like higher resolutions...

I've got an m9700 with a WUXGA screen, I get resolutions such as 1920x1200,1600x1200,1400x1050,etc...