LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Boot from Style Bay DVD

Guest Casper

I have been given a 5200 with a broken primary dvd and a crashed ( but servicable hdd)

My questions are:

1. Can I boot and load from a style bay dvd/cd? I need to know if it's worth buying one.

or

2. Where can I get a replacement DVD for a reasonable price. The best that I have been able to find is about AU$800 !!!

3. What about a PCMCIA cdrom? Any other ideas/suggestions?

I have a set of original restore cd's.

I would be grateful for any assistance.

Great site, I have been reading it for hours before I posted this :)

P.S. Anyone know the part number. I am at sea and don't have the unit with me.

Casper.

Guest snipe122

As far as I know you can boot from every usb-device, that means as well from usb-dvd drive. I just ordered a new drive for my notebook at www.alternate.de for 109 euros, pioneer DVR-K05L Slim, 8x dvd+-r/rw and DL support, !! SLOT IN !! :)

Knowing that the BIOS in these Toshibas is software controlled, and supposing that you can't boot at all from your crashed HDD to change said BIOS settings, I'd say you'd have better luck getting an external drive enclosure and hooking it up to another computer to fix whatever problems you have. Then, after all is said and done, you can have an extra external drive, which could be useful.

EDIT: Or maybe you can just find a replacement for the original DVD drive and install that... but good luck finding one and installing it.

Offtopic: I just got mine replaced at service and it's broken down again - not even a month after! ######.

Guest ®®®

sn0wl, the i send the (btw superb) WiFi card on monday or tuesday last week as standard letter. It should give no problems as it seems like a business letter or something, so no tax or the like... :) I hope it arrives soon.

Can I boot and load from a style bay dvd/cd?
Yes it should work with your Toshiba 5xx0-xxx Laptop, just use the left or right arrow key to navigate through the Boot Icon Menu. The second from the left is StyleBay.
As far as I know you can boot from every usb-device, that means as well from usb-dvd drive.
As stated in THIS thread, i found no way to boot the 5200 Laptop from USB stick. Though i'm aware that probably the Netac U230 (also a triple USB Boot ID device just like my SwissBit USB stick) is able to do that impossible task :)

greetings ®®®

Thanks very much for the help.

I'll give it a go FAO.

P.S. Just joined. Once again great site, very friendly and helpful

Thank you RRR, I hope it arrives soon without any problems! Well, actually I'm not in a hurry since it will be at service nowadays so...

Anyway I will get in touch with you as soon as it arrives :) Should I contact you via work work mail?

Work is indeed better for the time i have no internet at home :P :( :) :P :P

The card just is amazing it detecs like 15 WLANs where from my girlfriend Toshiba with INtel BG2200 it only detects like 3 or 4. Unbelievable range (XR technology= extended range). The only problem is that in Germany most people secure their WLANs :) :( . Anyways.... my Burner is also defect since months. Again. I'm sure it came defect from service which was 2 weeks :) .

I've just had a look at my laptop and the system unit id is PS520A-31P1MP.

I can't find any real infomation on the web. Any ideas?

I have never actually had it running with an os on it so I can't check the gpu etc.

(I swapped a modded xbox for it!)

I tried to use an old 10x out of a tecra that I had for spare parts but it would recognise it. (bummer). Looks like I'll have to order the pioneer. :)

OFF TOPIC

What is the brand and model of the WiFi card (Re RRR and sn0wl posts)?

Sounds like a fine addition.