LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Problems With The Infamous Geforce Fx Go5700...

embee

Hi guys, I apologise in advance for the hefty post...!

Problems began when playing low spec FPS called Ghost Recon. After maybe 20mins gameplay graphics would simply scatter and flicker and then the game would crash, apparently taking the system with it. After a while I was able to take it back to windows, but with greatly reduced graphics, running at a low rate, with lines appearing vertically and around the cursor. (note: i would have sent screen shots, however in my long process of trying to find a solution i did a complete system restore... more on that later). Anyway, on restart, the system ran fine again, and checking the temp of the nvidia revealed no unusual temperatures. For a while, I only came across this problem after crashing out of Ghost Recon. Oh yeh, and I got the blue screen once of twice to. I will send the info from event viewer as soon as I get back to uni and grab it off my back-up dvds.

However.

Since recently, I have had issues in windows, to begin with, I booted up with what seemed like software graphics, low resolution. I checked inside device manager and the nvidia was not starting due to a code 10. (This device cannot start). So, I checked with good ol' google and it seems this can be common when the IRQ settings in the BIOS are not quite right. However, due to my recent BIOS (and probably crap computer knowledge) I could not find or edit any options. At about the same time, even on startup,the same 'vertical' lines running through my display could be seen across the acer logo on the BIOS startup, and Windows logo on XP startup.

I have since tried installing various drivers, based on similar problems I have found in various forums whilst trawling through google results, but the closest Ive had to success is normal graphics being restored, but, the display would go black for a second... followed by the display returning, then going black... etc etc. Basically, it was I couldn't operate it very well at all.

So, Ive had to settle with this crappy slow vga setting, and its not even recognising my nividia even being there. I get a really slow redraw rate, and if i scroll on web pages etc it takes ages to catch up with me.

[edit:] I can also forget about watching dvds, videos and playing any games.

Ive called Acer, they were pretty crap. Ive emailed Acer, again, they were pretty crap. I'm in the anoying position where I cannot be without a laptop for long (being at uni, doing a pretty intensive course). Therefore, I would prefer to find a solution of my own, rather than send it away for a 'minimum of 10 days', which i cant afford to do. In a last reach at a solution I did the unmentionable and did a full system restore. Guess what... no change. :)

So, I would be incredibly greatful for any help you guys can offer! I will also be happy to give any info you need to find a solution. Thanks - I'm also gona have to use the old cliché that i'm not the greatest when it comes to computer issues, so bear with me :)

Oh yeh, also, the GeforceFX Go5700 is soldered to my mobo, so I cant simply take it down the comp repair shop (neither can i afford it!).

[ACER ASPIRE 1524WLMi, AMD46bit 3400+ ~2.2GHz, NVIDIA GEFORCE FX Go5700 64MB, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, WINDOWS XP HOME SP2, + 1 FRUSTRATED USER]

Edited by embee

even on startup,the same 'vertical' lines running through my display could be seen across the acer logo on the BIOS startup, and Windows logo on XP startup.
If you have trouble (vertical lines) even in the early stage of booting aka short after BIOS initialization, this could be a sign that it's

1. a hardware failure

2. a totally dusted Laptop ventilator aka extreme Heat problem

3. a wrong BIOS settings (which i doubt as you haven't changed anything, have you? Oh and forgot about the IRQ problem. It's old news from back in the days when Windows 98 made problem). Nowadays Laptops are built to pretty well work together with XP without annoying IRQ problems.)

Try uninstalling your old driver (use a driver cleaner) and reinstall one of our drivers with Pieter's mobile INF which even supports one of the recently discovered Go5700 with a rare DEV_ID.

Instruction of how to get rid of PhantomDevices, how to properly install (any) drivers with the "Have-Disk"-method can be found in our FAQ area.

®®®

1. a hardware failure

2. a totally dusted Laptop ventilator aka extreme Heat problem

3. a wrong BIOS settings (which i doubt as you haven't changed anything, have you? Oh and forgot about the IRQ problem. It's old news from back in the days when Windows 98 made problem). Nowadays Laptops are built to pretty well work together with XP without annoying IRQ problems.)

Well my thoughts were that it was a hardware failure, I'm just going to have to resign myself to the thrills of dealing with Acer. It's going to be a long process, but it appears its the only way this is going to be resolved. I just needed a second opinion.

I'm pretty sure it's not a heat/dust problem, as I checked the core following a graphics failure and there was nothing unusual. I've also sprayed a heck of a lot of compressed air down the vent just in case (would have taken the acer apart, but of course that would void my warrantee now, wouldnt it?

Finally, I haven't screwed around with any BIOS settings, you are quite right, and the full system restore should have resolved that even if I had. And thanks for the additional info on the IRQ stuff.

I just hope noone who really needs their laptop has to deal with the dreaded Acer customer support! This is going to take some time... for comedy value, I will post here as soon as I get my laptop back. That is, if they actually get back to me on picking the ###### thing up first!!

Cheers for the help.

Embee

Good luck Embee with your Acer quest, hope all goes well and you can come back here a happy camper :)