LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GeForce Go 6800, overheat while gaming!!?!?! HELP!

Guest GizmOWND

Guest GizmOWND

ok, i really need some help.

I am running an Alienware mj12 7700 workstation

P4 3.0 GHz, PCI-Express

1GB ram, 60GB 7200rpm

and GeForce Go 6800 (with driver 6.14.10.7650)

-this is the most updated driver i could find

Originally when i would play CS:S it would work fine, blow out lots of hot air, but be fine. Just sitting on the coffee table running fine, or in my lap. Then all of the sudden the whole laptop just shut off while I was playing. I grabbed where the video card is and that s*** almost scaleded my hand, like touching a hot pan!

And now that I'm playing BF2 it will get super hot. I have to have half the laptop hovering over half the table so it has absolutly nothing underneath it.

Can someone please help me out....do i have the wrong drivers installed? ...both games say i don't have the most updated driver, but this is what Alienware and nVidia's sites both say is the most updated driver.

I know that running the card that ot has to be damaging it...but someone please plese please help me out.

Thanks

Try the 77.77 driver and INF in my signiture, just unzip the driver, and replace the INF in it with the modified one, then install it using the device manager. (see FAQ section)

You should also check out the inside of your laptop, you could have dust buildup or something else might be wrong.

Hopefully you don't have to get out any artic silver 5 and take off heatsinks.

You could also try underclocking a little bit, and get a laptop cooler.

And if you spot something wrong and it is still under warrenty, you could try sending it in to them.

Guest Area-51m 7700

hey, can someone tell me which are the best drivers out right now for the Go 6800 ultra? they originally gave me 7.6.5.0 drivers and that ran the nvidia demo Nalu at 12 fps, but then i got the older drivers, the 7.1.9.1, and they ran the demo at a whopping 20 fps! I don't know if there are any other drivers that can run at higher fps's. if there are, please let me kno :-) thanks alot

System Specs:

Area 51m 7700

3.6 ghz w/ 2mb cache

1gb ddr2 ram

60gb 7200 rpm

Geforce Go 6800 Ultra (256mb) @1440x968

driver: 7700_NVIDIA_7.1.9.1

• 1 month later...
hey, can someone tell me which are the best drivers out right now for the Go 6800 ultra? they originally gave me 7.6.5.0 drivers and that ran the nvidia demo Nalu at 12 fps, but then i got the older drivers, the 7.1.9.1, and they ran the demo at a whopping 20 fps! I don't know if there are any other drivers that can run at higher fps's. if there are, please let me kno :-) thanks alot

System Specs:

Area 51m 7700

3.6 ghz w/ 2mb cache

1gb ddr2 ram

60gb 7200 rpm

Geforce Go 6800 Ultra (256mb) @1440x968

driver: 7700_NVIDIA_7.1.9.1

78.11 works for me, and performed better than 76.50 i believe. you could also try 81.87, its apparently good and improves image quality, and the only known issue is some inverted colour with video playback that is 1280x720 or bigger.