LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell 5200, Flicker OR Slow Video

bretthoerner

I installed windows and tried the newest Dell drivers (the ones mentiond here that Dell just released to 'fix flicker when playback of MPEG movies) ... yeah, well, when I play back movies the screen still flickers... this has always been a problem with this GPU/Laptop for me in Windows.

I've also tried (and am currently using) the 78.11 ones with the updated INF file from here. With these, I get no video playback at all at first (I FIXED THIS, please don't reply about this part :) ) So I found a fix and enabled the DVR overlay or whatever... videos playback OK now, unless I fullscreen them. If I fullscreen an XVID movie it visibly lags, like 1 FPS or something, it's miserable and a 5200 should be able to playback a simple movie just fine (and can, and does in Linux).

Any ideas on the movie playback? It doesn't happen with Dells, but with those videos flicker the whole screen.

Thanks

Anyone? :)

I get Flicker with Dell Drivers and slow full-screen video with the Laptop2Go drivers. :)

Would be glad to donate if I could get this working.

Give 81.84 a try. It has several improvements in its video performance and may well solve your problem. It's an excellent driver.

If that doesn't work, try dropping all the way back to 67.66. I have the same video card as you and find 67.66 works where many other drivers fail.

One other thing - Make sure you have FastWrites enabled. It's needed to supply the bandwidth for lag-free video performance.