LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Acer Aspire 1524WLMi users Unite

piskopanis

Ayone who knows how to eliminate the problem? Fans, Ice, Cooling systems DON'T work! Something else causes this! Please Help. I ve tried everything. Games examples. Homeworld 2, Area 51, Thief 3, Fate demo and every other 3d game available. No problem in 3Dmax, photoshop and other heavy applications though.

piskopanis.LaptopVideo2Go_Logfile.txt

Edited by ®®®

I mean, after turning certain settings down, it still runs the same temp as before (85-98). Have you turned Antialiasing to off instead of application controlled? as that helped alot.

Dear Rover220coupeturbo

Your advise was right on the target and narrowed the problem a bit.

Turning off the antialising the temp rised to 98 much slower than before and I was able to play for 5 minutes. But after the first and second attack eventually it climbed to 99 and allthough the threshold is 115 and I souldn't care much the well known anoying sort drop in framerate started to happen after 96.

I cant find any way to cool down the GPU allthough I used every available cooling means reported in this forum.

What I kindly recoment us is to start an experiment with a game that we both have like the (Area 51 demo which u can find in this month's DVD of PC Gamer UK). This could probably give us the chance to narrow down the problem more.

Thank youThank youThank youThank youThank you

:)

It just sounds like your asking too much.

Try different things, turning Antialiasing off, etc. First try a different resolution. If you using, go down until the game is playable.

eg. I was playing GTA San Andreas 1200 x 800 32 with maximum everything. It was playable, until alot started happening and the GPU just couldn't cope, mayeb because its getting too hot or just not good enough, either way it can't cope. I turned different things down then started playing in 1200 x 800 16 and it was fine.

I then did wha Pieter (?) suggest on the main LP2GO page in the max performance section, and I could play it 1200 x 800 32 fine, I then put each setting up until it was unplayable so I knew what was causing the problem. Turn out it was the Antialiasing for me, it may be something else for the game you are playing.

You will find what it is eventually, just keep at it, don't give up and don't let it get to you. :)

Oh, I will get the Area 51 demo later when I get home and play about and see if I get the same problem.

Edited by ®®®

Report:

Area51 Demo: 640X480 lowest settings in everything

Nvidia: Antialiasing off,anisotropic off, vertical sync ...anyway every possible aspect of the settings are now off.

I played the game for all the level fast and the temp was steady at 94C. Never climbed farther. The feamerate never dropped since this happen at 96-97.

Checking Thief3 now.

Thief3: 800X600 everything at low

Nvidia: same

Temp goes up tp 96 slowly after 15 min the framerate dropping is very tiny allthough it exist if u watch carefully.

These settings ofcourse make the games agly, almost unplayable.. What we need is a way to keep it under 93 all the time. Or a driver to command the card NOT to drop the framerate at 96.

7776 with Peter's tweaked inf from here. Latest stuff. After Therapy's instructions.

REPORT: I ve just installed and played Grand Theft Auto 3 (the old one, first eddition) in 1024X768X32 with everything on and up 'cxept vertical sync and my card with everything controlled by the aplication and the ###### game ran like a rabit. Temp jumped to 93 only temporaly and after 1 houre but I didnt notice it in the game. Whats going on here! I am bloody impressed I might add.

I am using 7777.

GTA 3 should run easy, San Andreas is more DX9 intense I think.

I will get Area 51 demo frmo somewhere later and let you know what happens.

Edited by ®®®

Well, you are right.

Plays fine, every now and again slows down. It is playable like it, but its ###### anoying.

I have tried a few things, and after turning everything off (antialiasing etc.) and have found it runs best at 800 x 600.

Obviously, we want to run at the highest resolution, but I just think its too much for the GPU to take.

Its a good game, great gfx and fx. Im suprised it runs at all, but ti does and pretty smooth.

UPDATE: I changed thesystem performance setting to High Performance and it seems alot better, am running 1200 x 800 now and it doesnt slow down as much, in fact hardly at all.

You're pushing a borderline midrange card far beyond what it's intended to do. If you wanted to game effectively on your laptop, you should have chosen one with a better video card. :)

Edit By Bill: *wacks Ronin on his head with a large trout :) * While I know how you love to brag, not everyone gets brand new laptops shipped to them every so many months you know, now is not the time for bashing, now people using old Rage Pros or whatever from like almost 10 years ago or something....

I do agree that the guy needs to learn his laptop isn't the fastest on the planet, but you shouldn't be so harsh.

Edited by Bill

1) Not all of us can afford that good a laptop

2) It plays fine set up correctly