LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Sharing internet connection across 2 laptops

gremline

Hey pple,

I have a Hi-Speed internet access through the local LAN ( non-real IP addresses.. makes use of a DHCP server). My problem is that I would like to share the internet connection from one LAN cable, across 2 laptops that both have Wireless ethernet cards, and also the Intel Pro 100 VE Ethernet cards. the idea is to be able to surf from both laptops, but only one is connected directly to the LAN internet supply.

how do i do this? is it possible?

laptop( wireless + cable internet port) <------------> laptop (wireless + cable internet port)

^

|

|

|

|

single cable LAN internet connection

thanks!

You need to create an "ad hoc" wireless connection between the two laptops, then share the internet connection from the wired laptop.

It should work fine, though a bit of a pain. Much better to plug an inexpensive wireless access point (WAP) into that port and use it for both laptops, as long as you're sure it will supply multiple IP addresses through DHCP. If not, you'd need a wireless router, but those too are pretty inexpensive these days.

Thanks!

I will try that tonight. When sharing the wired internet connection does it require me to specify on the oher laptop how it will connect to the internet? Or if the interent is shared the non-wired laptop will automatically detect the internet connection?

thanks again!

When you share an internet connection the wired laptop becomes a DHCP server and will automatically feed the needed IP information to the wireless one. The trickier part will be creating the ad hoc wireless connection. I would enable internet connection sharing before setting up the wireless network.

newegg.com...N82E16833127158 (D-Link's page)

I would suggest that router, has gigabit ethernet and the firmware upgrades are supposed to be nice, plus it is also a 108mbps wifi router.

Also, considering it has gigabit ports, and some gaming enhancements, the price is not too bad.

I might be getting one soon, in combination with one or more new wifi cards, so I might write a review of it here.

Edited by Bill