LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Lid standby issue - no black bar 52.16 w/9.6 inf

Tenstrum

Situsina:

I don't have any of those hot fixes installed. They don't apply to my machine. I've had Win XP SP1a installed since it first came out with no problems until a week ago when this crap started happening. I do appreciate the help.

I'm going to save all my important files and try to the System Restore disks that came with my laptop. If they don't put my laptop back right, then its back to Circuit City.

I appreciate everyone's help.

My main problem is that the 60-series make the cpu or gpu running extra hot and so the fan is constantly running.

May I suggest adding the following setting to your inf and reinstalling:

HKR,, dynEngCtrlEnabled, %REG_DWORD%, 2

I recently observed that my 2d/3d clocks were acting strangely when using PowerMizer. Essentially, the clocks would stick at 3d rates even when doing simple Windows 2d work. This setting, which is default in Dell infs, seems to fix the problem, but I have not double-checked this. If it works, it should allow cooler running when "idling".

-Scott-

Edited by dontknow

If this does work, then I'll add to my INFs in the future for all.

Good work Scott,

Pieter.

Looks like I'm back in business. The complete format and loading the Toshiba system recovery disks have got me back to DMA Mode 5. You don't think it was the mod inf that corrupted my system do you?

It'll be a couple of days before I can get my system back to normal. Then I'll start testing.

I've added the line to the 20.50 inf (driver 61.11). Meanwhile I've also checked my registry and indeed all drivers had this setting.

So far so good, the GPU temp has dropped from 70° C to 58° C when idle. I'll do some serious work tomorrow (some compiling etc) and let you know if it stays that good.

If this is also fixed than the 61.11 is definitely a winner.

I'll also report tomorrow if the 4200go needs the first or the second fix for the standby issue. The lid closure problem is not here, so that's already great!

Thanks everyone!

oVan

Here are the results of the jury :)

* Tested both versions of the Standby-fix. On my Dell Latitude D800 with GeForce4 4200go the second option ("with Stand-by fix") is the one that works, the other one locks up. Are you making a list of working combo's?

* As mentioned before the lid closure is solved in the 60-series.

* The temperature however is not much better. :) This morning it is 47 for cpu and 67 for gpu, and rising. I hope I included the line correctly, I added it to the nv_tweaks section.

oVan

AARRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angryfire:

My Toshiba is still running like crap! I can hear the hard drive clicking whenever it is supposed to be "idle"!

So now I think that it was probably my hard drive instead of the ATA controller that is going bad!! :angry:

Definitely sending it back to Circuit City!

As you're using WinXP Pro, you should be able to see "Disk" events appearing in the Event Viewer; if so, make a backup :) and replace the evil thing!

oVan

AARGGGGHH!! AGAIN!!

I as messing around with my laptop, took out the hard drive, plugged it back in, and booted it up just to see if it worked. Guess what?? It's running great again!!!! ......................

So either my HD was loose or its just going bad....think I'll get it replaced either way...

On an up note. I reinstalled 52.16 w/11.65 INF and no display problems!!

YAY!

Here's my feedback.. On the Dell Inspiron 8200 with the Quadro 4 Go 700GL, without the standby fixed inf... when resuming - the screen doesn't turn back on... With the standby fixed inf, when resuming, the screen comes back on but the machine locks solid immediately after that.

Oooooohhhh, you guys want the screen back on and the laptop working.

No one said that, I fixed the screen resume fault :)

Bugger, more work required on this, but we are one step closer.

Almighty1 does your Quadro have temp sensors, could you plese check v20.51 INF with 61.11 and the

HKR,, dynEngCtrlEnabled,             %REG_DWORD%,    2
this is supposed to lower the temp and have correct 2D/3D GPU clock settings (not sure if this is only for go5700)

Pieter.

Pieter, I mean this is great progress considering I've never got past black screen ever since I had the 8200 which is close to 2 years.... I am using the 20.51 and I don't really know if the GPU temp is lower as it's running at 58C for the idle GPU temp. I think it might be +5C max before. Oh yeah, you had 61.12 listed on the inf history page for 20.51, trying to get that development driver version out the door Pieter? :)

Whoops, and I havn't even looked @ 61.12 yet.

Error corrected,

Pieter.

Hi guys!

I've downloaded 61.11 and tried the 11.66 inf. Guess what! No Black Bar! No Standby Hibernate Issue!! YAY!! :)

I do have some wierdness going on in the nVidia panel. According to it I'm using driver version 45.91 instead of 61.11. When I installed 52.16, it was listed as 52.16. I've attached a screen shot. Notice the version.

This is the way I installed 61.11:

I downloaded 61.11 from the download section. Download 11.66 inf from the Toshiba Owners forum post. Extracted 61.11 to my desktop. Copied 11.66 inf over into the extracted 61.11 folder. Went to Driver Tab. Did an update drive. Pointed it to the 61.11 folder. Update proceeded just fine. Rebooted. No black bar. Tested Hibernation. Worked fine. I then went and checked the NV Display Panel and noticed that I had Direct X 8.0 (I had forgot to upate to 9.0b after wiping out my hard drive) so I updated to 9.0b and retested. No issues.

But, I'm concerned about the version reading as 45.91. Am i using 45.91 or 61.11???

I'll also post this in the Toshiba Owners Section as well.

post-3-1084544517_thumb.jpg

Whoops, and I havn't even looked @ 61.12 yet.

Error corrected,

Pieter.

Heh, thought you were trying to beat everyone else with a new driver for once! :) :)